• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Playing standing up?

hummingbird

Reaction score
Okay, so...I feel as though this is the dumbest question imaginable, but I have to ask. I have played in various informal groups, and we all play sitting down. I've almost never done it any other way. I don't have any back issues but have always wanted to protect my back, especially when I would see guys who developed back problems from years of playing, like Dick Contino for example.
But this week I'm supposed to be playing with an Irish music band, and many of the musicians (though not all) play standing up. Not hard when you play the flute or guitar! Sheesh. So I decided to try practicing standing up, and found it to be a lot harder than I expected.
Is there a trick to this? Any recommendations? I have an excellent back brace for accordion, so that wasn't an issue, but I found that I had to deal with more issues playing that way than when sitting. Using a bar stool may be the best compromise.
I've never heard anyone discuss this. Advice gratefully received.

The main issue is that, when playing standing, you are carrying the accordion instead of resting much of it mainly on your thighs so your shoulders, back, arms and wrists experience more stress than when seated.🙂

Last edited:
The main issue is that when playing standing you are carrying the accordion instead of resting much of it mainly on your thighs so your shoulders, back, arms and wrists experience more stress than when seated.🙂
Well that sure explains why it suddenly was so difficult to hold it properly.

If you have not prepared to do something and just jump in doing it... expect a LOT of pain and potentially a lot of damage. That can be said of anything, even something as simple as walking. Without proper training and preperation, go do a 12 hour walk... how good do you think that will feel? Do you think it will be good for your joints, back, muscles, overal health?

Same can be said of standing with the accordion.

I remember CLEARLY the first time I stood playing with the Morino for 6-7 hours. Yes, I was sore as hell for a while, but I was in my 20's and in really good physical shape, but it was definitely a STUPID thing to do. I had done no practicing, no prep, just went and did it. I got lucky that I did not hurt myself worse... the Morino is a heavy accordion.

"Okay, so...I feel as though this is the dumbest question imaginable..."

It is not the dumbest question, but it is easy to answer... unless you are accustomed to doing it, are in shape and comfortable to do it, I would be up front and honest with the other members of the group and tell them that you would not be doing it standing, but would accept using a taller bar stool... and then get yourself a stool and USE it for a full week so that you have at least a fair idea of what that feels like.

I have historically always played standing up. Never liked sitting down at all, particularly on a regular chair. Even up to about 7-10 yrs ago, I was still standing on gigs. These days, into my 70's I use a saddle, similar to a drummer's seat but taller; more on the order of a bar stool(K & M Stool). I find it comfortable. I take it on gigs also. As far as finding standing uncomfortable, I never did and I used to play two gigs a day; 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night; both 4 hours each, always standing. If I were to play with a combo now, I think I would still try to stand. I have always played full size accordions and still do. My back never bothered me; I'm not a big guy so maybe it's genetic. Don't know, but I don't think there is any trick to it, other than getting used to it.

when using a stool

first and foremost, bring your own..
if you "borrow" one from the bar you force the proprietor to
lose the revenue that stool would have generated that night

second, the stool should be of a height that you can LEAN back on it,
not necessarily get UP and sit on it

the leg spread is important, you want one that is stable regardless
of which way your center mass leans, as well as one that does NOT
get in the way of your feet

i found 6 lightweight welded rod stools that the rods angled out
toward the floor just a bit and i re-padded the lazy-susan mounted seats
and used them most of my life ( still have 2 of them.. the rest wore out )

Try playing while standing. It works and you might enjoy it. But at the slightest hint of pain or discomfort - SIT DOWN! Then stand up, repeat ad nauseam....

If you have not prepared to do something and just jump in doing it... expect a LOT of pain and potentially a lot of damage. That can be said of anything, even something as simple as walking. Without proper training and preperation, go do a 12 hour walk... how good do you think that will feel? Do you think it will be good for your joints, back, muscles, overal health?

Same can be said of standing with the accordion.

I remember CLEARLY the first time I stood playing with the Morino for 6-7 hours. Yes, I was sore as hell for a while, but I was in my 20's and in really good physical shape, but it was definitely a STUPID thing to do. I had done no practicing, no prep, just went and did it. I got lucky that I did not hurt myself worse... the Morino is a heavy accordion.

"Okay, so...I feel as though this is the dumbest question imaginable..."

It is not the dumbest question, but it is easy to answer... unless you are accustomed to doing it, are in shape and comfortable to do it, I would be up front and honest with the other members of the group and tell them that you would not be doing it standing, but would accept using a taller bar stool... and then get yourself a stool and USE it for a full week so that you have at least a fair idea of what that feels like.
I’ve actually been doing that. Half-standing on a higher stool seems like something I can manage.

Try playing while standing. It works and you might enjoy it. But at the slightest hint of pain or discomfort - SIT DOWN! Then stand up, repeat ad nauseam....
For this gig I know I can’t get up to speed fast enough. But I think I’m going to start practicing.
The issue wasn’t pain really; it was the awkwardness of handling the accordion differently. As Dingo commented above, suddenly I was dealing with different muscle groups.

L
when using a stool

first and foremost, bring your own..
if you "borrow" one from the bar you force the proprietor to
lose the revenue that stool would have generated that night

second, the stool should be of a height that you can LEAN back on it,
not necessarily get UP and sit on it

the leg spread is important, you want one that is stable regardless
of which way your center mass leans, as well as one that does NOT
get in the way of your feet

i found 6 lightweight welded rod stools that the rods angled out
toward the floor just a bit and i re-padded the lazy-susan mounted seats
and used them most of my life ( still have 2 of them.. the rest wore out )
Yes! That’s exactly the kind of stool I want. The one I have at home works fine but it’s not something I can drag around to a gig.
Hm. Maybe I should head over to Guitar Center and see what they have.

many of us, particularly the Organ-Accordionists back in the day,
would buy a Drum throne, as they can be very nicely padded,
some have backs, many have a Hydraulic lift like an office chair
but it goes a bit higher usually and of course they fold up
and are made to be convenient for a gigging musician.. the
4 leg scissors are more stable for an accordionist, most
have a 3 leg scissors design

you will also find the common round Chrome type stools
with various LOGO designs in the guitar department.. they are
lightweight but a bit bulky and may be too high for some people..
auto parts stores carry these too, but with a Pennzoil logo

actually a great place for grabbing a decent bar-stool cheap is your local
Goodwill or Salvation Army store.. if you take your accordion and "test" them
out with a song i bet you'd have a lot of fun !

many of us, particularly the Organ-Accordionists back in the day,
would buy a Drum throne, as they can be very nicely padded,
some have backs, many have a Hydraulic lift like an office chair
but it goes a bit higher usually and of course they fold up
and are made to be convenient for a gigging musician.. the
4 leg scissors are more stable for an accordionist, most
have a 3 leg scissors design

you will also find the common round Chrome type stools
with various LOGO designs in the guitar department.. they are
lightweight but a bit bulky and may be too high for some people..
auto parts stores carry these too, but with a Pennzoil logo

actually a great place for grabbing a decent bar-stool cheap is your local
Goodwill or Salvation Army store.. if you take your accordion and "test" them
out with a song i bet you'd have a lot of fun !
I'm going to look for that. Dragging a regular stool around to gigs is probably not realistic. But it did occur to me to bring my accordion to check out stools!

I'm going to look for that. Dragging a regular stool around to gigs is probably not realistic. But it did occur to me to bring my accordion to check out stools!
I've seen many accordionist in Italy playing their accordions / cordovox type instruments fixed to a stand..they just stand behind it and play ...never tried it myself .I think it would take some getting used to !!! And also a big metal type frame to carry and transport.
when I played my synthaccordion / Elka 83 I played sitting down they were rather on the heavy side and gigs lasting approx 3 hours all too much for me . About ten years ago I changed to a lighter acoustic accordion with wireless midi and a custom built Yamaha psr3000 module ....I also now only play for about an hour , I must be getting old !!! Ha ha standing up on my little gigs and can walk about ., for me it is a much better method of presentation to an audience (in my personal opinion) .I also practice my music standing up never sitting down. ...... Whatever you do, enjoy making your music and entertaining your audiences........Keep music live. 🤗

I've seen many accordionist in Italy playing their accordions / cordovox type instruments fixed to a stand..they just stand behind it and play ...never tried it myself .I think it would take some getting used to !!! And also a big metal type frame to carry and transport.
when I played my synthaccordion / Elka 83 I played sitting down they were rather on the heavy side and gigs lasting approx 3 hours all too much for me . About ten years ago I changed to a lighter acoustic accordion with wireless midi and a custom built Yamaha psr3000 module ....I also now only play for about an hour , I must be getting old !!! Ha ha standing up on my little gigs and can walk about ., for me it is a much better method of presentation to an audience (in my personal opinion) .I also practice my music standing up never sitting down. ...... Whatever you do, enjoy making your music and entertaining your audiences........Keep music live. 🤗
I agree, it's a much better presentation. I'm going to work on practicing while standing from now on. In the meantime I just found a tall stool intended for guitarists which works fine for me which I can use for this gig.

But this week I'm supposed to be playing with an Irish music band, and many of the musicians (though not all) play standing up
If not all of the musicians play standing up, I am curious as to why you with the large accordion feel compelled to stand. I play in an Irish session band, and everyone wants to sit (we play three-hour gigs). I was fortunate to attend a few Silly Wizard concerts back in the day, and Phil with his large piano accordion always played sitting down, only the guitar players and singer would stand. On the other hand, in polka bands, a standing accordionist seems to be the norm. I suppose using a tall stool is somewhere in between, so maybe a good compromise.

Back