• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Interview with the Founder of Beltuna

It's in Italian
It is!

Listening to it carefully I feel (and maybe time may prove me wrong) that we are listening to a great innovator that has recently gone down a very expensive rabbit hole with, to quote, "extreme possibilities" and a lot dependent on "programming".

I question where is the demand, and even if there are enough wealthy American retired dentists to buy these instruments, what new musical stories are going to be opened up by it?

The best new music imho that will stand the test of time is amongst others, Philip Glass. And there we have traditional instruments, and where electonica happens it's of a pretty primitive form.

Last edited:
At least we have someone thinking new ways, new things, innovations. Never has something new been for everyone, but Beltuna is hoping that they are at least peaking the interest of some people, hopefully doing things in a direction that will continue the legacy of accordions.

BTW, Beltuna accordions are quite amazing... at least the one that I own is (I've not played all their top tier models), and I am betting that the newer ones are as good or better. That "Amplisound" is very interesting in how it works (a high end sordino, if you will), and the feel of quality and the performance is really up there. The tone is pleasing and has a wide dynamic range.

All that goodness could not come from a company that didn't care in some way or another. In terms of a "modern" company, I'd have to place Beltuna right up there beside the others that are classed as best of the best.

Will they survive? No idea, but a company that innovates will have an advantage over a company that doesn't, that's my hope and opinion at least. :)

The Beltuna accordions I have tried were nothing less than amazing. I briefly played a Leader V with Amplisound (an extra sound resonance chamber inside the accordion that can be opened or closed using register buttons) and the effect is very noticeable. It has to be heard to know what it is (Jerry knows it all too well...)
I much later tried a Prestige Paris IV button accordion which excelled in having a very uniform sound over all three rows of buttons, something very rarely found in any large button accordion.
Beltuna really produces excellent and innovative instruments. But it does come at a price... which is why I don't own one...

In terms of a "modern" company, I'd have to place Beltuna right up there beside the others that are classed as best of the best.
From what I've heard of them I'd completely agree, they have a very good sound and a lovely company too. My point though is the huge R&D costs on this particular project are going to need very significant sales to balance the outlay. Coupled with this it needs armies of retired dentists who are happy to take a risk on comparatively short life components (solenoids and electronic brain). Is there a significantly affluent market for the accordion?

Historically we have a precedent as the organ went down this route for a bit. All great until the day the computer doesn't boot up and a solenoid fails. There is a reason that totally mechanical action is now favoured all things being equal.

At least with Roland's and other novelties they share a lot of core common R&D with synthesisers, electronic keyboards/pianos and electronic drums which are far more mass market.

It'd be interesting to hear from folks that have ordered a Matrix how they are getting on. Anyone there? ;-)

Here is a fan but I wonder if it translated into an actual order? Interesting to note the involvement of the organ builder in the development of the playing action.

I have a Roland FR-4x among my instruments, and I can rell you that the there are two areas of concern that most people who come from a strictly acoustic background to a digital one have: sound, and bellows action. A hybrid accordion like the Beltuna Matrix would address both concerns, since it still employs reeds and standard bellows.

My concerns with such a system are the usual:

Flexibility —> Cimplexity —> servicing problems down the line.

Can a company like Beltuna, famous both for quality and innovation afford to torture-test the Matrix system to reveal problems that could potentially crop up years later? Could accordion repair people be trained and given the necessary replacement parts to deal with problems down the line, or would an insstrument that develops problems in, say, ten years have to be sent back to the factory for service?

Although some features of the system lead to enhanced musicality, others seem superfluous to me. Pre-programming register changes is one. I was always nervous about missing a switch until a teacher tild me, “Who in the audience would notice, exept perhaps another accordionist?” Part of me would think that I'd be paying for a feature I wouldn’t use, but another part of me would ask if I use every feature of my Roland?

So., for the price of a Beltuna Matrix, a potential buyer would have a lot to consider before buying. And when has this not been the case?

My concerns with such a system are the usual:

Flexibility —> Cimplexity —> servicing problems down the line.
Well, we know the standard life story of acoustic electronic hybrids passing through the hands of several owners: at some point of time, the supporting outside electronics get lost. Somewhat later, the electronics (outdated anyway) are removed from the instrument in the course of repair/restauration jobs.

That is not an option for the Matrix.

I am a bit of a techno geek... for THAT reason, I could appreciate the Matrix, and if someone gave me one to play or test, I'd enjoy it immensely, but do not ask me if I lust after one in the same manner I did for my Gola as a search for a very much personally desired "ultimate" accordion.

Here is a fan but I wonder if it translated into an actual order? Interesting to note the involvement of the organ builder in the development of the playing action.

Uh oh. To quote:
There's a downside to this hybrid system, in my opinion. The current version of the instrument makes the left hand operate in an On/Off mode. The On mode is operating on two "steps": when you push the button until half of it's length it plays softer and after that it plays louder. The downside I am talking about regards playing around the different pressures on the button in order to create micro variations of the sound intensity. This also means that you cannot make a pitch bending, also known as glissando non temperato, with the left hand. At first it bothered me a bit, but in all honesty it seems absolutely ridiculous to dismiss all the solutions the instrument has found to decades-long problems of our instrument only because you cannot do one of the techniques.
That sounds way different than the description from the manufacturer that suggested sort of a linear response of the buttons rather than just 2 points. That would essentially doom button articulation for controlled decay of bass notes, something quite more important to me than pitch bending.

There’s controlled decay of bass notes, and then there’s uncontrolled decay of bass notes. How about a situation where a bass button held down, over a few tenths of a second, seems to “lose” all of its reed sounds but one?

That’s why I gave up my SEM Ciao reed-less some years ago.

There’s controlled decay of bass notes, and then there’s uncontrolled decay of bass notes. How about a situation where a bass button held down, over a few tenths of a second, seems to “lose” all of its reed sounds but one?

That’s why I gave up my SEM Ciao reed-less some years ago.
If I remember correctly, they might have used a midified standard bass mechanic with the bass coupled into the chord notes, then used an insufficient mechanic solution for blocking those added chord notes that worked reliably only when no chord buttons were being pressed. Works for Oom-Pah alternating basses and simple bass/chord combinations (those where the bass note is also present in the chord). When you then add additional logic in the processing to not-really-fix the problem actually caused by the mechanics, you get artifacts like those you describe.

You'd need to take a wire cutter to the mechanics (and I am not sure it is possible) and remove the "fixes" in the logic.

If I remember correctly, they might have used a midified standard bass mechanic with the bass coupled into the chord notes, then used an insufficient mechanic solution for blocking those added chord notes that worked reliably only when no chord buttons were being pressed. Works for Oom-Pah alternating basses and simple bass/chord combinations (those where the bass note is also present in the chord). When you then add additional logic in the processing to not-really-fix the problem actually caused by the mechanics, you get artifacts like those you describe.

You'd need to take a wire cutter to the mechanics (and I am not sure it is possible) and remove the "fixes" in the logic.
Well, it’s somebody else’s problem now, if it hasn’t been junked …

Well, it’s somebody else’s problem now, if it hasn’t been junked …
Well, the wirecutter can be applied by a skilled person. The logic "fixes" can reasonably only be undone by the manufacturer. I think this is a consequence of a lack of in-house or in-department expertise or even authorization ("A wirecutter? Those are expensive bass mechanics, I made sure to get the best on the market, and you want to damage them permanently? You are electronics guys. Fingers off.").

you will likely think this shallow of me, but the honest truth is,
while i have a high regard for Beltuna, there is just no way Jose that
i will ever own one because of the ridiculous reason that from the start
they all sported those huge block letters on the fronts.. look sorta like
the alphabet blocks we had as kids.. and they spell in huge letters,
besides the brand name
TUNA

now i want my accordions to smell like a Rose,
(or my Rosie's to smell like accordions.. something like that)
but sure as heck not stinky TUNA

you know, those fish that come in a little can and we have every
friday Tuna Casserole, in poor land-locked Catholic homes and it stinks like...
TUNA
every Friday
EVERY FRIDAY

TUNA ? emblazoned across my $5000 accordion ? i think not

even if i got one for cheap, which i have had opportunities, nope

i just can't get over the odiferous association in my head and GOD FORBID
i strolled with a steenkin' fishy cordeen in a nice Italian Resteraunt unless they
were having Pesce that night anyway

thank god i already have more nice smelling accordions than i could ever
wear out in a lifetime

belTUNAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

besides the brand name
TUNA

now i want my accordions to smell like a Rose,
(or my Rosie's to smell like accordions.. something like that)
but sure as heck not stinky TUNA

you know, those fish that come in a little can and we have every
friday Tuna Casserole, in poor land-locked Catholic homes and it stinks like...
TUNA
every Friday
EVERY FRIDAY

TUNA ? emblazoned across my $5000 accordion ? i think not

even if i got one for cheap, which i have had opportunities, nope

i just can't get over the odiferous association in my head and GOD FORBID
i strolled with a steenkin' fishy cordeen in a nice Italian Resteraunt unless they
were having Pesce that night anyway

thank god i already have more nice smelling accordions than i could ever
wear out in a lifetime

belTUNAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
You definitely gotta take a trip up to Rhode Island and get some fresh tuna, right off the boat. It’s like the difference between a Gola and a Parrot. I wouldn’t touch a can, but the fresh stuff…meraviglioso! I can’t believe you haven’t tried it on the grill….

You definitely gotta take a trip up to Rhode Island and get some fresh tuna, right off the boat. It’s like the difference between a Gola and a Parrot. I wouldn’t touch a can, but the fresh stuff…meraviglioso! I can’t believe you haven’t tried it on the grill….
You mean, the grille.

• Very Funny
Reactions: Tom
You mean, the grille.
Yeah, not recommended to use tuna for the accordion grille, though, unless you’re playing Viva La Moglie del Pescatore…..

(In US English, the words grill and grille are used pretty interchangeably, as a noun, though not as a verb, where you can grill your own tuna, but you can’t grille someone else’s.)

besides the brand name
TUNA
You remind me of that time I worked at a graphics card manufacturer and their marketing department vetoed names like naming a card after its ViRGE processor "V2" since that would be a no-go (Spanish "Nova", like the car) for a German export into UK.

"Beltuna" seems very mild in comparison. And nobody keeps you from relettering.

Frankly, "Hohner" is not exactly subtle with its logo placements either and never has been.

Back