• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Using different book methods to learn

Nico.nico

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been practicing with my CBA C-system for a couple of months now. I've finally reached a point where I get to practice almost daily, so I actually feel I'm progressing at a nice pace after a few hiccups. I'm only following books to learn, though the main one I'm using has audio and videos showing the exercises to practice, which helps to have a clear idea on what the aimed exercise sounds like.

This month I've received quite a few extra books to add to the ones I had as my main material (Manu Maugain's "Accordeon en 3D" series), a couple ordered abroad that took its fair time to get here and then another one I find in my local used book store. The extra books are:
- Manu Maugain - Exercises Techniques - Gammes et Arpèges
- Medard Ferrero - Méthode d'accordéon chromatique 2e année (Jaune)
- Método completo para acordeón - Anzaghi, Luigi Oreste

I actually bough Medard Ferrero's Méthode d'accordéon chromatique 1re année (Bleu) as my first method, but felt it was extremely dry to learn as a self-taught, so I was quick to put it in an drawer and went with the Maugain's series. The Maugain's series I feel has some really nice points of appeal for a self-learner: it has a lot of songs to practice within a huge range of styles and traditions (classic, pupular english, french, manouche, gypsy, etc.). It both introduces technique and music theory gradually. Though the first book (Initiation à L'Accordéon) seems more paced than the second one (Pratique de L'Accordéon), where the formula of 1 ) new technique explained 2) a few exercises 3) 4- 5 songs to practice starts to feel a bit rushed. Each volume in the series is about 60 pages. Last one "Improvisation jazz à l'accordéon" I haven't opened much.

-Manu Maugain - Exercises Techniques - Gammes et Arpèges
The technical exercises by Maugain feel somewhat like Hanon to the accordion in a very compact format. Each execise is well explained as to what it is suppose to train, and then given the CBA patterns are limited, it only does each exercise in C, F and G, also commenting on practicing the same exercises over with alternative fingering. Looks like a fairly nice complement to Maugain's series, as specially the first part (independence / strenght of each finger and scales) are in correspondance with the chapters in the first book.

- Medard Ferrero - Méthode d'accordéon chromatique
With the arrival of the second volume in the series I've been looking the series in more detail. To my surprise it seems really well thought. The pace is much more oriented to practice the exercises and reinforce the technique a ton in proportion to playing the songs ("Récréations" as they are called). The left hand has continously dedicated exercises in both volumes, which is something I miss in Maugain's series. In accordance to this, the left hand parts are more dynamic in the songs too, including more alternation with the chords and some base lines in between. No musical theory is explained, and the rythms are fairly typical, probaly due to it's time of writing (valses, marches, etc). It looks really tempting to add the left hand exercises to my routine. The fingering for the right hand is different than Maugain's, using less pinky.

- Método completo para acordeón - Anzaghi, Luigi Oreste
Got the 1952 edition of the book. I can't say is different from the one selling new today. To my surprise it seems to use the same fingering as Maugain. It feels really comprehensive. With a bit more than 200 pages, it looks packed! A page with the description of the technique to learn, then the technical exercises and then the songs. The repertoire seems dated for sure, but I've found some tangos, paso dobles and other rythms that add some variety, contrasted to Madard Ferrero's books. Seems to lack the emphasis on the left hand found in Ferrero's series though.

I woud love to hear comments about mixing more than one method, does it looks like a nice idea? What has been your experience with any of the methods mentioned?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
I m not a button accordion player but there are always different approaches on learning, even for playing in these different styles. Its good to know others but I suggest you stay with one of them. Its a general idea for every beginner. Mixing styles and making your own style comes much later or you were in a good level in another instrument (If you know music well).

Thanks. I’m not a complete beginner at reading music and I got a solid foundation on music theory from a few years playing the diatonic and chromatic harmonica.
I think I’ll stay for now with the Maugain material adding only the technical exercises . Anzhagi mention his Hanon book as a complement to his method, Maugain doesn’t reference his book, but I think serves the same purpose.
I’ll stay away from messing with another fingering for now. Is nice to have the reference of other books to see how the same topics are presented and explained by different teachers, but I understand that serving too many masters can dilute the focus too 😅

Thanks again .

Hi Nico,

I think the intention behind the Manu Maugain exercise book limiting to C, F and G is that the fingerings will be the same for the whole row eg.: C, Eb, F#, A will all have the same fingering. Similarly in the G and F rows.
I also have all of the books you mentioned and find that having recordings is essential for me.

I know you have your mind made up for now but a good C-system book you may want to look at is the 'Methode Complete D' Accordeon by Lucien & Richard Galliano. I have the French version but they have a released and English version recently also. The Galliano method starts you right off with more creative and in my opinion tasteful bass patterns. Similar to the Anzaghi method it can be used by piano accordionists.

Good luck on your c-system chromatic journey!

Back