• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Connecting FR-3xb via MIDI to Mac laptop (Gotchas?)

xocd

Reaction score
I would like to experiment with using my Roland FR-3xb as a midi controller where software in my laptop gets the MIDI and generates the appropriate notes. It seems that I just need a midi-to-usb cable. Something like the Fore midi-usb cable as in this youtube video:

I would connect the IN midi connector to the accordion midi connector (setup as output); the USB connector to the Powerbook, and Bob's your uncle, right?

Any gotchas?

Any midi-to-usb interface/cable that you have used, and love?

Thanks!

Other way around… MIDI OUT on the accordion, MIDI IN on the computer side… but my adapter is different… it’s MIDI in and out on one side, USB adapter on the other. That is the best way to do it on computers, IMHO.

Lots of MIDI to USB adapters out there, they all do about the same, I suppose.

There is a wagonload of bad USB/MIDI adapters around (the most iconic one features a fantasy clef on its case that is a blend of bass and violin clef). They are unreliable with SysEx and confused by "running status bytes" which directly affects the transfer of chord buttons. Preowned adapters of reputable brands that used to be expensive (typically with a USB-B connector instead of a bulit-in cable) are a better bet, as are MIDI ports of external sound cards.

Just saying. If you are getting problems, particularly with chords, the adapter should be the first suspect given today's realities.

There is a wagonload of bad USB/MIDI adapters around (the most iconic one features a fantasy clef on its case that is a blend of bass and violin clef). They are unreliable with SysEx and confused by "running status bytes" which directly affects the transfer of chord buttons. Preowned adapters of reputable brands that used to be expensive (typically with a USB-B connector instead of a bulit-in cable) are a better bet, as are MIDI ports of external sound cards.

Just saying. If you are getting problems, particularly with chords, the adapter should be the first suspect given today's realities.
Same experience here!

Back