• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Careful setting your accordion down….

Well, it is a bit audacious to claim what is "original" in an instrument specially built for a single person. Here are photographs of the same person with his final instrument, and on the bottom you can see that he has the same kind of strap mounts on the top of his last instrument as there are on the one I have in my possession. It doesn't look on the lower photograph like he'd be playing rather than lecturing and I see no actual straps.

Also, that instrument seems to have a regular air button opposed to mine.
I referred to the N series as having bellow straps. Your photo now is of the D series, That has the internal bellows locking mechanism.
I don't believe it came originally with these two screws and rings, but I have not actually worked on one of these. I have worked on the Morino M series (piano accordion of similar age) and these at least do not come with the screws and rings. In any case, these screws appear to not serve any purpose other than preventing the celluloid from touching a hard floor.
As for the term "original", I would interpret that as how the instruments were delivered in their "standard" configuration. If something is specially built or altered for a single person it is not "original" as in how the whole series is produced. The standard on these accordions for the shoulder straps is the "curtain rod" top and bottom. So the additional straps are not "original".

I referred to the N series as having bellow straps. Your photo now is of the D series, That has the internal bellows locking mechanism.
I don't believe it came originally with these two screws and rings, but I have not actually worked on one of these. I have worked on the Morino M series (piano accordion of similar age) and these at least do not come with the screws and rings.
I agree, but it seems like a reasonable idea.
In any case, these screws appear to not serve any purpose other than preventing the celluloid from touching a hard floor.
As for the term "original", I would interpret that as how the instruments were delivered in their "standard" configuration. If something is specially built or altered for a single person it is not "original" as in how the whole series is produced.
It's not a series instrument, and there is no "Artiste" logo on it. Obviously some of the looks and some of the internals are taken from what was used to build the Artiste series at that time, but there is a lot of elements you would not have been able to order without a serious amount of inside connections. I don't think this instrument actually has been ordered rather than commissioned internally.

Last edited:
Put a stick through the gap between the butt end and the bass strap to stabilize it on a flat surface. You could get a wedge which weighs almost nothing and throw it in the case.

Put a stick through the gap between the butt end and the bass strap to stabilize it on a flat surface. You could get a wedge which weighs almost nothing and throw it in the case.
The bass strap can be a stabilization problem when the accordion is placed on its feet. Old accordions like the one Dak showed tended to come with a plain leather strap which wasn't thick. When people replace that with a padded strap the accordion may become wobbly. I have replaced the feet or added a rubber buffer in such cases to make the accordion stable again.

The bass strap can be a stabilization problem when the accordion is placed on its feet. Old accordions like the one Dak showed tended to come with a plain leather strap which wasn't thick.
I fully second that.
I have by far less experience than Paul - at least I have seen this on a Hohner Atlantic as well as the Gola.
I deliberately ordered an unpadded bass strap as a replacement for my instrument to keep it in "original state" (tough a padded version my feel a bit more comfortable).
So be careful when you're going to order a replacement bass-strap.
If you decide for a padded version consider to replace the feet as well avoiding the instrument is "standing" very wobbly on the bass-strap.

I fully second that.
I have by far less experience than Paul - at least I have seen this on a Hohner Atlantic as well as the Gola.
I deliberately ordered an unpadded bass strap as a replacement for my instrument to keep it in "original state" (tough a padded version my feel a bit more comfortable).
So be careful when you're going to order a replacement bass-strap.
If you decide for a padded version consider to replace the feet as well avoiding the instrument is "standing" very wobbly on the bass-strap.
Frankly, I don't get the idea behind bass strap padding. I want control on my bass hand, and a leather strap gives me that. If it's for wicking sweat, there are gloves that seem like a better idea.

Frankly, I don't get the idea behind bass strap padding. I want control on my bass hand, and a leather strap gives me that. If it's for wicking sweat, there are gloves that seem like a better idea.
On second thought, it's probably a lot cheaper to produce than an actual good leather strap, probably beats the stickiness of a plastic "leather" strap and provides an easy upsell. The one thing that is a problem with my leather strap is that it gets longer over the years and you need to reattach it at some point of time when the tightening screw cannot make up for that any more.

Back