• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Wanted Hohner Student VM 48 Bass

Plinky

Reaction score
Hi I think I have a convert from the melodeon ,and she is looking for a Hohner Student VM 48 bass
I thought I would ask on here before hitting the shops or ebay ,no fettling good playable condition and in tune please.
Many thanks UK only as shipping and customs are so expensive nowadays.

May she be interested in an Amati III M? Also 48 bass and allows her to stick with buttons (C system). With regard to "in tune", it went decades without tuning. 2 reeds, the tremolo is comparatively consistent (as is the bass), so it should probably work reasonably in the contexts she may be interested in. We can try to schedule a video conference (Q/A and play, I can work C system reasonably well) and/or I can make up a video.

The seventh chords on this one are complete (C-E-G-B♭ for C7). If she'd rather have 3-note chords without the fifth (which you can always bring in via the respective Major chord button), I think I should be able to do that operation as well.

May she be interested in an Amati III M? Also 48 bass and allows her to stick with buttons (C system). With regard to "in tune", it went decades without tuning. 2 reeds, the tremolo is comparatively consistent (as is the bass), so it should probably work reasonably in the contexts she may be interested in. We can try to schedule a video conference (Q/A and play, I can work C system reasonably well) and/or I can make up a video.

The seventh chords on this one are complete (C-E-G-B♭ for C7). If she'd rather have 3-note chords without the fifth (which you can always bring in via the respective Major chord button), I think I should be able to do that operation as well.
Hi dak thanks but its definitely PA she's a pretty good pianist ,not so hot yet with unlearning the bellows directions yet ,but she runs up and down the keyboard with consummate ease.
It's quite impressive I have to think where I'm running out on 26 keys but she has a much better mental map.

The Bravo is much better for her light flowing fingering but the Student weighs under 10 Lbs so it's closer to her Hohner erica melodeon and she really likes that iconic vintage Hohner sound.

Hi dak thanks but its definitely PA she's a pretty good pianist ,not so hot yet with unlearning the bellows directions yet ,but she runs up and down the keyboard with consummate ease.
It's quite impressive I have to think where I'm running out on 26 keys but she has a much better mental map.

The Bravo is much better for her light flowing fingering but the Student weighs under 10 Lbs so it's closer to her Hohner erica melodeon and she really likes that iconic vintage Hohner sound.
The Amati should not run heavier and it's not really all that much larger than melodeon (should definitely be lighter than my Morino Club N). And the buttons won't seduce her into hitting the keys senselessly with piano verve. And vintage Hohner it certainly is… And the lowest note is a folksy G.
amati-h.jpg

The Amati should not run heavier and it's not really all that much larger than melodeon (should definitely be lighter than my Morino Club N). And the buttons won't seduce her into hitting the keys senselessly with piano verve. And vintage Hohner it certainly is… And the lowest note is a folksy G.
amati-h.jpg
Hi dak thanks but she loves the Student vm and I did show her the picture of the Amati but there doesn't seem a lot of point in learning new fingering,especially when she's so good on the piano.(y)

Plinky:
The seller/repairer/restorer of accordions at Loanhead, Midlothian, among this lot for sale on Gumtree, is trusted and respected by the best players here in Scotland (as well as the rest of the U.K.)

Plinky:
The seller/repairer/restorer of accordions at Loanhead, Midlothian, among this lot for sale on Gumtree, is trusted and respected by the best players here in Scotland (as well as the rest of the U.K.)
Hi boxplayer thanks looks to have some very nice boxes,but I cant seem to find a website for him?

Are you still looking for a Student V?
Hi Neo she's not actually looking because she's still got one of mine:ROFLMAO:
Yes ,still looking she just missed out on one that sold on ebay yesterday ( 48 bass)do you have one for sale?
Actually do you have two for sale as I have another friend looking for one.

Last edited:
Hi Neo she's not actually looking because she's still got one of mine:ROFLMAO:
Yes ,still looking she just missed out on one that sold on ebay yesterday ( 48 bass)do you have one for sale?
Actually do you have two for sale as I have another friend looking for one.
Hi,

I have one I’m considering selling- it’s in really good condition and has been well looked after and serviced + tuned. I have a second one that is actually for sale but it’s not in great condition and would need serviced

I have one I’m considering selling- it’s in really good condition and has been well looked after and serviced + tuned. I have a second one that is actually for sale but it’s not in great condition and would need serviced
Hi Neoscan is that actually selling or considering selling ?,sorry to appear abrupt ,but I have received far too many messages with terms like "i may be tempted to sell" or "I dont really want to sell but could be tempted"
I find it extraordinary ,one chap you would think I was trying to prise his newborn from his arms :LOL:

She has a very good budget for the right box and doesn't want to do any ,or have any work done on it.
I have 4 boxes so its not really an imposition for her to borrow mine ,but I would certainly like her to get one before she gets a little too attached
As she refers to mine as her baby now :oops:
I no longer need a second one my mate bought the La Davina version yesterday(y)

Hi boxplayer thanks looks to have some very nice boxes,but I cant seem to find a website for him?
I doubt if having (or not having) a website is the last word in integrity.
Just lift the phone and speak to a human being. Old fashioned I know but you might find out things in your favour.

I doubt if having (or not having) a website is the last word in integrity.
Just lift the phone and speak to a human being. Old fashioned I know but you might find out things in your favour.
Hi boxplayer I have given her all the information.
Her melodeons are from a well established shop and they have warranty and sale or return policies so I think she's more comfortable buying that way,if I can find one we can go and try I think she'll be fine but Edinburgh is a long way from Norfolk(y)

Hi Neoscan is that actually selling or considering selling ?,sorry to appear abrupt ,but I have received far too many messages with terms like "i may be tempted to sell" or "I dont really want to sell but could be tempted"
I find it extraordinary ,one chap you would think I was trying to prise his newborn from his arms :LOL:

She has a very good budget for the right box and doesn't want to do any ,or have any work done on it.
I have 4 boxes so its not really an imposition for her to borrow mine ,but I would certainly like her to get one before she gets a little too attached
As she refers to mine as her baby now :oops:
I no longer need a second one my mate bought the La Davina version yesterday(y)
Well, I haven't said ‘selling’ as I haven't quite advertised it yet but if someone was wanting one and offered me a good price I would sell it. It's in very good condition and has been serviced and tuned regularly so would not need any work done whatsoever.
It’s certainly not my newborn but it is really nice example of this instrument and so I can understand if someone finds getting rid of a nice instrument difficult ;)
I can provide more details (photos, videos, etc) if needed. PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    967.4 KB · Views: 10
Well, I haven't said ‘selling’ as I haven't quite advertised it yet but if someone was wanting one and offered me a good price I would sell it. It's in very good condition and has been serviced and tuned regularly so would not need any work done whatsoever.
It’s certainly not my newborn but it is really nice example of this instrument and so I can understand if someone finds getting rid of a nice instrument difficult ;)
I can provide more details (photos, videos, etc) if needed. PM me.
Hi Neoscan the red one is not a VM ?shes wants Student VM 48 bass ,the black one is but is than the one thats needs work ?

Hi Neoscan the red one is not a VM ?shes wants Student VM 48 bass ,the black one is but is than the one thats needs work ?
Oh yes, well spotted. Sorry about that. I’ve never actually noticed as I never use the diminished row

Oh yes, well spotted. Sorry about that. I’ve never actually noticed as I never use the diminished ro

The chap I'm getting lessons from now uses the diminished row frequently,but he is primarily a jazz player.
But the Lady I had the zoom call lessons that stipulated a 48 bass as the bare minimum requirement for beginners to learn the stradella system, never used that row and barely used the 7th row.

She also kept saying "but when you move on to a proper accordion" !

I play Hohner one row melodeons ,so using her rationale with only 10 buttons it barely qualifies as an instrument
Perhaps the hierarchy should be, based on how many buttons you actually use.
sorry for the rant:LOL:

Yes, agree 100%. Depending on what style you play large sized instruments are often not necessary. My 120 Hohner Morino IV S sits in its case unused since years- no point carrying around extra notes/weight you don’t need!

Yes, agree 100%. Depending on what style you play large sized instruments are often not necessary. My 120 Hohner Morino IV S sits in its case unused since years- no point carrying around extra notes/weight you don’t need!
Ah, but then for the weight of my big instrument I couldn't carry two small less versatile instruments unless they were very much less versatile. For quite particular performances I can pick out a smaller one. But the big one holds its own very well in a lot of situations it has not been particularly built for. I have the advantage over @JerryPH that I don't have a large collection of instruments all dear to my heart for one reason or other. Somehow I still have too large of a collection anyway.

I happen to have one for sale. I am located in the US though.

Let me know if you are still searching.
I am not sure what value of it is.

Best,

1714439190522.png

Back