• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

3 Countries in 2 weeks!

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, it's finally arrived... in a few hours I get on a plane to fly to Europe. 14 days and 3 countries, many days accordion or music related, but some time with family too. It's going to be amazing!

Land in Frankfurt, drive to Trossingen, pick up my 4 certificates and accept the offer of a PRIVATE VIP tour of the Hohner factory (just found out about it this morning... lol)

Next stop, Salzburg then Vienna with very specific goals there, from there off to Prague. Day before our departure we drive back to Frankfurt, grab a hotel, then have a few hours to catch our breath in time to fly back home. The very next day (no time to lose the jet lag... lol), I am back at work and placing nose firmly to grindstone again.

I'm already looking at a purely touristic vacation early 2025... wonder if I can find anything accordion-related in Hawaii! :D :D

Pics and stories to come after I get back. :)

Have a good trip and get some R&R. Look forward to the pics.

Wow, it's finally arrived... in a few hours I get on a plane to fly to Europe. 14 days and 3 countries, many days accordion or music related, but some time with family too. It's going to be amazing!

Land in Frankfurt, drive to Trossingen, pick up my 4 certificates and accept the offer of a PRIVATE VIP tour of the Hohner factory (just found out about it this morning... lol)

Next stop, Salzburg then Vienna with very specific goals there, from there off to Prague. Day before our departure we drive back to Frankfurt, grab a hotel, then have a few hours to catch our breath in time to fly back home. The very next day (no time to lose the jet lag... lol), I am back at work and placing nose firmly to grindstone again.

I'm already looking at a purely touristic vacation early 2025... wonder if I can find anything accordion-related in Hawaii! :D :D

Jerry, have you been to Castelfidardo, Italy. My wish is to go there someday soon

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip!

If you get a chance while in Vienna, you might want to pop into Doblinger on Dortheergasse (down the block from Buffet Trzesniewski... yum!) if it's not already on your itinerary. I found some fun accordion sheet music to take home as a souvenir last time I was there.

Sounds like an amazing trip! I'm considering a trip over to Prague to visit the Delicia factor and maybe pick up an instrument so I would be interested to hear how that goes and what your thoughts are on their modern offerings.

OK, so I made it back... SO MUCH GOOD and a few not so nice things happened. I am totally beat and going to take a couple days to soak it all in. I just wanted to post here that I am back and safe but head spinning with all that happened.

I'll post an update in a day or so. :)

I'm sitting here thinking... where to start, what to write about what happened over the last 2 weeks. Obviously there is too much here to say in a single post about a 2 week vacation that covered 2300 kilometers unless I spend the next 6 hours typing away, so I will try to chunk things down a little. I think that what I would like to start off with is my experiences at Hohner in Trossingen.

First and foremost, the people there are amazing. Welcoming, kind and very open. My time that I spent with the master Gola builder/assembler Sigmund was very eye opening. While they get to build an accordion with one of the greatest names in accordion history, the main feeling was that of being humble and straight. My time with Ralf limited but sincere. My German was a bit more limited, but along with my mother's help (her German is better than mine, I am at the conversational level, not really able to talk accordion shop... lol), we got along just fine. My time with Petra, the wonderful lady who gave me the private VIP tour was great.

Grab a seat guys-n-gals, here is where the eye-opening stuff comes.

1. Hohner is no longer the accordion manufacturing beast it was in the 1950-s to 2000's.
2. In Trossingen at the Hohner factory, they focus on harmonicas, the one that pays the cheques for everyone there, they are *still* the predominant maker of mouth harmonicas in the world... and no matter how many accordions they offer... only 3 models are made in Trossingen, 2 models are made in Castelfidardo and the rest are made in China.
Which accordions are made in Trossingen?
The Hohner XS, the Hohner Corona and of course the Gola.

Which models are made in Italy?
The NOVA and MORINO lines... all of them. No mention of what company makes them for Hohner.

Which models are made in China?
All the rest of the accordions that they offer.

Some tidbits that were shared
NO OTHER MODELS of the Gola are made other than the 414 model. No converters, no Free Bass. I was not told if this was temporary or permanent. The feeling was that it was permanent, but that was just the feeling.

Customization of the Golas used to be unlimited to whatever you as the buyer could dream up, colours, options, midi, micing, registration order, number of keys... ANYTHING... that is no longer available.

You can get anything you want... as long as what you order is the base Gola 414. They *may* consider tuning requests, special tremolo requests, but you need to be 100% sure (as in either speak to him in person or over the phone and be VERY CLEAR about what you want), and there are no "take-backs". It still is complete payment up front and you wait anywhere from 18-24 months for your Gola.

Parts for Golas are scarce... so scarce that they resort to 3-D printing some internal parts so that they could move forward. There are just two people that do the final tune on Golas, Sigmund and (heaven forgive me, I forgot his name), another gent that is now retired, but still goes to the home of Manfred Leuchter to tune his Gola for him personally. They have a super nice lady (that I was introduced to and watched for a few minutes), that currently does all tuning for the Coronas, she is an apprentice (even after 3 years of doing nothing but tuning), I foresee her being the next Gola tuner once the current people are no longer available.

In the shop where the Gola is made, they had some amazing designs on the wall, including a Gola Bayan that was something that the world has never seen... it truly could take top of the heap in the accordion world, if they ever decided to offer it... which it is not available. While I was there, I was seeing two Gola 414's being worked on.

All orders for all NOVA and Morino lines are on hold, no one has been making any NOVAs or MORINOs for the last year or so and at this time there are no orders. Again, whether that is temporary or permanent was not clarified. I was given the impression that demand was very low.

There were 3 kinds of reeds made for the Gola during it's entire history:
- The ones that Giovanni Gola hand picked himself. These were easy to identify, they had NO markings on them.
- The later ones were Bugari reeds, these had "Bugari" stamped on them.
- The ones that they use now from Voci Armoniche

They are all good, but the special trait of the Gola was to get the notes to all start and stop AT THE SAME TIME with the same amount of air was the final test. According to Sigmund, the unmarked ones were fairly easy to do with... the Bugari reeds took more work and the Voci Armoniche are a constant battle to get right.

A little digging came up with a little gem of information from Hohner for me... first, my Gola is not a 1980 model, it is a 1979 model. The reeds in my accordion were from the very last batch that Giovanni Gola personally hand picked. They did not want to put it in writing for me on my Hohner Certificate, but did assure me that this was fact. They offered this info WITHOUT my asking. So my accordion uses neither Bugari or Voci Armoniche reeds... the rest is not so important but its nice to know that Giovanni's hands held the reeds in my accordion.

Concerning the source of the "legendary best Gola reeds", I asked if they were reeds from Dallapé, since it was documented that his mother worked there and he himself was picked up from Dallapé to come to Hohner... there was a small smile and then a statement something along the lines of "well, that's now long in the past and we never saved that information". Take from it what you will. :)

I did receive the 4 certificates for my 4 Hohner accordions and it has some nice info on it, but of course none has all the info that I would wish was on it... though a lot of it is interesting, but that's perhaps best left for my next post.

So... a lot of "wow" moments and a few disappointments.

I wish I could say that Hohner is still the power house manufacturer that they were in the 40's to 80's, though sadly they are not... but Hohner has a rich and extremely important place in accordion history... even if today they are a shadow of their former selves.

I'll post some pictures later.

Last edited:
Thank you Jerry for your insightful trip-report (assume it's kinda part I and there's more to come 🤭).
One could easy guess that Hohner is no longer a big tier - sad to hear it almost became a niche-player.

nice report

years ago when i still could get them wholesale, i gifted
a full set of Blues style Hohner 'monicas to my nephew.. then
he joined the Army and was sent over to the Mid-East, and i
got basically the same set, but the version made in China for Hohner
for literally pennies on the dollar to take over with him.

the Clavicord was also made in Trossingen.. they still have the
Drum factory running in Germany too (SONOR) but does
Hohner still own that brand i wonder ?

the Clavicord was also made in Trossingen.. they still have the
Drum factory running in Germany too (SONOR) but does
Hohner still own that brand i wonder ?
I do not know, I saw a clavichord in the Hohner museum, none on the floor at the factory. I would guess that for the same reasons, that the production for that was also moved to China as well.

A once-in-a-lifetime journey and such a rich write-up. Baffled by a little of what they communicated:

-----The Hohner Nova is a CBA line made in China. Like the Bravo PAs. Novas are listed as made in China by all dealers stocking them. Could they have meant the Hohner Fun series? Those are pricey, high-end accordions made in Europe, aimed at young tyros and featuring kicky pop colors (aside from the MM 80-bass Hohner Fun "Nova," which is made in Asia).

-----Some Coronas are made in Asia. Rumor among the Tex-Mex/Norteno players was they brought one model back to Europe, but I can't remember its distinguishing moniker.

-----Somebody in Italy is still making Hohner Anacleto models. Aimed at the Tex-Mex/Norteno market in the US and Mexico. Bisonoric/diatonic lust objects with a mano reeds and lots of decorations for the Tex-Mex /Norteno pros, and the "Anacleto Latino" PA models. Super-expensive, some might say wildly overpriced. Rumor had it they were produced by the Gabbanelli brother in Castelfi who was NOT the Gabanelli brother involved with the Gabbanelli concern in Texas, not sure if that still holds. But they are still issuing and they cost an arm and a leg. I guess China could be outputting stuff that high-end, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
Here is a Hohner Fun listed as in stock at a French store--priced at nearly 16,000 euros and noted as made in Italy. There are several others listed with that store as well, but not in stock. Who knows . . . perhaps it is remaining stock and they won't be putting out any more of these under the Hohner name, but something seems off in what they communicated. I played one of these "Fun" CBAs in a Paris store in 2018 and it was wonderful. Around 8,000 euro, but that was before the inflation really went wild.

[

Good info to get, Jerry, and it sounds like you had an awesome trip!
It was incredible... even though a lot of it was drowned out due to the massively bad weather that central Europe was having at the time I was there (TONS and TONS of rain, 50kph winds, bridges being pulled apart, houses carried away and so many people injured and hurt). I basically had to cut the Vienna part in half to escape the worst of it (driving many miles around road blockages due to highways being washed out). I'll have to return to Vienna another day, but it is definitely not the same Vienna that I experienced a couple decades ago. Traffic tripled, parking anywhere within 15km of the town centre was impossible and the entire city basically looks like it doubled in population. For example, Grinzing used to be a sleepy small town outside with massive charm and today it is all within Vienna proper, with all it's issues. Waiting times to get in to a church of 1+ hours... just wow.

But let's not go any further in to the bad side. :)

I recently got a very nice 1963 Gola 414
The '63 is a lovely vintage. I used to have one - very responsive reeds... might have been stainless steel. What I liked the most was the 6 voice bass mechanism. The tone of the bass was silky smooth too. Yet the lowest bass was not particularly deep in pitch - the low was C2 - so sweet and so responsive. By comparison, I've seen vintage Petosa AM1100s from the early 1980s (Guidobaldi reeds?) with a low bass of A1, which is nice and deep - but the response was really, really sluggish - no good. Goes to show, Gola's early instruments were really quite special. That said, they weren't all carbon copies... over the years he selected different reeds for different instruments. I've also even seen some 414s with 5 voice bass instead of 6 voice bass. Sad to say the current Gola hardly even resembles a Gola - it looks only half-baked... it was a terrible decision to change the grille decoration by removing the elegant, gold-plated metal lengths. I hope they rethink that, and give the Gola back it's 6 voice bass... if they can...​

-----The Hohner Nova is a CBA line made in China. Like the Bravo PAs. Novas are listed as made in China by all dealers stocking them. Could they have meant the Hohner Fun series?
Quite possibly. I am only repeating what I was told.
-----Some Coronas are made in Asia. Rumor among the Tex-Mex/Norteno players was they brought one model back to Europe, but I can't remember its distinguishing moniker.
The only models I saw there that were being tuned and placed on a rack were the Corona II, I was shown briefly where they were. My head was all about the Gola, as you might understand.

-----Somebody in Italy is still making Hohner Anacleto models. Aimed at the Tex-Mex/Norteno market in the US and Mexico. Bisonoric/diatonic lust objects with a mano reeds and lots of decorations for the Tex-Mex /Norteno pros, and the "Anacleto Latino" PA models. Super-expensive, some might say wildly overpriced. Rumor had it they were produced by the Gabbanelli brother in Castelfi who was NOT the Gabanelli brother involved with the Gabbanelli concern in Texas, not sure if that still holds. But they are still issuing and they cost an arm and a leg. I guess China could be outputting stuff that high-end, but I'm skeptical.
Unknown, it may well be... that model was not mentioned in my discussions, again, just repeating what I was told. :)

Back