• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

who make the Marrazza Accordion???

Jacques H

Reaction score
who make the Marrazza Accordion?or do they still make Marrazza accordion?
from all the reach er on line, I did not find 1 like mine,but I think mine is a Marrazza Accordion that was built to look like a
P. Soprani case number# 383
is Marrazza Accordion still in Operation in Italy
thank you

Attachments

• 20240114_181709.jpg
    20240114_181709.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240114_181717.jpg
    20240114_181717.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240115_122555.jpg
    20240115_122555.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240115_122520.jpg
    20240115_122520.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240115_122746.jpg
    20240115_122746.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 19
Marazza would have been an accordion school/music store in the USA
somewhere. They glued their little nameplate on the inexpensive,
basic Student accordions built in italy like this one that they bought
and re-sold to parents. They most likely were a very small
company as they obviously did not buy accordions in sufficient quantity
to have a true private brand, private label. They probably got this
through a "jobber" distributor musical instrument supplier like Coast Wholesale
or C. Bruno or St. Louis Music

so Marazza never had a factory in Italy or anywhere, and this accordion was made
in the Paolo Soprani factory. it is a very basic 2 reed treble and normally the
student would have outgrown it within a year or so.

if it still sounds nice, play it and have fun.

thank you for your reply
I did sent an emai to Paolo Soprani factory in Italy to see if they still have some history on this Instrument
according to my Brother wife family the Accordion came from an Italian from Italy in the mid 80`s

Marrazza was a music store in Montreal. It sold various instruments but was specialized in accordions. It closed many years ago.
I bought a trumpet mouthpiece and a few other items there 40 years (or so) ago. As I only began to play accordion a month ago, I did not shop for one then!

It was a highly regarded accordion store and repair shop in the Montreal area. I've been told by one of the few accordion stores still operating in the province that Mr. Marrazza imported overstock accordions from various Italian makers and either refurbished or customized them. And then he put his name on the instruments.

Marrazza accordions are still sought after here and if the store was still in business, that's where I would have gone first to get one.

the owner was Lorenzo Marrazza he was selling instrument but never made accordion,he also made some record,some kind of rap music I was told
Marrazza Music was at 6555 Papneau st ,Montreal
thanks for the info
used to have a custom Shop at 4584 Papineau in the 70- 80`

The store I went to was on St-Hubert st. I was not aware of the Papineau st location but it got me curious and I found it on the internet. I don't know if it was later or if both locations existed at the same time.

An interesting item I just found this morning while searching is that scans of the Marrazza accordion method (1949) are available on the BAnQ website (Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec).

Here's the cover page.

Attachments

• Marrazza methode.jpeg
    Marrazza methode.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 7
I download the Marrazza Methodes 1949
it come in 2 volume, there to large to attach ,but would send to your email
the 2 volumes are about learning to play the accordion
nothing about the instrument with is name on it???

Just to add to the story which is no doubt but hopefully accurate, Pat Marrazza did indeed have an accordion school and sales store in Montreal, and that was in the 40's or earlier. How do I know this? In mid- 1940's my teacher in Hamilton Ontario owned a Marrazza model, sold it and purchased one of the new Excelsior Symphony Grands from Pat as I remember him telling me. And Hamilton professional accordionist Jack Slater also owned a hi-end Marrazza. I believe Pat may also have visited Hamilton to discuss sales for the Viola's growing accordion school and business - which incidentally grew to over 325 students! That was in the late 40's- early 50's...

My 1949/50 Symphony Grand was made in New York - not Italy -- - serial # on the back of the keyboard # 9999! Sold it to a friend (Ettore L) who taught in Chatham Ontario, then I purchased an updated model with mute and mikes in '54 which I still have. and I learned years later the first one (9999) ended up in Montreal -- perhaps tragically lost in a fire as reported to me, but one never knows... if it's still here. I'd like to know..

Yes, Pat, as he was known then, purchased from several accordion factories in Italy and placed his name on them. Cannot offer any comment regarding their quality. Likely varied according to quality of parts and their availability. Have a mid-size 2/4 in my collection.
I've already given more details re his son-in-law Jack Wright who took over the Excelsior/Excelsiola/Accordiana line when Pat retired sometime in late 40's or early 50's and opened Excelsior Supply Co. on Albert Street near the old Forum along with Minnie Ceretti as secretary and office manager..
When operating a service centre years later, I had occasion to service some Marrazza accordions and found them of good quality -- provided they were well taken care of... and that's the key to quality of used accordions. E.g., I own a 1934 Excelsior Pietro Deiro model in mint condition along with the original case!! No, I was not there when built in case you wondered, far away distance- but not time-wise!!

Hope this adds a bit more to your inquiry re Marrazza accordions.

Reactions: Tom
the owner was Lorenzo Marrazza he was selling instrument but never made accordion,he also made some record,some kind of rap music I was told
Marrazza Music was at 6555 Papneau st ,Montreal
thanks for the info
used to have a custom Shop at 4584 Papineau in the 70- 80`
It would be extremely interesting if an Italian-Québécois accordion dealer released a rap record in the middle of the 20th century.

Pat and Lorenzo Marrazza are not related
but Today nothing surprises me with the Young Generation trying to find an identity by them self,,,,

Thanks Riccardo for this additional info.
The Marrazza accordion store I went to in the late 70s and early 80s was on St-Hubert street and would match the civic number (7082) printed on the Pat Marrazza 1949 method. I lived at 7134 St-Hubert for 4 years.

It is mentioned in the “Canadian Encyclopedia ” that he established his school in Montreal in the mid 1930s. It’s the accordion article, in the Accordion Teachers patagraph.

Last edited:
Thanks et merci Zvon and Jacques. Sort of makes me feel my memory still operating. And you likely knew that Archambeault and Frank Ravenda had successful accordion businesses in the 40's-50's. I met Frank during my stint with Excelsior in Montreal. Real entrepeneur...

Archambault was a great musical instruments store. It was bought by Quebecor in 2000 who then sold it to Renaud-Bray in 2015. The principal location downtown sadly closed in 2023. There are a few smaller branches still open, but it's not the same!

I shopped for my first accrodion this year and there aren't many choices left in the province to buy one. I was lucky to find an Excelsior Digisyzer in good condition, even if the tone generator is missing, at Nantel music store. But Nantel isn't really into accordions.

I contacted Albini Gallant and may likely buy a smaller one from him.

Hello Zvon. I realize I may have dropped Albini Gallant's name in a previous thread as a reliable and honest teacher and sales businessman. I must add that it was over 10 years ago and things may have changed. I've also learned that he is selling his own brand of accordions which was news to me.
I must declare a conflict of interest in supporting Italian made accordions since all the Italians over my entire life had been helpful, upfront and honest in their dealings in every respect. The teachers helped me win awards, gave opportunities for travel internationally, set me up in businesses, sold me excellent quality instruments - Excelsior products as you may know - and taught me servicing and appreciation of quality instruments.
I add this and suggest, when speaking to Albini, you ask among other questions, where the accordion was made and by whom. And this is not to disparage any other manufacturers of high quality accordions.. there are many.

I am happy to have found this at a charity auction today for $70 CDN (roughly $50 US). I think it's pretty old as it's branded "P. Marazza Inc." and all the Marazza accordions I ever saw, either in the Marazza store in the past or currently for sale on the web, are simply branded "Marazza".
It's not in great shape but not too bad either and very playable, and no funny smell!
Let me know if anyone can tell who is the original manufacturer from the photo.

I also found additional info about Pat Marazza and his son John. John must be the one I met. It's from a genealogical website:
- " My Papa was Guido Salvatore Marrazza (Born 1925 Died 1999) & he married Anna Sillo (born 1924 Died 2001). Both were also born in the same town as your grandfather Antonio of Settefrati, Provincia di Frosinone, in Lazio. They immigrated to Montreal Canada in 1951.

After many years around 1970's we met Johnny (Giovanni) Marrazza who came to Montreal from England. His Papa was Pasquale Marrazza who immigrated to England, married an English lady & immigrated to Montreal I believe in the 1930's. They opened a music school & stores. Both Pat & son Johnny Marrazza played accordions on French Radio & were very popular. They had an accordion model named MARRAZZA. Johnny died about 8 years ago. When he died the Montreal newspaper The Gazette had a full page article about both Johnny & Pat who came to Montreal from England. "

Attachments

• Marazza front2_v2_smaller.jpg
    Marazza front2_v2_smaller.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back