• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion for klezmer

it is interesting that an LMM accordion has 7 shifts, and each M has a solo tab,
and one would think in this day and age there is an actual reason for this,..
so i am curious if the Spanish preference in tuning and layout has some
bearing on this, or if it is one M in chamber and one out, with both tuned
near unison, so that there would be a flavor difference from each in solo
7 switches is a "universal" machine for three sets of reeds: you get all possible combinations of reeds (except no reeds :0). It might be that it's cheaper to use this setup than a specialized one with fewer shifts.

(In my monster accordion I have an M reed in chamber and one out-of-chamber (dry-tuned). The thing has 15 shifts, which in this case it makes total sense as the M reeds sound different.)

7 switches is a "universal" machine for three sets of reeds: you get all possible combinations of reeds (except no reeds :0). It might be that it's cheaper to use this setup than a specialized one with fewer shifts.

(In my monster accordion I have an M reed in chamber and one out-of-chamber (dry-tuned). The thing has 15 shifts, which in this case it makes total sense as the M reeds sound different.)
the Italian standard for a long long time was
7 shifts for LMH
5 shifts for LMM

the extended shift setups can be for convenience according to some,
but generally there needs to be a legit tuning or chamber difference to
justify the extra hardware, else it is just gilding the Lily and adding weight

i hope you get to hands on inspect it soon

Back