• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Filling in the gap

Interesting, thanks George. Haven’t heard this one, kind of unusual octave moves. Cool.

Sure is good to hear those Slovenian waltzes. I grew up hearing them since I lived in "Yankovic Land". Nice use of the organ -- just like Frankie did it.
P.S. Sleepy Baby waltz is on page 16, Volume Two of Slovenian Waltzes & Polkas by Frank Yankovic and his "Yanks"

Reactions: Tom
For some reason the fingering on the runs gave me trouble.
Thanks for sharing!

It's all about using the fingering that in this case places your fingers free to hit the notes in that next measure. Don't be afraid to start with a finger other than the thumb if it frees up the fingers to flow in to the notes. In this case starting with the thumb is all thats needed to end the phrase (2nd page measures 19, 21, 23, etc...) as needed.

I decided to try the 2nd page and kind of play with your video... no one can tell that you were SLIGHTLY struggling with the scales portion, the only way I could tell is that you had a TINY slowdown on the ones that were giving you trouble... but I mean TINY.

In the end, nothing that an extra hour of focused repetition would not address, and as I said, no one noticed! :)

I liked your rendition and enjoyed playing with you... lol

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!

It's all about using the fingering that in this case places your fingers free to hit the notes in that next measure. Don't be afraid to start with a finger other than the thumb if it frees up the fingers to flow in to the notes. In this case starting with the thumb is all thats needed to end the phrase (2nd page measures 19, 21, 23, etc...) as needed.

I decided to try the 2nd page and kind of play with your video... no one can tell that you were SLIGHTLY struggling with the scales portion, the only way I could tell is that you had a TINY slowdown on the ones that were giving you trouble... but I mean TINY.

In the end, nothing that an extra hour of focused repetition would not address, and as I said, no one noticed! :)

I liked your rendition and enjoyed playing with you... lol
Thanks for the reply. I think we're talking about the runs F thru D, 4 times. I must have played the song 50 times before I felt comfortable with recording it. For the runs I ended up with T-1-2-3-T-1 for the 6 notes. The thumb doesn't count as a finger as it has 2 joints and the fingers 3 joints :)

Thanks for the reply. I think we're talking about the runs F thru D, 4 times. I must have played the song 50 times before I felt comfortable with recording it. For the runs I ended up with T-1-2-3-T-1 for the 6 notes. The thumb doesn't count as a finger as it has 2 joints and the fingers 3 joints :)
Having both the notes and you explaining the way you choose to define the fingering makes it easier to "speak your language", so I shall. Normally, I count the thumb as "1", because thats the way 99% of all method books on fingering on PAs are defined, but won't in this post, we'll use your method.

The key note that if it has the wrong finger on it kinda screws everything up is the B-flat. Using your language, yes the "3" is the one that has to be on that note, the "1" on the C, freeing up the rest of the fingers to end the phrase without needing to do any last second gymnastics. This fingering leaves 3 fingers available for the ending 2 notes. :)

I don't think you did it "incorrectly", but do want to ask you what did you feel that was challenging for you in this movement?

Having both the notes and you explaining the way you choose to define the fingering makes it easier to "speak your language", so I shall. Normally, I count the thumb as "1", because thats the way 99% of all method books on fingering on PAs are defined, but won't in this post, we'll use your method.

The key note that if it has the wrong finger on it kinda screws everything up is the B-flat. Using your language, yes the "3" is the one that has to be on that note, the "1" on the C, freeing up the rest of the fingers to end the phrase without needing to do any last second gymnastics. This fingering leaves 3 fingers available for the ending 2 notes. :)

I don't think you did it "incorrectly", but do want to ask you what did you feel that was challenging for you in this movement?
To use my lauguage I was also going with T-1-2-1-2-T-1 which felt smooth so I was going back and forth between the two. How to play the F scale on piano using the correct music language
  • Right hand: Start with your thumb on F, and play 12341234. This is different from other scales because it avoids crossing your thumb under to reach the black key Bb. Instead, your ring finger plays the Bb.

To use my lauguage I was also going with T-1-2-1-2-T-1 which felt smooth so I was going back and forth between the two. How to play the F scale on piano using the correct music language
  • Right hand: Start with your thumb on F, and play 12341234. This is different from other scales because it avoids crossing your thumb under to reach the black key Bb. Instead, your ring finger plays the Bb.
Yup, all because of the B-flat, you cannot play that scale and hit B-flat with the thumb, its just awkward as heck... so starting T-1-2-3 is the only effective/easy/smooth way.

You mention the T-1-2-1-2-T-1 and I knew it as soon as I saw it, but I picked up the accordion and tried it... it's awkward as heck to do fast smoothly... let's envision the movement:

F(T)-G(1)-A(2)-B-flat(1) (stop here).

Your fingers must be WAY more flexible than mine! Not only can I not do that without severely bending the wristbut the next movement is slipping the thumb which necessitates and huge wrist bend in the opposite direction to get the thumb under.

I would never have the index finger move *over* any finger thats on a note because the wrist has to be severely bent to be able to do that motion and that forces all other fingers to be out of place for the following notes.

T-1-2-3-T-1-2 and we are on "D" without moving the wrist even the slightest, smooth, fast and minimal movement, just like we would do in the standard F-scale (and if the goal was to play that same scale over 2 octaves, we are already in place to continue, or like in your lovely piece, just lift finger 1 and drop 1-3 for the D-F notes).

Last edited:
Another finger pattern that was comfortable for me, where Bb is on the Index finger, -- T-1, T1, T1. It uses the thumb 3 times but it is a simple pattern that "flows" nice for me --Thumb/Index, Thumb/Index, Thumb/Index.

Back