• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

On requests to teach accordion repair

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that, lately, I have been getting a lot of requests, mostly from young people, to teach them accordion repair. Some live in my town, others are planning a visit for an extended period. I've always tried to be generous with the knowledge I've spent years gaining, and frequently show clients how to do small repairs themselves, rather than paying me to do them. I also spend several hours per week replying to people's accordion queries by email, again at no charge. I figure it's all part of maintaining a reputation for helpfulness and integrity. However, I am unsure how to deal with these increasing requests to teach accordion repair, for which no compensation is typically offered. It would be very strange to ask an auto mechanic to teach you how to fix cars, rather than paying them to do it for you, yet people think nothing of asking this of an accordion mechanic, apparently. I'm not interested in and don't have the physical space to hire an employee or apprentice. I have offered to work on someone's accordion with them, explaining what I am doing and letting them help, while charging my usual hourly rate, after which I don't tend to hear from them again. On one hand, I recognize a dearth of capable accordion technicians, and I'd like to be part of passing on these skills. Others were deeply generous with teaching me, and I'd like to pay that back. On the other hand, it all feels a bit entitled. I would never think of asking someone to give me something of real value without offering anything in return, and I wouldn't dream of plying this trade in the same region as the men who taught me, at least while they are still active. I am curious to know how other accordion techs handle these requests.

It seems that, lately, I have been getting a lot of requests, mostly from young people, to teach them accordion repair.
Though not an accordion technician myself, I think your offer to let them watch you doing it (with commentary) at your usual fee is most generous and possibly the best option all round!🙂

That’s a refreshingly generous approach. It seems to me that I read somewhere that the old master technicians were often reluctant to reveal their secrets. I follow the accordion repair group on Facebook, not because I want to learn to do it myself, but because it further helps me how accordions are constructed, how technicians compensate for bad design, and how to recognize when my acoustic accordion can use professional help.

If they live nearby I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for an apprenticeship - which is how it would have been done 50 years ago, but now you can probably count the USA shops that have enough work to take on an apprentice on the fingers of one hand.

If their own accordion needs serviced anyway they may well take you up on your offer, but there's only so much they can learn from one session. It comes down to "what would you charge them, if anything, to watch you repair someone else's accordion?" - and that is a question of how close you are to wanting to do a mini-apprenticeship.

Between the lack of apprenticeships (paid or unpaid), and the cost of private lessons -- you've pinned down why people decide that flying to Italy for 2 weeks of group lessons is good value for money.

It seems that, lately, I have been getting a lot of requests, mostly from young people, to teach them accordion repair. ...
Send them to the Accordion Craft Academy in Castelfidardo (hosted by Victoria). They can learn the ropes from actual accordion makers and repairers, and in passing also learn that learning the trade does not come for free! (These courses are not cheap, and you should also add the expense of travel and lodging, but I found it a very valuable experience.)

Back