• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

HOHNER VOX 3 ATLANTIC IVN set up.

richardp

Reaction score
Hi to all, I have just purchased this VINTAGE HOHNER VOX 3 ATLANTIC IVN MUSETTE ACCORDION WITH SOUND BOX as untested. It came with foot volume pedal & cables to connect pedal & Accordion to the HOHNER VOX 3 rhythm box. When connected box lights up on the different settings but no sound, does it require an external Amp for it to work, if so what port does it plug into? As I know nothing about midi`s any help would be appreciated. Accordion plays fine on its own, but would be nice to have this working, see picture.

7can anyone

Attachments

• Screenshot_27-8-2024_13148_www.ebay.co.uk.jpeg
    Screenshot_27-8-2024_13148_www.ebay.co.uk.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you need amplification but not sure how you connect it - I have a Vox4.
Bear in mind though that this is not MIDI, but Hohners own system.

Yes, you need amplification but not sure how you connect it - I have a Vox4.
Bear in mind though that this is not MIDI, but Hohners own system.
Thanks for your reply, only ports are whats on the back, as in attachment

Attachments

• DSCN3382.JPG
    DSCN3382.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 12
Try connecting it to the one marked “Leslie” and leave the switch set to “1” channel.

Try connecting it to the one marked “Leslie” and leave the switch set to “1” channel.
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have`nt bought an amp yet as did`nt know if it required one. I have a Karaoke machine, maybe I could plug it into the mike port on that to test ?, if I can source a cable.

Likely you will need a small mixer and insert the various outputs from that in to the mixer.
Just a little note, 2 things lead me to say that the electronics are not likely to work... the fact that they say unmentioned, and the fact that these are close to 50 years old now means the electronics in that box have a very very low chance of being functional.

Was looking through some of my paperwork, and though it will likely be of more help to Knobby than RichardP, it may give some more hints. I have the original factory brochure from the VOX4. Here are some fast pics of all 6 pages from it:
pg1.jpg pg3.jpg pg4.jpg

pg2.jpg pg5.jpg pg6.jpg

The "full kit" came with an 8-channel powered mixer with a 3-way speaker setup. Looks like the 3rd speaker is a two box setup... a woofer and separate Leslie box, but with integrated amps (they're huge). It has all the same basic hook-ups as the VOX3, it seems, so method to hook-up would be the same.

Oh, BTW, please just ignore the little hand-written notes. Like most things in my life, everything has a story. The story of this piece of paper is that my father wrote Hohner Canada for more info as we were basically shopping and researching my next accordion. Hohner sent us this brochure, and Excelsior sent theirs for their top of the line electronic box. The VOX4 was directly compared to Excelsior's best and both of those were matched up against the Elkavox, which ended up winning over them all in terms of features, sounds and accordion quality.

Elka.png

I hope this helps some!

Last edited:
Hi to all, I have just purchased this VINTAGE HOHNER VOX 3 ATLANTIC IVN MUSETTE ACCORDION WITH SOUND BOX as untested. It came with foot volume pedal & cables to connect pedal & Accordion to the HOHNER VOX 3 rhythm box. When connected box lights up on the different settings but no sound, does it require an external Amp for it to work, if so what port does it plug into? As I know nothing about midi`s any help would be appreciated. Accordion plays fine on its own, but would be nice to have this working, see picture.

7can anyone
Thank you all for your replies, have now bought a lead & connected it between the hohner vox 3 box & external amp, all the buttons on the accordion works fine through the hohner vox 3 box to the amp, but although each button on the rhythm section of the box lights up when individually selected, no rhythm sounds comes from it. any ideasDSCN3395[1].JPG

you posted the photo of the outputs, you see there are 3,
you need 3 wires ? why did you only buy one ?

each of those "holes" where you can plug in a "Gazinta" is
clearly marked for different sound sections

Bass/accompaniment
Solo/Percussion
Leslie

Percussion is another word for "Drum stuff" or for the percussive attack for organ sounds

Accompaniment is another word for automated background stuff
which might include the drum pattern stuff and maybe bass stuff and chord stuff too

Leslie is where the organ sounds should come out, mostly
i would guess one of those holes also sends out the accordion microphones sound

they all need to be plugged in

3 holes, 3 wires that go into them, the other end of those 3 wires
into the amp

you posted the photo of the outputs, you see there are 3,
you need 3 wires ? why did you only buy one ?

each of those "holes" where you can plug in a "Gazinta" is
clearly marked for different sound sections

Bass/accompaniment
Solo/Percussion
Leslie

Percussion is another word for "Drum stuff" or for the percussive attack for organ sounds

Accompaniment is another word for automated background stuff
which might include the drum pattern stuff and maybe bass stuff and chord stuff too

Leslie is where the organ sounds should come out, mostly
i would guess one of those holes also sends out the accordion microphones sound

they all need to be plugged in

3 holes, 3 wires that go into them, the other end of those 3 wires
into the amp
Hi, I only have a karaoke machine at mo with 2 mike inputs, so I gather I will need an amp with 3 ports? how does the rhythm (tempo) section in photo come to work, sorry if I sound thick, but as with my keyboard I just press a dance button & it plays in that dempo.

you see the light for "downbeat" ?

whenever a rhythm pattern is "running" you will see the
downbeat light blink on the first beat of a measure on these
old analog type rhythm sections, that's how you know the pattern is
running even if you cannot hear it

and when a rhythm pattern is selected, you still have to do something
so it knows when to start.. like press a start button, or intro button,
or press a KEY or bass button.. just as you will need to tell it when to stop

you truly need to find an owners manual and study it

you see the light for "downbeat" ?

whenever a rhythm pattern is "running" you will see the
downbeat light blink on the first beat of a measure on these
old analog type rhythm sections, that's how you know the pattern is
running even if you cannot hear it

and when a rhythm pattern is selected, you still have to do something
so it knows when to start.. like press a start button, or intro button,
or press a KEY or bass button.. just as you will need to tell it when to stop

you truly need to find an owners manual and study it
Hi all, have spent a bit of time on it today, all lights on rhythm section light up when selected except no blinking from "downbeat" light. All coloured buttons on accordion sound through Rhythm box to the amp as it should just no sound from rhythm section playing, I think I have tried every combination, Couldn`t find an owners manual anywhere so have printed off the setup for the vox 4 box, although it is very similar to the vox 3 it still doesn`t tell you how to trigger/start the rhythm section. so I assume that part needs repairing. Have checked the fuses inside which are ok.

Start/stop of the rhythm box can only come from a couple places... the START/STOP button on the rhythm unit, if there is none there, then from the control button on a foot pedal. If that's missing, it has to be found and setup before being able to get it all to work.

Start/stop of the rhythm box can only come from a couple places... the START/STOP button on the rhythm unit, if there is none there, then from the control button on a foot pedal. If that's missing, it has to be found and setup before being able to get it all to work.
There is no START/STOP on the rhythm box, & none on foot pedal as it is only a volume pedal?

No idea if it's the same, but on the Vox 4 you hit the side of the pedal to start the rhythm.

There is no START/STOP on the rhythm box, & none on foot pedal as it is only a volume pedal?
the original pedal may have had 2 side bars that acted like switches... how else was the rhythm unit to turn on or off without either of these two?

No idea if it's the same, but on the Vox 4 you hit the side of the pedal to start the rhythm.
My thought exactly. :)

The original pedal of my Elka has the main volume switch and 2 switches on either side of the foot... one is for the drum break and the other was for a 1/2 tone drop on any instrumental sound... the start-stop was a switch above the volume rocker but either of the 2 side switches could serve as that as well.

Back