• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Scandalli Model

You should think yourself lucky you're got that generation of Scandalli.
Here's the switches on my 1950s (slightly lower quality) LMMH:

04a.jpg

Note duplicate 'master' on both ends.
The dots are L, M-, M, H from bottom to top on each switch. The modern buttons are much easier to read.
But I think it's got all the useful combinations.

Tru
You should think yourself lucky you're got that generation of Scandalli.
Here's the switches on my 1950s (slightly lower quality) LMMH:

04a.jpg

Note duplicate 'master' on both ends.
The dots are L, M-, M, H from bottom to top on each switch. The modern buttons are much easier to read.
But I think it's got all the useful combinations.
True that's less easier to read but I think the aesthetic is cool. I like the way they are arranged in an arc too. I assume your violin is 4th one from the left although looks like you have a higher version in the middle too? You have a lot of nice combinations, wish mine had some of those. Other than trying to make them easier to switch I'm not sure on the duplicate logic.

MH is a thing, I don't use it much.

Oops, sorry posted wrong image - that one's off the web.
Mine actually has 13 switches - 2 duplicates at each end so easier to reach. But I don't have a close up.

2 grille.1.jpg
left of middle: LMM
middle: LMMH = master
right of middle: MM = violin
right right of middle: MMH
The only 'interesting' combination missing is LM+ = 'Sax', but how interesting is debatable.

Thats the whole thing... to get musette on 3 reeds you cannot have LMH, you have to have LMM and the 2 MM reeds are tuned apart to generate a tremelo (that musette sound). If yours is tuned LMH as the master register indicates, its a straight tuned. Now, again I don't have your accordion in front of me, but I am looking at a closeup of your registers... and on that topic, often companies put stuff there that isn't strictly correct. :)

Thats the whole thing... to get musette on 3 reeds you cannot have LMH, you have to have LMM and the 2 MM reeds are tuned apart to generate a tremelo (that musette sound). If yours is tuned LMH as the master register indicates, its a straight tuned. Now, again I don't have your accordion in front of me, but I am looking at a closeup of your registers... and on that topic, often companies put stuff there that isn't strictly correct. :)
Would be strange they put MMH incorrectly but maybe, it sounds like it has a tremolo effect but I'll have to have another listen. But strange it doesn't have MM also.

Well based on this post further up and what I've tried, my master is a palm switch so can only guess what the symbol would be. Often they seem to colour the master switch different too from what I've seen e.g. white instead of black. Seems to be a more full sound with the palm compared to the middle switch but will have another close listen again.

I will likely need to get it repaired so I will ask the question for when they open it up.

Would be strange they put MMH incorrectly
Other makers (eg, Sonola) in the day treated MMH as a pseudo "musette". I have one such myself.
AFAIK, the designation "viollin" was applied to MM.
Saxophone was LM+. Although some don't care for it, I myself quite like it!😄

Other makers (eg, Sonola) in the day treated MMH as a pseudo "musette". I have one such myself.
AFAIK, the designation "viollin" was applied to MM.
Saxophone was LM+. Although some don't care for it, I myself quite like it!😄
I mean it would be strange for them to put MMH if it was a 3 Reed LMH accordion. Wikipedia calls it an imitation musette. I'll have to look up a proper musette and saxophone as I'm interested to see what they are now.

Well based on this post further up and what I've tried, my master is a palm switch so can only guess what the symbol would be. Often they seem to colour the master switch different too from what I've seen e.g. white instead of black. Seems to be a more full sound with the palm compared to the middle switch but will have another close listen again.
Based on your picture, its an LMH:
Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 4.03.21 PM.png
I don't know what more to tell you. :)

Based on your picture, its an LMH:
Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 4.03.21 PM.png
I don't know what more to tell you. :)
So you think the palm switch is the same as that switch? Basically a 3 reed version of the one you shared. What do you think they've done for the MMH? Maybe just MH? It would make sense as to why they haven't included MM which seems pretty obvious and common and only 1 supposed MM switch.

Last edited:
I tried playing my 72 bass LMM and it does sound more wet on MM. I do wonder if they put MMH because it almost sounds abit like tremolo even if it isn't wet tuned (maybe it is?). I'm a bit gutted as I like the wet tuning of MM sound as it's one of the main sounds which attracted me to the intrument (e.g. Yann Tiersen) but that was an oversight on my side as a newbie. 4 reeds would have been ideal to get best of both worlds I assume.

I guess you learn the hard way sometimes when you don't know what you are doing, I've learned plenty through the process anyway and maybe it will grow on me more.

Back