• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Frontalini Accordion Value

• Thread starter Thread starter copple23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copple23

Hello all.

I have inherited an accordion off my 93 year old Auntie, seems to be in great nick and plays well, all bass keys seem to work and all piano keys seem fine.

I am just learning and is a bit to much for me with 120 bass keys and has a built in pick up.

Make says Frontalini but not sure from when, my cousin recons she might of got it in the 60's but not sure.

Picture is attached.

Thanks in Advance

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0527 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0527 (Large).JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 3,441
Hi Andy,
As you may have realised if youve looked at valuation queries on this forum, the sort of thing that gets said again and again is accordions are complicated things that need maintenance. Old does not generally mean good. Whatever the value of an accordion might be in good playing condition, you have to deduct the cost of putting into good condition from that value. With many old accordions the cost of having the work done exceeds their value in playing condition, so they are only of interest to hobbyists who might do the work themselves.

So, the condition of yours is crucial to its value. If its been in the family a long time it probably needs a full overhaul with all the valves replaced, some tuning, probably pad replacement as well etc.
I did see this one for sale by Allodis, one of the most respected UK accordion dealers. It needs work. Their reputation would have an effect on the price of course.
http://www.accordions.co.uk/SpecDealviewdocs.htm/SDFronta.htm[/url]

If you have an interest in learning to play, why not keep it. Most people are daunted by the size and weight of a full sized accordion at first, but after a while it doesnt seem so significant!
Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply and the link. Yeah I think I might keep it and see if I can get used to it.

Speak to my cousin last night, I know my auntie was still playing this about 5 years ago as she played in a band in Spain and did keep it all servcied (if that's what u would call it) it's just told heavy for her now (I would be happy if I could still lift it at 87).

Unfortunately she has had to come back to the uk so she is close to family.

Thanks again and I will persist with getting used to it.

Cheers

Andy

Aside from the Frontalini accordion`s age (1940`s) dried wax, valves, and pads , not to mention tuning and gasket replacement there is a question of key depth travel which was usually a bit deep at that time in many accordions and the ( limited ?) voices of dry tuning. It looks like it might have only 3 treble reeds. The similar one advertised / pictured at Allodi`s has 4 reeds and might well be worth his asking price. Unless there is some sentimental attachment I would think it might not be cost-wise to restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back