• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

First time playing to a large group out side

BY ROSIE: Ah, I'm a little different. I've played gigs with 250-500 people and didn't feel particularly nervous, beyond just wanting to play well. But my last gig was at our local pub - it was a hot night and we played outside on the veranda rather than on the stage. There were only maybe 20 customers and they were sat around us, close enough to chat with us between songs and I found it quite uncomfortable - I wasn't able to block them out as an amorphous block

BY RTW: I believe the above comment is worth repeating. Yes, playing to a smaller intimate setting feels more uncomfortable vs larger less intimate venue. Its been said by others including Bob Dylan

Regards,
RTW

Could you translate into "English" English for us on this side of the pond please? :unsure:
U.S. streets tend to be so narrow that camping vans need to be folded up transformer-style to be able to travel them. In order to not look puny on the area that you pay for on a camping place, you need to unfold your camping van. The unfolded parts (of which there can be several) are called tip-outs.

The joke under discussion thus is kind of a pecker-size joke, with accordion bass buttons being the equivalent of a cold shower on mobile homes.

A ‘tip-out” on a larger motor home is a room extension that is motorized and slides in when travelling and slides out, increasing the size of a room when stationary:

Imagine, if you will some accordionist hitting a register and someone’s room shrinking to 50% of its size. The joke being that it’s somehow possible that an accordion register is some kind of remote control… lol

Last edited:
thats funny in a way..

back in the days when local bands gigged a lot, steady gigs
multiple nights, the "4th set" of the evening was typically
used to try/learn new songs.. the latest HIT parade stuff.. the newest
San Remo or Eurovision winner.. whatever would have caught
the collective ear of "typical" working pro's

one member of the band obviously would have worked on it
a bit before they said "hey lets try this one" but typically no-one
in audience could ever tell it was a first run through.. a chart may
have been prepared and tossed on the music stand, or it might
all be "by ear" for obvious and simple POP stuff, but back then
no-one had time to practice or gather for rehearsal as we all
had day jobs plus 6 or 8 gigs a week..

and what about requests ? will you guys only play a requested song
if you actually know it ? but wait, the awesomness of an ACCORDION
is that it is a full band in and of itself, and a good BOX man kinda should
be able to fake their way through any song/melody they can hear inside
their head (and make that customer happy)

so i say go for it.. play anything that pops into your heart as the
next best idea during your gig.. if YOU are having fun THEY certainly will

often, our song choices are because we too are "fans" of the music,
and we are lucky to be able to share our love for and enthusiasm for
a particular song or artist with our fingers, our squeeze, and our
interpretation..
Graeme,
The experience you have is exactly the experience you need.

Ventura's last two paragraphs are vital in situations where I've played. Knowing what you love playing -that others know well- can create immediate rapport. I recently coordinated a ragtag group of unrehearsed, versatile musicians at our county fair. It was hot, hazy, humid, and noisy with audience members from 3 to 83 years old. We started with It's a Small World and moved through several tunes kids, parents and grandparents all knew. It was delightful to see a few seniors coaching young parents and their kidlets in the Chicken Dance. Quoting unsung lyrics, inviting folks to sing "even if you don't know the words so the music sounds better" led to giggles and la-lahs for over an hour.

Rock on!

Thanks all for the advice of was all useful.

Got my back to a large static van.

The audience were under gazebos which helped.

F Sharp key stuck in on the first song, had to tap it inbetween notes. Never done it before or since ??

Started with a microphone which broke, so I ended up having to over emphasise the base to keep the two halves of the audiences from drifting out of time.

Kept to simple songs I could play easy, with my very limited experience.

The chair I sat in had arms and we cramped so I ended up playing in an awkward position. Lesson learnt take my stool in future.

Main thing they all had great night my nerves subsided as they reacted to the accordion, I was just the bloke at the back operating the machinary.

Thank again guys for the support
You were all that with me in thought.

Attachments

The chair I sat in had arms and we cramped so I ended up playing in an awkward position. Lesson learnt take my stool in future.
In my opinion, an adjustable-height stool is best for accordion 🙂.
My own choice:
1724927582276.png

Last edited:
F Sharp key stuck in on the first song, had to tap it inbetween notes. Never done it before or since ??

Started with a microphone which broke, so I ended up having to over emphasize the base to keep the two halves of the audiences from drifting out of time.

The chair I sat in had arms and we cramped so I ended up playing in an awkward position. Lesson learnt take my stool in future

I’ve heard it said that adversity builds character - you must have a lot of character!
For the stuck key, could it have been the environment, for example, the change in humidity when moving outdoors?

Do you have a photo to share?

Looking good!

Back