• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Are professional Excelsior models undervalued?

I ordered a custom Midivox Excelsior a number of years ago. After a month or so of playing it, I began to hate it. Great sound but keys were very stiff on both sides and it seemed to use more air than it should. Sold it at a loss and went back to my Sonola SS-15.

Hi, I'm new here, though not a new accordion player :)

When I look around at the top of the line accordion models (talking about PAs), I have noticed that the Excelsior ones (such as Symphony, Symphony Grand, AC Continental) all seem to sell less than the top of the line models of other brands in the similar era. Is that generally true or am I just making that up?

If it's true, why is that? (First of all.. is that because I'm in the USA?) In my understanding, these Excelsior accordions are considered the very best of all time, right?

When I look around at the top of the line accordion models (talking about PAs), I have noticed that the Excelsior ones (such as Symphony, Symphony Grand, AC Continental) all seem to sell less than the top of the line models of other brands in the similar era. Is that generally true or am I just making that up?

If it's true, why is that? (First of all.. is that because I'm in the USA?) In my understanding, these Excelsior accordions are considered the very best of all time, right?

Hi, I own what I consider several high level accordions including 2 Excelsiors that I love to play. I have an extended keyboard Art Van Damme Gold, and a 940 that I had pearl keys from G verde installed replacing the originals, resulting in a smoother and faster keyboard.
I know everyone has a different opinion, but I still believe Excelsior makes fine accordions. I hope you'll enjoy yours.

Attachments

• Photo Editor20240822_192233.jpg
    Photo Editor20240822_192233.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 10
As a point of reference, earlier in this post I stated I pick up my FR-8X 95% of the time. Since that posting, I worked with some extremely helpful forum members and was able to repair my non-functioning Sennheiser microphone system on my Excelsior 960. Connecting to the amp meant I didn't have to pull quite as hard.

I started playing my 960 again. 20 minutes the first day, 30 minutes the next, etc. Now I'm playing an hour at a time and I'm playing the 960 probably 80% of the time over my FR-8X. It's just so much more expressive. And the keyboard - it is lightning fast and runs are so much easier than on the FR-8X.

So, I've flipped. But I've always loved the sound of my Excelsior. Eventually I'll leave my rare 930 from the 80's in a local shop for 6 months and have it completely restored.

As a point of reference, earlier in this post I stated I pick up my FR-8X 95% of the time. Since that posting, I worked with some extremely helpful forum members and was able to repair my non-functioning Sennheiser microphone system on my Excelsior 960. Connecting to the amp meant I didn't have to pull quite as hard.

I started playing my 960 again. 20 minutes the first day, 30 minutes the next, etc. Now I'm playing an hour at a time and I'm playing the 960 probably 80% of the time over my FR-8X. It's just so much more expressive. And the keyboard - it is lightning fast and runs are so much easier than on the FR-8X.

So, I've flipped. But I've always loved the sound of my Excelsior. Eventually I'll leave my rare 930 from the 80's in a local shop for 6 months and have it completely restored.
Ahr.. very interesting

Back