• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Cajon playing

Mike t.

Reaction score
Heard an accordion player using a stomp box (Wazinator) to add a very cool sounding thump on the first third beats (4/4) time. It was a song like the Wellerman or Hugh McKenna’s fiddle type tunes. Any one here ever use a Cajon while playing? I tried kicking a box, the case, a cat, and floor for that special effect but a real box with a foot pedal seams like it would have the most potential? Just wondering…

Technically, a cajon is played with the hands, so this is a bit different. I remember the last time the Scottish group “The Old Blind Dogs” came through Denver, the fiddle player had a reversed bass drum pedal he could play with his heel while playing fiddle.

And let’s not forget that the classic “one man band” set up usually includes a drum and a small accordion..,

We went the whole hog and lug around a 22" bass drum. We saw a British band "Texas Tick Fever" back in April and their banjo player plays a bass drum positioned behind him with his heel. We copied but my partner prefers to play it the conventional way around. It adds a huge amount of energy to our music.

Attachments

• kick - 1.jpeg
    kick - 1.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 19
  • kick - 1 (1).jpeg
    kick - 1 (1).jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 19
Back