• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

I found a baby accordion at a Farmers market!

Jaime_Dergut

Reaction score
Hi dear community.

Look what I found at my local farmers market!

Accordion.jpg

A Noble accordion 12 bass. Almost in perfect condition and with original case!

Now, isn't this great? People are going nuts for this baby accordion.

Hi dear community.

Look what I found at my local farmers market!

Accordion.jpg

A Noble accordion 12 bass. Almost in perfect condition and with original case!

Now, isn't this great? People are going nuts for this baby accordion.
Awesome! Nice waterfall keys and a C# just begging for that old classic rock standard, โ€œPaint it Black.โ€

Awesome! Nice waterfall keys and a C# just begging for that old classic rock standard, โ€œPaint it Black.โ€
Black key.jpg

There is nothing that can't be fix with electric tape! Now the key is black and soft to the touch!

After lubricating and cleaning the reeds, this things plays beatifully. I already got all the money back on tips by playing at downtown Detroit!

Electric tape?
Lubricating?
Holy cow ...
Electric tape is fine, if it's just to fix a single black key like that. Obviously you'd want to do it properly for a long-term repair, but for a temporary solution it should be alright.
Lubricating, however... oooh dear. Don't lubricate accordions. They're big air filters, and eventually the lubricant becomes a sticky mess of oily dust and debris, and it ends up worse than before. And then you have to clean it all off! As for cleaning the reeds, as long as they weren't cleaned with soapy water they should be fine!

Electric tape?
Lubricating?
Holy cow ...
What?

Electric tape cost nothing. Was the perfect solution for the missing black key!

I applied an old trick of lubrication that was passed to me by my mentor accordion repairman in Chicago. Is a special oil that dries up and won't accumulate debris.

The baby sounds like it was just born yesterday!

Lubricating, however... oooh dear. Don't lubricate accordions. They're big air filters, and eventually the lubricant becomes a sticky mess of oily dust and debris, and it ends up worse than before. And then you have to clean it all off! As for cleaning the reeds, as long as they weren't cleaned with soapy water they should be fine!
Aww, but you don't know the special trick I learned. The oil I used drys quickly and does not leave any goo left to accumulate bad stuff.

It is a bit smelly, so I had to let it dry, on the bass machine, for a couple hours in the open.

I had a small plastic tool and pieces of microfiber that I used to clean the reeds. The baby sounds wonderful and I am just happy I got it for such a low price.

Aww, but you don't know the special trick I learned. The oil I used drys quickly and does not leave any goo left to accumulate bad stuff.

Greetings! Are you able to share with us the specific lubricant that you used? I am just personally curious. Since the long-time advice from most accordion repairers has been to avoid most lubricants in nearly all situations, if you know of something that you believe to be effective, it would make for an interesting discussion

I might be missing the whole point of this conversation, but I think the point is to get the C# key to a darker/black color. If the C# key is wood, using oil is definitely a good solution. This application would be good since it isn't applied in an area that would affect the mechanical operation of the accordion such as the key mounting rods or any moving parts of the accordion. .

For me linseed oil is the best -- keep adding it and the wood will darken. I use it as a preservative on my concrete chimney caps and they are totally black. I didn't use it for the color -- only as a preservative. I don't know of a better preservative available today that is better.
P.S. Don't use linseed oil on your concrete walks or driveway -- it will preserve them, but you won't like the look.

Hi John
It seems the lube was used for some internal guts (bass-mechanic eventually).
The c#-key was "fixed" by means of an electric tape.

? I am just personally curious. Since the long-time advice from most accordion repairers has been to avoid most lubricants in nearly all situations, if you know of something that you believe to be effective, it would make for an interesting discussion
Time marches on and new products arise which may make older practices outdated?๐Ÿค”
I have often wondered if a product such as this may, perhaps, be suitable for accordions?๐Ÿค”

Greetings! Are you able to share with us the specific lubricant that you used? I am just personally curious. Since the long-time advice from most accordion repairers has been to avoid most lubricants in nearly all situations, if you know of something that you believe to be effective, it would make for an interesting discussion

Sure, the lubricant I used is T-9 Boeshield, it takes away moisture, dirt and stuff without leaving any oily remains since it dries up and makes the surface pretty much water proof.

I use this for my bike chains and it is really effective. The smell can be strong, however, and it is better to let it dry for a couple of hours after application.

Back