• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Yamaha Accordion

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never knew Yamaha made accordions! I came across this on eBay but thought someone had stuck a Yamaha sticker on some old Chinese accordion. However I searched for the model number and turned up a few pictures of the same accordion on other websites.
Japanese market only maybe?

1724612772804.png
It looks like they make/made a few. Above is a 48 bass one, and I've also seen 21 bass versions and some without bass buttons (described as "Alto" & "Soprano")
1724612872721.png

Never new Yamaha made accordions! I came across this on eBay but thought someone had stuck a Yamaha sticker on some old Chinese accordion. However I searched for the model number and turned up a few pictures of the same accordion on other websites.
Japanese market only maybe?
Yamaha makes/sells many types of instruments. They are famous for their acoustic and digital pianos (I have a Yamaha CP5 digital piano) but they make a lot more than that. How good everything is, I don't know.

Well, I had certainly underestimated Yamaha's history:

"Yamaha's history began when its founder, Torakusu Yamaha, repaired a broken reed organ in 1887. Shortly thereafter, he successfully completed the first reed organ."

More to be found here:

I see they needed a challenge in 1955, so they branched out into building motorcycles.

(By the way, I have an excellent Classical Guitar - built by Yamaha in 1972.)

Why do we know so little about the rest of the world?

A few weeks ago, I was wondering if Yamaha ever made accordions. I would love to find one that I can try.

I've been a fan of Yamaha instruments for a few decades and had a digital piano and a few synthesizers over the years. I still have a synth, a beginner acoustic guitar and two pianicas (melodicas) from Yamaha.

Just found this very interesting info on their website:
"Yamaha began manufacturing accordions in 1933, a time when the instruments were popular, with a lineup that included regular-sized and miniature accordions.
The reeds were made on the same precision machine used to make organs, and the coating was the same as that for Yamaha pianos.
Although Yamaha made both button and piano accordions, piano accordions became the mainstay in later years."

Yamaha instruments usually have the little logo with 3 tuning forks, but pianos only have the letters in a recognizable font. The logo on the white and green accordions looks suspect... Never knew Yamaha made accordions.

All I know is that I saw a Yamaha accordion for sale on craigslist, maybe 15 years ago, in Cheyenne. It looked like a nice enough accordion, 48 bass, basic black. I didn’t need it at the time. I remembered it, because at the time I didn’t know that Yamaha made accordions either.

Back