• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion beauty contest thread

I suspect that this is a 3 row CBA with some dummy PA keys attached to make it pass for a PA to the casual observer at a distance, otherwise known as a "finto piano accordion "🙂
There's a number of references to these online. Here's one:
And see here:
I doubt it. 61 notes is excessive for that kind of accordion and would call for a larger height in order to squeeze in all the requisite reed plates. In contrast, 41 keys is a standard number of notes. So I lean towards the 6+6 style layout on the buttons as it perfectly matches the amount of purported piano notes.

Here is some weirdness: the slant of the lines joining corresponding buttons in first and third row _differs_ from left to right. However, if you continue those lines to the corresponding piano keys (in my 6+6 theory), they tend to connect to the correct key since the piano keyboard is slightly more spread out than the buttons, having a slightly larger span for one octave.

Here's Alf Hågedal playing one:

But here the faux white piano keys line up with the first three button rows in order to provide a fourth button row. That's not the case with the instrument we are discussing.

Here's Alf Hågedal playing one:

Very similar to Leon Sash's finto piano accordion.

Not sure if the Petosa accordion that I posted is a finto piano style or Jankó-style as @dak mentioned.
I just posted it because of its beauty, even if there is some shenanigans going on in the keyboard 😁

So far it seems almost all accordions posted here because of their beauty are pre-WW2, in the style that Marion Jacobson called "European-Italian-baroque-Greco-Roman visual", with lots of ornaments, expensive and sometimes made especially for artists. Excerpt (from her book Squeeze This):

accordion.jpg

But here the faux white piano keys line up with the first three button rows in order to provide a fourth button row. That's not the case with the instrument we are discussing.

You are way out of your field of knowledge on this topic, dak, so stop digging yourself deeper into the hole.

Nominating this this saratovskaya garmonika. The designs were hand painted by its previous owner, a beautiful job.IMG_7414.jpg

Back