• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Hohner Lucia IV P, Lu-chee-a, Lu-see-a?

In talking about exception to which rule of pronunciation, in particular, are you referring to?
In "cia", the "i" modifies the pronunciation of "c" (before "a", "o", "u") but is not audible in itself, certainly not as a syllable of its own. Cf "ciabatta" or "Marcia".

Last edited:
In "cia", the "i" modifies the pronunciation of "c" (before "a", "o", "u") but is not audible in itself, certainly not as a syllable of its own. Cf "ciabatta".

...but only if you are slightly hearing impaired - if not, the 'i' is audible, but very briefly.
At least that is how I heard it in Sicilia as an anglophone.

...but only if you are slightly hearing impaired - if not, the 'i' is audible, but very briefly.
Certainly not as a syllable of its own. For use in an ending, cf "Marcia".

Sorry to go off-topic. In Italian, the letters C and G can sound soft or hard. If followed by the letters A, O, U, and H they have a hard sound (similar to the English "car", "game" but only the consonant because the vowel A is pronounced differently). If followed by E or I they have a soft sound (similar to cheese, gym). the difference you can hear between Lucia and ciabatta is that in the first word the accent is on the I in the second on the first A. So changing the accent also changes the division into syllables: cia bat ta, Lu ci a

Sorry to go off-topic. In Italian, the letters C and G can sound soft or hard. If followed by the letters A, O, U, and H they have a hard sound (similar to the English "car", "game" but only the consonant because the vowel A is pronounced differently). If followed by E or I they have a soft sound (similar to cheese, gym). the difference you can hear between Lucia and ciabatta is that in the first word the accent is on the I in the second on the first A. So changing the accent also changes the division into syllables: cia bat ta, Lu ci a
Wouldn't that necessitate the spelling "Lucía" (putting an accent on the "i")?

the first video is okay. In the second, the pronunciation of St. Lucia is correct but the rest is a bit “unsure”
Thanks As always Ric!!!!

Wouldn't that necessitate the spelling "Lucía" (putting an accent on the "i")?
In Italian, accents within words are often omitted unless the same word can have two different meanings depending on where the accent falls. It is more common to find the accent on the last letter of the word (if it is needed, of course) and in other cases where without an accent it could lead to confusion. It would be useful to use the acute or grave accent on some vowels (E,O) to enable correct pronunciation but in reality pronunciation varies regionally and does not take accents into account

this is when being an American is cool..
(doncha know the world revolves around us)
we just pronounce stuff however we think we should and
thats that, we go blythely on our way for decades mis-pronouncing
everything from Triceratops to Tomatoes

the only time i comply is when i want to sing a song in Italian or German
so i listen to Rammazotti or Zuccero over and over and over again writing
out the words phoenetically until i can fool anyone listening who actually
knows the language.. i know i did a good job when they come up during
a break and start talking to me in German as if i might actually have a clue
what they are saying because they heard me sing "Mussidenn"

Volare was my first serious attempt.. Canzone Lontane my most recent Italian..
for some like Diamante, i am still trying to write an english lyric loosely based
on the translation and keep certain key phrases or words because the song
would not sound right without that "Domenica"

my first criteria, however, is simply does the song sound good and is worth
learning to me whether i ever understand what inna heck the words mean or not..
Eurovision and San Remo Music festivals being a prime source for
new songs most of my life.. WooHoo Waterloo !

thats what i mean by blowing everyone off the stage with your performance,
ABBA and Waterloo

this is when being an American is cool..
(doncha know the world revolves around us)
we just pronounce stuff however we think we should and
thats that, we go blythely on our way for decades mis-pronouncing
everything from Triceratops to Tomatoes

the only time i comply is when i want to sing a song in Italian or German
so i listen to Rammazotti or Zuccero over and over and over again writing
out the words phoenetically until i can fool anyone listening who actually
knows the language.. i know i did a good job when they come up during
a break and start talking to me in German as if i might actually have a clue
what they are saying because they heard me sing "Mussidenn"

for some like Diamante, i am still trying to write an english lyric loosely based

ABBA and Waterloo
Muss I Denn I do, Waterloo? Wow, that sounds tough.

ABBA and Waterloo

writing out the words phoenetically until i can fool anyone listening who actually
knows the language..
I also used to do the same thing for English as a kid since I didn't know the language and there was no Internet to find texts
it happens. there are Italian songs that keep some keywords in Italian in their English version
Viva San Remo! :ROFLMAO:

Well, that last post just shows my technical incompetence. I didn’t mean to make it so obvious from the start!

Thanks everyone for the notes on pronunciation. I can now confidently refer to my Lucia. I see more clearly how an accordion’s name would reflect marketing’s whims.

Thanks, Glug, for that list of Hohner accordions and all the details of reeds, keys, base notes, tunings and years of manufacture. I also have a Corona II, diatonic button accordion, which it references. If I were looking to buy another old Hohner, that list would help me immensely.

The Hohner Lucia IV P (made between 1053 and 1073) is made by Hohner, in "Metalbauweise", like the Atlantic and some other models. This results in a rather harsh tone. The common model list that "everyone" has lists just the Lucia IV (without further details) and the Lucia IV P. I'm assuming the P is from about the later 10 years and the one without P from the earlier 10 years but I don't know that for sure. Such letters (like D, M, N, P, S, T...) are typically used by Hohner to indicate different series (with minor design differences) and periods.
I don't think Hohner ever made a model specifically for the Italian market (but they did have models for the Slavik regions, like the Avsenik version of other models). Who knows how they came up with the different model names, except for the Gola and Morino which were named after their main designers.
Thanks, Debra. That makes a lot of sense.

The Hohner Lucia was produced in several variations:
Lucia II, which had 80 basses, LMM, there is a 'musette' model too, which had a more pronounced musette tuning instead the standard Hohner tuning (16 cents).
Lucia III, these were the same as II but had 96 basses. There is a variation with LMH, which was the Lucia IIIp, so the "p" stands for picollo. These straight tuned models were advertised as tango models.
So the Lucia IV is the musette model LMMM, with the standard Hohner tremelo around 16 cents under and above the concert tuned middle reed. The Lucia IVp is LMMH, with the highest reeds indicated by the letter "p".

The Hohner Lucia IVp was often called the "little Atlantic".

I really like these instruments and I don't agree on Paul DeBra's sentiment that they sound harsh. They were produced in different colours, look them up!

Currently I own three of them, but I still hope to score a green Hohner Lucia IV some day!

The Hohner Lucia was produced in several variations:
Lucia II, which had 80 basses, LMM, there is a 'musette' model too, which had a more pronounced musette tuning instead the standard Hohner tuning (16 cents).
Lucia III, these were the same as II but had 96 basses. There is a variation with LMH, which was the Lucia IIIp, so the "p" stands for picollo. These straight tuned models were advertised as tango models.
So the Lucia IV is the musette model LMMM, with the standard Hohner tremelo around 16 cents under and above the concert tuned middle reed. The Lucia IVp is LMMH, with the highest reeds indicated by the letter "p".

The Hohner Lucia IVp was often called the "little Atlantic".

I really like these instruments and I don't agree on Paul DeBra's sentiment that they sound harsh. They were produced in different colours, look them up!

Currently I own three of them, but I still hope to score a green Hohner Lucia IV some day!
Thanks for that, Paul. That’s a good explanation about the P series, and i realize I’m lucky to have snagged a IVP instead of a IV. It’s better suited to my taste, as I’m drawn to tremolo and will be happy with 16 cent tuning. I’m moving up from a univoice 48 button Frontalini, my main squeeze these last 10 years. I didn’t know the Hohner Lucia series came in different colors! Cool.

Back