• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Learning about the Saratovskaya Garmonika--Russian Folk Accordion

vonodoon

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the saratovskaya garmonika? I know it is a Russian folk accordion from Saratov, Russia that incorporates bells and buttons and plays in A-flat. Besides that I know nothing else. I'm an amateur accordion player and recently acquired one that was made during the USSR. What are some popular songs? Was it crafted by any specific culture? I can tell there's a lot oIMG_7414.jpgf history to this instrument.
Honestly, I'm inclined to sell this accordion to anyone who appreciates it. As a beginner, I feel like I'd rather have one that plays in a more common key to make learning and jamming easier.

Is anyone familiar with the saratovskaya garmonika?
Hi vonodoon and welcome!πŸ™‚
Here's one in action!πŸ™‚
Apparently, some of them at least, have bells as part of the bass system.

Another glimpse:

One more (and there's many more like these ):

BTW, they come in all sizes (shapes too)!πŸ˜„

Last edited:
Essentially, a Russian take on a single-row melodeon originating from the region of Saratov.
With some extra bells & whistles. Literally.
Traditionally, they had cassotto in the treble side. In fact that's not the only Russian traditional harmonika that had cassotto, they might have invented it well before Germans or Italians started incorporating it in their instruments.

You can use google translate and read this little article.

Bisonoric squezeboxes (1-, 2-, 3-, 4-rows, usually with extended bass compared to European counterparts) were standard until about 1950s, when the Party decided to suddenly stop almost all production of bisonoric instruments and any related literature, and told soviet harmonika players that they all need to switch to the "hromka" unisonoric diatonic model. A huge amount of information about traditional bisonoric instruments has been lost, and today you'd really struggle to find any sheet music for them. Most of the tradition has been lost, but afaik there's a little bit of effort these days to preserve whatever little has been left. Just how HIP and authentic the result, is open to discussion.

I expect that you'll be able to play the usual single-row box repertoire from all over the world. The problem with any accordion mass-produced in a soviet factory is that you usually can't treat it as an accordion - you have to treat it as a parts kit that can be rebuilt into an accordion that actually works. In most cases, you get horrible reeds, horrible mechs, horrible woodwork, close to zero set-up and non-existent QC.
Sometimes there are pleasant exceptions to this rule, so I hope you have a good one.

Last edited:
The " inside" story!πŸ™‚
Judging by the the number of hits on YouTube, the Saratovskayas have a large local following!πŸ™‚
Only this is a Tatar harmonika, not "Saratovka". Different squeezebox. ;)

Update - according to the header, it's a "Talianka" but I can't spot any significant right hand difference between a "Vyatka" "Talianka" or "Tatar Harmonika" as it's called in the Alfred Mirek book. Perhaps, it's the presence of the bells in the LHS that makes it a "Talianka".

Last edited:
Same principle indeed. You squeeze the bellows, press a button and produce a squeak. :p

I have one of these that I am restoring, It has a adtional button that gives another chord. As far as I can tell the bass is set up so if you press the bass buttons lightly you get the reeds, and pressing it quickly will cause the bell to be struck. I got the notion somewhere that the bells were for step changes in a dance situation. Otherwise it is a lot like a Cajun setup.
There was one in the museum in Tula when I visited the owner of the museum played a song for us.

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 5
Back