• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

FR8 Battery Storage

I will be away for 8 or 9 weeks. Should I remove the battery from my Roland FR8 while I'm away?
The manual says: "Remove the battery pack whenever the unit is to remain unused for an extended period of time".
What is an "extended period of time"?
I would play safe and remove the battery pack. It costs nothing and puts your mind at rest. :giggle:

For me, removing the battery pack is an overkill. As JerryPH said, the danger is when you let it fully discharge. This is when the screen on your 8X says "Low Battery Please Recharge"

Here's some data I have taken from four 8X, on the shelf, Battery packs. Surprisingly the voltages across all packs were nearly identical.
On 11/15/20 all batteries were fully charged. Voltage = 27.82 V
On 12/27/23 (3 years later), the battery voltages were: 25.40V, 25.40V, 25.39V and 25.44V
S-o-o, 3 of the 4 batteries were "Orange" and one was still "Green"
All measurements were taken with a Fluke 189 DVM

The 8X battery "screen" colors change at the following values:
Green to Orange = 25.40V
Orange to Red = 24.83V
Red to "Low Battery Please Recharge" = 23.74V

After 3 years "on the shelf" the batteries were still 1.66V (25.40V-23.74V=1.66V) above the fully discharged voltage.

As JerryPH has mentioned in a previous thread, it's best to charge the battery with the power button on the 8X OFF as the current output from the power supply board is near it's limit with both the Charge button and power button ON.

Back