• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Why play music?

lmschgo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I started to play the accordion a few years ago. Regrettably, too late in life to achieve the talent or skill level that many on this forum exhibit. I am fine with that, at least I checked it off my bucket list.

I found the following in a short tribute or commentary about singer/songwriter Kris Kristofferson, who recently died. It aptly applies to my musical endeavors and succinctly answers the question: Why play music?

Don't underestimate the power of music to help us age better. It activates unique regions of the brain, unlike any other modality, and grounds us to our roots. In doing so, it helps us let go of stress, enables healing, and strengthens key neural pathways. Whether playing or simply listening, music is also a powerful form of mindfulness and meditation - getting lost in the music.

Humans go beyond the necessary, thats the difference from animals. Art is one of the important aspect of humans. Thinking in abstracts is the way of innovation and progress which art provides that capability.
If you studied 'animals' a little more closely, or read more recent research, you would find that this statement of yours is somewhat flawed.

I find music a way to communicate emotions and that which can't be said. Playing takes emotion and gives it back in a different way, some music takes you deeper than others.
So very true never a word better said .
I remember many years ago now sitting and chatting with the Legend Dick Contino .....We both have a mutual friend another terrific accordion Cabaret entertainer..
Dick remarked to me that whilst several of the Artists had fabulous technique and keyboard skills they play so many notes so fast its like a machine gun being fired . They played without any love or Emotion .
When Dick did his Cabaret spot .....................it was a different story he showed from the first note he played to the very last number the way to make contact with the Audience and play with Excitement , Emotion and Love through the music he played...He certainly knew how to touch that special Emotional spot and convey it to the audience hence the many... standing Ovations and Applause during his performance
Just my humble observation of a true Artist at work .

So very true never a word better said .
I remember many years ago now sitting and chatting with the Legend Dick Contino .....We both have a mutual friend another terrific accordion Cabaret entertainer..
Dick remarked to me that whilst several of the Artists had fabulous technique and keyboard skills they play so many notes so fast its like a machine gun being fired . They played without any love or Emotion .
When Dick did his Cabaret spot .....................it was a different story he showed from the first note he played to the very last number the way to make contact with the Audience and play with Excitement , Emotion and Love through the music he played...He certainly knew how to touch that special Emotional spot and convey it to the audience hence the many... standing Ovations and Applause during his performance
Just my humble observation of a true Artist at work .
Yup, one of the two accordionists I most enjoyed seeing in concert. Saw him at the meet and greet but never got the chance to talk to or really get to know him. Unfortunately.

Yup, one of the two accordionists I most enjoyed seeing in concert. Saw him at the meet and greet but never got the chance to talk to or really get to know him. Unfortunately.
I had the opportunity to see Dick Contino at Festa Italiana in Milwaukee several years ago. Quite the entertainer - not just an accordionist. He made a great connection with the audience with his music and personality.

I play music because I like it, and it feels so good knowing you are the one making the music.

It also has helped me to get closer to people. Opened doors that I would never have been able to cross without it.

I even met my girlfriend this way. Music is just a wonderful way to connect with others, it's amazing, and playing it on the accordion makes it even better because that means you can bring music everywhere you go.

I play music because I like it, and it feels so good knowing you are the one making the music.

It also has helped me to get closer to people. Opened doors that I would never have been able to cross without it.

I even met my girlfriend this way. Music is just a wonderful way to connect with others, it's amazing, and playing it on the accordion makes it even better because that means you can bring music everywhere you go.
Thats very interesting ! I met my Late wife at a Dance because I had a cancelled gig that evening and we had 14 very happy years together .

I had the opportunity to see Dick Contino at Festa Italiana in Milwaukee several years ago. Quite the entertainer - not just an accordionist. He made a great connection with the audience with his music and personality.
I was there. I think I saw you.

Back