• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Chromatic / electronic curiosity

Hey guys, Google Search could not answer this for me πŸ˜‚

- Is it possible to program a V-Accordion such that a broken chord (arpeggio) is produced, instead of a full chord, when pressing a chord button?
I don't believe so. That seems more the function of an arranger. :)

There does not seem to be a reference manual available, if any programming is possible I would not expect to find it in the basic user manual which I’ve read prior to googling or posting here. But pointing out the obvious is always appreciated πŸ˜€

in the early days of Synths, arpeggiators were often built in
and enjoyed a mild popularity, but they are rather a thing of
the past now. you might find some of the legacy virtual keyboards
a few of the old line companies now offer as software have an
iimplementation that includes one.

there seems to be several VST arpeggiator's out there

one of my Korgs had it.. can't remember which one

apparently several current synths have them, the Jupiter-x on
the high end and a Novation on the low end.. a quick search
seems to show it always being featured in the sales brocure
if a device has it

so no, V-Accordions do not have arpeggiators

in the early days of Synths, arpeggiators were often built in
and enjoyed a mild popularity, but they are rather a thing of
the past now. you might find some of the legacy virtual keyboards
a few of the old line companies now offer as software have an
iimplementation that includes one.

there seems to be several VST arpeggiator's out there

one of my Korgs had it.. can't remember which one

apparently several current synths have them, the Jupiter-x on
the high end and a Novation on the low end.. a quick search
seems to show it always being featured in the sales brocure
if a device has it

so no, V-Accordions do not have arpeggiators
Once I buy a v-accordion I’ll be sure to MIDI into my Roland Juno which has it πŸ˜„

The instrument possibly could do it, on my FR-18 there is a bagpipe sound on the treble side that "starts" with the drone then gives the note, but I don't think there is any way to program sound banks to progressively play 3 notes in a arpeggiated chord.

Next option: use the free bass feature!

The LH Stradella side is similar size to most PA's. The right hand buttons are as large (size and spacing) as any of my acoustic boxes. The FR1xb was my entrΓ©e into the world of chromatic a couple years back. While it was great for learning the layout and fingering without annoying others, the bellows action and response is utterly unlike an acoustic, so you'll likely want something else sooner than later.
Or you may not want to switch to an acoustic model once you own th Fr1x. I purchased my FR8X 8 years ago and once I became comfortable with the action and the instrument's quirks have no desire to switch back to acoustic. However you may want to purchase the Richard Noel or similar styles as these really bring your instrument to life.

Could a FR1X owner please let me know where the accordion is made? It says "Made in Italy" for FR4/8X but no such info for 1x on Roland's website. Thank you in advance. Getting ready to order one and putting together pros and cons :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, we know that everything inside is pretty much Japanese, but Roland themselves says of all V-accordions:

"V-Accordions are manufactured in Italy by Roland Europe, in Acquaviva Picena in the Marche region. This factory is part of the Roland Corporation group, whose headquarters are located in Japan."

That comes from THIS link.

So whether the parts are assembled in Italy or assembled by Asian or Italian employees in Italy or some combination thereof, it all is what it is. :)

That comes from THIS link.
Is this out-of-date information? There were discussions in online music forums back in 2013/2014 that Roland Europe S.p.A. in Acquaviva Picena was shutting down, and that the facility was sold to another company.

See the following links:

Last edited:
oh that's about as honest as Hohner saying
"made in Germany by Hohner"

Roland had originally bought SIEL out years ago and established a
Ronald Europe in that location. They made the E series there, and
developed the VK line among other things, then the FR series.
When the Euro vs Yen went belly up, they closed their Europe facility
and offered very few employees jobs in other Roland facilities.
Several people famously went to Dexibel..
the Picena real-estate was sold off

originally, FATAR was contracted to build/assemble the FR8 and
presumably the FR4, as well as whatever lower models were continued
for a time. I had understood that all other models were considered
closed from the manufacturing perspective, though certain models
are/were shown as current for years longer as inventory was exhausted.
Fatar is in Recanati

Roland has no R&D or manufacturing facilities in Europe and has had none
for a decade or so. Electronics sub assemblies were always crafted
in Asia (the LSIC chipsets and such) ALL coding and firmware is done in Asia.

FATAR is a specialty keyboard and keyboard OEM supplier to the industry.
Their R&D is extremely limited and focused on physical manufacturing.
Under their own brand they offer/offered a few MIDI controllers

as an assemby facility contracted to Roland for the FR series accordions,
they simply fulfill orders to Rolands specifications using Roland supplied
electronics with most if not all hardware being manufactured at FATAR.
We do know some tooling was transfered to FATAR when Picena closed.

the finished product is made/assembled in Italy, but not by Roland
nor in a Roland facility, unless someone can show where they purchased
FATAR in the last couple years (LoL) without anyone knowing about it

Is this out-of-date information? There were discussions in online music forums back in 2013/2014 that Roland Europe S.p.A. in Acquaviva Picena was shutting down, and that the facility was sold to another company.

Most of the links you post and links within those that do work are also out of date and now gone.

It well could be dated but the components were always the property of Roland, and that's always been a Japanese company... but it was another Italian company that said that they took over with the intent of preserving things, well, that certainly did not end up happening, did it?

That said my point is the Roland was always a Japanese product irrespective of where it was assembled or under who's thumb they wanted the public to see it as. Roland is not an Italian company, never was. So they had a factory in Italy... big deal, it was never the Italians pulling the strings, right?

I don't know what the façade was that they were trying to prove. Personally I never looked at the V-accordion as Italian. It was created and started by the Roland President in Japan and the day he passed away, the new owners pretty much poo-poo'ed on it and shut the doors in under a year.

Ventura has a lot of good insider info, but neither he or I can be 100% sure. I do know that Roland would not sell off their intellectual property under any circumstance, as that would be a big opening that could lead to info related to their entire keyboard line.

Bottom line, doesn't much matter at this point... the V-Accordion line is pretty much ended (I'd LOVE to be wrong, I would be one of the people in line for a new generation of V-accordion).

Last edited:
oh that's about as honest as Hohner saying
"made in Germany by Hohner"

Roland had originally bought SIEL out years ago and established a
Ronald Europe in that location. They made the E series there, and
developed the VK line among other things, then the FR series.
When the Euro vs Yen went belly up, they closed their Europe facility
and offered very few employees jobs in other Roland facilities.
Several people famously went to Dexibel..
the Picena real-estate was sold off

originally, FATAR was contracted to build/assemble the FR8 and
presumably the FR4, as well as whatever lower models were continued
for a time. I had understood that all other models were considered
closed from the manufacturing perspective, though certain models
are/were shown as current for years longer as inventory was exhausted.
Fatar is in Recanati

Roland has no R&D or manufacturing facilities in Europe and has had none
for a decade or so. Electronics sub assemblies were always crafted
in Asia (the LSIC chipsets and such) ALL coding and firmware is done in Asia.

FATAR is a specialty keyboard and keyboard OEM supplier to the industry.
Their R&D is extremely limited and focused on physical manufacturing.
Under their own brand they offer/offered a few MIDI controllers

as an assemby facility contracted to Roland for the FR series accordions,
they simply fulfill orders to Rolands specifications using Roland supplied
electronics with most if not all hardware being manufactured at FATAR.
We do know some tooling was transfered to FATAR when Picena closed.

the finished product is made/assembled in Italy, but not by Roland
nor in a Roland facility, unless someone can show where they purchased
FATAR in the last couple years (LoL) without anyone knowing about it
For those interested: a visit to Fatar. Note that this vlogger is interested in synthesizers.

It's very likely all me, but I really don't like Free Bass on the Roland units.
For acoustic accordions, free/converter bass and standard bass instruments are quite different since the need to carry a melody on few reeds requires a more cutting disposition. Also there is less space to work with: a 5-voice standard bass has 60 reeds, a 2-voice free bass about double.

Roland doesn't differentiate here as far as I know (which admittedly is not very far).

Also on an acoustic accordion, converter/free bass opens a single pallet on a button while standard bass mode opens two pallets (one of them large) on the bass buttons and three pallets on the chord buttons. That makes for significantly different resistance/action in single-note mode.

Last edited:
Dear members,

I have started to play the piano accordion after a long break (decades).

I am having a lot of fun with a used piano accordion I recently picked up however -
I've always been curious about the chromatic keyboard and thinking maybe I can switch to it while in the early stage of re-learning.
Also find the idea of electronic accordions fascinating and looking at a Roland FR1XB (two birds with one stone)?

The only problem is, I am not able to try one out before I buy. It is a special order. And, I have large hands / fingers.
I am hoping that someone who owns, or is otherwise familiar with this smallest model can comment on the size / spacing of the buttons and suitability for bigger hands.

Thank you in advance!
The more effort you invest into one kind just to abandon it for another, the more work you will waste. CBA has a less direct connection between score and finger action than piano accordion: playing sheet music takes quite more time to become natural. There is a reason that many polyphonic non-keyboard instruments developed their own control-oriented tablature systems retaining popularity (lute, guitar, diatonic accordion, bandonion...). Even monophonic instruments use transposing notation to better match controls to the score.

For anybody but a professional, playing sheet music on sight will be more of an order for CBA than for piano accordion. That aside, a CBA makes more sense as an instrument. The key pitch (I mean the mechanical distance) is a better match to reed plate and reed block dimensions, the percussive properties of a piano key are useless for a valve-controlled instrument like the accordion, the keyboard size in relation to the instrument range is much better for CBA, and once transposition comes into play, the on-sight advantage of piano keyboards reverses itself. Also playing by ear comes more naturally with the equally-spaced keyboard.

And at old age, the only instruments with a passable range that your back may still support may be CBA.

Of course I am biased towards the decision I made for myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

Back