• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Neighbor Problems

Last edited:
The Jenny Lind polka is a good one to start with, because it’s pretty simple and may make your neighbor happy. The tune was used for a popular dance mixer from the 1900s through the 1960s, so old-timers sometimes know it as the Pattycake Polka or Heel and Toe Polka.

During the pandemic lockdown I used to play for an hour on my porch when the weather was decent, and neighbors appreciated that. We also have an annual Thanksgiving day 10K race down our street, and I usually play for the runners. A new audience every minute!

During the pandemic lockdown I used to play for an hour on my porch when the weather was decent, and neighbors appreciated that. We also have an annual Thanksgiving day 10K race down our street, and I usually play for the runners. A new audience every minute!
They both cant and can run away 😄

I know exactly one polka and that's what I play whenever someone asks me to play a polka.
In Germany, an insidious choice might be the widely known "Flohwalzer" (using mainly black keys and thus pretty easy on a piano keyboard). It will cause a brawl among the audience of the "but this is a waltz"/"no it isn't" kind and stop further requests. Probably not good for the tip jar though as nobody likes a smartass.

I actually have no idea how that two-step acquired its misnomer title. According to Wikipedia it is called "Chopsticks" in Britain and "Flea Waltz" in the States. With other English-speaking countries, it would be my guess that the title depends on whether cars drive on the left or the right side of the road ("where playing Cricket is a thing" has lost its usefulness as a distinguishing mark).

Back