• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Roland fr8x speaker options

Hi, would like to get some advice from anyone that owns a Roland fr8x and plays it with speakers. I am looking at buying a speaker or speakers to amplify the sound when I have parties and small functions. If anyone has any good recommendations happy to look at those . I was originally thinking of buying the Bose S1 but unsure on the quality of the sound it would provide. Thanks
Hi,
I currently use a Yamaha Stagepas 1k Line array PA. The equalizer is a different design. Each channel has an equalizer knob. The array has 10 1.5" speakers and the bass is a 12" ported bass. Strangely, the 1000w is divided into approximately 200w for the treble and 800w for the bass. The line array uses a wave guide which gives 170 degrees horizontal coverage and 30 degrees vertical. The weight of the base unit and the line array speakers + two vertical extensions is about 50 pounds. One cover takes covers everything along with a pocket to put sheet music or line cord, etc. I would say the unit is adequate for small to medium sized venues. AN app can be downloaded that uses blue tooth and can be used to remotely adjust volume, tone, etc. which I have found to be useful.
I bought this one when because I wasn't getting the sound I wanted from my Roland stage Amp after hearing another accordion player using a line array pa amp with a Bugari Evo. I'm sure it's not for everybody but it works for me for the sound I want, handles the Roland well as well as my Shure Mic, and like you I love bass and it delivers good quality bass.

If you are looking for a stereo amp, this isn't it. It can be connected to a 2nd Stagepas, as many of these things can be connected to a second unit.

Good luck with your search.

Jim

Hi,
I currently use a Yamaha Stagepas 1k Line array PA. The equalizer is a different design. Each channel has an equalizer knob. The array has 10 1.5" speakers and the bass is a 12" ported bass. Strangely, the 1000w is divided into approximately 200w for the treble and 800w for the bass. The line array uses a wave guide which gives 170 degrees horizontal coverage and 30 degrees vertical. The weight of the base unit and the line array speakers + two vertical extensions is about 50 pounds. One cover takes covers everything along with a pocket to put sheet music or line cord, etc. I would say the unit is adequate for small to medium sized venues. AN app can be downloaded that uses blue tooth and can be used to remotely adjust volume, tone, etc. which I have found to be useful.
I bought this one when because I wasn't getting the sound I wanted from my Roland stage Amp after hearing another accordion player using a line array pa amp with a Bugari Evo. I'm sure it's not for everybody but it works for me for the sound I want, handles the Roland well as well as my Shure Mic, and like you I love bass and it delivers good quality bass.

If you are looking for a stereo amp, this isn't it. It can be connected to a 2nd Stagepas, as many of these things can be connected to a second unit.

Good luck with your search.

Jim
The division in the amplifier power may be related to its "class". I found this video a good explanation, but I haven't learned it by heart.
(The mentioning of brand Boss and model Katana stem from the bass amp I have just ordered.)

Thank you all for your input I ended up purchasing the YAMAHA STAGEPAS600BT PORTABLE PA SYSTEM with mixer and sounds great so far . Still needs some fine tuning but happy with the purchase so far

Thank you all for your input I ended up purchasing the YAMAHA STAGEPAS600BT PORTABLE PA SYSTEM with mixer and sounds great so far . Still needs some fine tuning but happy with the purchase so far
Congrats.
Let us know how this works out for you. I am interested in something that is battery powered, even if it carries less punch. For my piano accordion and for the FR-1 I need an equalizer, the Roland Cube that I have does not give enough control over the frequencies to make it sound even half decent.
A good mixer is what you need to start with. But stay away from digital mixers and go with the simple analog type. I purchased these and they give a warm tone as an accordion should sound. Then as far as powered speakers, if you have like a Bose L1, set the EQ preset to off…use the Mixer EQ only in the routing…no need for notebook 12fx, but always good to have extra inputs…I was so satisfied with these, that a purchased a second one to use at home, other for gigging…

Shown here is my accordion setting on channel 1…but may be different depending on powered speakers. Always a good rule is to use EQ to a minimal…but there is no right/wrong way, your ears will make the final judgement…
Hi Larry,
What are the options for powering this mixer?
I found no mention of the power input on the specs. Very strange.
Simon

Congrats.
Let us know how this works out for you. I am interested in something that is battery powered, even if it carries less punch. For my piano accordion and for the FR-1 I need an equalizer, the Roland Cube that I have does not give enough control over the frequencies to make it sound even half decent.

Hi Larry,
What are the options for powering this mixer?
I found no mention of the power input on the specs. Very strange.
Simon
I immediately bought a second one after trying the first…amazing mixer…I use it Live in outdoor and indoor events…it has a power supply you plug in…but no matter, blown away at the sound…

Back