• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

France closes last Accordion Maker Shop

Laurent Jarry at https://www.accordina.com/ is still making accordinas in France. I bought mine at his shop just outside Paris
Marcel Dreux also makes accordinas in France.
But accordinas are not accordions.
When Fisart closed down in Castelfidardo I heard that production moved to France. I wonder whether there is still a factory in France making Fisart accordions.

I've gone to Laurent Jarry's very cool shop in Paris/Montreuil and had a delightful long chat with him about CBAs and bandoneons. He repairs, restores, and purveys a spectrum of used and vintage accordions, bandoneons, and concertinas. And also makes and sells an accordina. He egged me on to give it a whirl, but I find mouth instruments uncomfortable, and it just wasn't for me.

The front page of the website for his shop, La Boite de l'Accordeon, is one of the most charming examples I've encountered of animated online graphics:

What I was told by a couple of the principal accordion shop owners/teachers/restorers in Paris while making the pilgrimage rounds during visits in 2017-2019, is that in Paris itself, interest in accordion is scant to an extreme degree. It is a shock to get there and realize that in a city that figures so hugely in the history of accordion playing, composing, and storied virtuosos, there is almost no accordion music to be found. To the degree there is interest in Paris musette and swing music on the accordion, it is happening outside of Paris, and while there is more interest outside of Paris, the interest is not huge.

In Paris one can go hear Django-style gypsy swing played by gypsy guitarists at a small enclave near the northern periphique, and there is or was a weekly Django-swing session in an Irish pub near the cite de ville where an accordionist is sometimes there in the session circle. There is a small group of musette devotees who have periodic dances and things in one of the banlieux outside Paris. But the accordion is nearly invisible in Paris.

Outside Paris in France itself, there are people playing jazz and musette on CBA. But much of the accordion interest remaining in France is bisonoric/diatonic button box playing, in the balfolk scene in Auvergne, Bretagne, and elsewhere.

Last edited:
I asked Laurent about a service for an old accordina... unfortunately he priced himself four times out of the market and Marcel Dreux undertook the work magnificently....
I now have on my shelf a rarely used in pristine condition Borel/Paul Beuscher accordina....
I must really start playing or sell on.....
_20200622_203655.JPG
Probably the best accordina ever made...(according to Marcel Dreux)..😉

Last edited:
There is a small group of musette devotees who have periodic dances and things in one of the banlieux outside Paris. But the accordion is nearly invisible in Paris.
And the Parisian tourist board is to blame.....they wish to appear progressive and ignore the past in hope of hipper futures.....give it time and they'll be begging for accordionists back on the streets...
The only person now making a living busking is American 🤣....meanwhile in the south some great accordionists can be found around the regions...**** fashionistas

I think accordion was not such an expensive thing before, such as in the 60's 70's. It was sort of everybodys instrument. I would appreciate hand made, precision, quality materials etc. but you want these prices, you cant sell while there is a huge second hand market.

I think that premium quality accordions were always expensive. But the interest was so much higher and labor and production costs so much lower that factories in Europe and the US output a ton of standard-quality instruments that were more obtainable and later became that huge supply of good used instruments

But that huge second-hand market has dwindled to a large degree, at least for items in very clean condition. And incomes are not keeping pace with the inflation on new European-made accordions. The result being that the "everybody's instrument" of today is made in Asia.

I think accordion was not such an expensive thing before, such as in the 60's 70's. It was sort of everybodys instrument. I would appreciate hand made, precision, quality materials etc. but you want these prices, you cant sell while there is a huge second hand market.
The article even mentions it once being known as the poor person’s piano

and now you can get a grand piano for less than an accordion!!

What I was told by a couple of the principal accordion shop owners/teachers/restorers in Paris while making the pilgrimage rounds during visits in 2017-2019, is that in Paris itself, interest in accordion is scant to an extreme degree. It is a shock to get there and realize that in a city that figures so hugely in the history of accordion playing, composing, and storied virtuosos, there is almost no accordion music to be found. To the degree there is interest in Paris musette and swing music on the accordion, it is happening outside of Paris, and while there is more interest outside of Paris, the interest is not huge.

In Paris one can go hear Django-style gypsy swing played by gypsy guitarists at a small enclave near the northern periphique, and there is or was a weekly Django-swing session in an Irish pub near the cite de ville where an accordionist is sometimes there in the session circle. There is a small group of musette devotees who have periodic dances and things in one of the banlieux outside Paris. But the accordion is nearly invisible in Paris.

Outside Paris in France itself, there are people playing jazz and musette on CBA. But much of the accordion interest remaining in France is bisonoric/diatonic button box playing, in the balfolk scene in Auvergne, Bretagne, and elsewhere.
there is almost no accordion music to be found.......

1728180836268.png

I agree but you can find accordion playing on Paris. This is image is a Sunday morning along the Seine where a group of buskers meet before their work day starts. It's a fantastic jam session with a variety of street players and people dancing. There are almost always several accordion players at Sacre Coeur, on several of the bridges (particulary Pont Île St Louis) and also in some of the street markets.

there is almost no accordion music to be found.......

1728180836268.png

I agree but you can find accordion playing on Paris. This is image is a Sunday morning along the Seine where a group of buskers meet before their work day starts. It's a fantastic jam session with a variety of street players and people dancing. There are almost always several accordion players at Sacre Coeur, on several of the bridges (particulary Pont Île St Louis) and also in some of the street markets.

I wouldn't say there was no accordion in Paris, just that it is scarce indeed.

I've also been to the below-linked Sunday bal musette outdoors in the Rue Mouffetard, in a charming square where an outdoor market happens on Sundays. Christian Bassoul presided on 3-row CBA. Not sure if it's still going, as my last stay was late 2019, five minutes before the pandemic lockdowns. A restaurant in the Belleville quarter offers or offered a musette night featuring a Piaf-ish singer and an accordionist and something else like an organetto or such, where they'd pass out lyrics to old-school songs. I think they wanted guests to buy dinner, never went.

I saw no accordions at or around Sacre Coeur during three years of stays of weeks in Montmartre, though on YT I've seen a stray American there on a PA. There was a French woman who used to wear period costume and play near the Lapin Agile, but I've seen her only on YT. I did see a Roma player on one of the bridges while on l'Ile St. Louis, and of course there are the Roma who come onto the Metro trains.

Last edited:

If I am reading correctly the more adult-friendly models are single-voice compact 3-row CBAs with either a couple octaves of free-bass or 50 or 60 single-voice-chord or 2-voice-chord standard basses, priced at around $3K to $4K US depending on the model. I love small, compact CBAs and PAs, but $3K and $4K for a petit-size one-voice?

This is why the Chinese are cleaning up.

Single-voice 4-row, 2 octaves of freebass, includes VAT:

Last edited:
There are certainly still accordions being made in France. Marc Serafini, Atelier Loffet, Miguel Gramontain, Bertrand Gaillard…

Last edited:
Interesting updates in responses. Yes, Ive been to Paris and in the south of France on a number of occasions, but never encountered accordion players. I did however find players of the gentlemen's game known as "Petanque" in the south in parks. Seems like an accordion would have complimented the atmosphere... just sayin

Regards,
RTW

and now you can get a grand piano for less than an accordion!!
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony! The accordion, once dubbed the "poor man's piano" is now rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty of the music realm. Here I stand, pondering the ultimate first-world problem: where to splash my cash (because pondering is free, and I'm all about that thrift life). The contenders? A £6.5K Castagnari Magica 3 "folk" accordion that's more folk than a hipster at a farmers' market, the KORG Fisa Suprema which is basically the Tesla of accordions, or the regal, handcrafted 1881 Blüthner 6' 3" Style 7 grand piano that's probably haunted by composers past. They're all vying for the VIP spot in my wallet. My heart is crooning to the Castagnari's tune, yet my wallet's giving me the side-eye... on the other hand, if my piano skills hit a sour note, at least it doubles as chic décor – score one for the piano!

Back