• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Songs/Pieces that transition half way through from ( Doh ) major to ( Doh ) minor and vice versa

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
Breezy Bellows’ 5 waltz medley on “I did that” caused me to think of such songs/pieces which with Stradella bass must make them easier to learn to play and add to our repertoire.

I thought it might be useful to make a list.

I can think of several, starting with Torna a Surriento as played by Breezy.

Adding Y Viva Espana and I love Paris makes 3.

There are surely dozens more?

Stradella bass, even the accordion itself is made to make things easier. I think if you want more complicated than that, you better play Harpsichord or organ for example. Something possible to manufacture doesnt means thats convenient.

From above - "Stradella bass, .................. is made to make things easier"

That's my point. It is easier to jump between major and minor as the "jumps" are on the horizontal row of bass buttons rather than the vertical row.

From above - "Stradella bass, .................. is made to make things easier"

That's my point. It is easier to jump between major and minor as the "jumps" are on the horizontal row of bass buttons rather than the vertical row.
I see now. You thought from the diatonic accordion point?? I thought from stradella bass point relative to freebass. You say its harder to jump on diatonics... Even if you cant play some of the chords in a diatonic melodeon, there are ways. You skip the chord and play only the bass notes if available. If not, many players skip all these chords and basses (dont play at all temporarily or play some note nearly suitable) or approach the song in different ways. You may have to jump a lot on diatonics but you dont have to manage 60 basses for example. 8 bass with different push-pull will be easier although you jump. 3,4,5 up-down jumps are not rare in stradella bass system.

Stradella bass, even the accordion itself is made to make things easier. I think if you want more complicated than that, you better play Harpsichord or organ for example. Something possible to manufacture doesnt means thats convenient.
I didn't know why you keep saying this. It's perfectly possible to play songs that modulate to a different key. Stradella bass is a very capable system. Only limitation is the lack of freedom wrt voicing of chords.

I didn't know why you keep saying this. It's perfectly possible to play songs that modulate to a different key. Stradella bass is a very capable system. Only limitation is the lack of freedom wrt voicing of chords.
You came to me this time LOL I was trying to avoid you... Maybe I know some things from here and there in 32 years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You came to me this time LOL I was trying to avoid you... Maybe I know some things from here and there in 32 years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You are free to choose the type of music you want to play. In this post, someone simply wanted to know about examples of songs that modulate from a major key to a minor key of the same note. Instead of providing helpful examples or contributing positively, you chose to leave a discouraging and incorrect comment about the limitations of the Stradella bass system.

There's no need to be defensive about playing simpler music on the accordion—it's a valid choice. However, your experience of 32 years does not make you infallible, especially when it comes to aspects you haven't fully explored. Please consider sharing constructive input or allowing others to contribute without negativity.

You are free to choose the type of music you want to play. In this post, someone simply wanted to know about examples of songs that modulate from a major key to a minor key of the same note. Instead of providing helpful examples or contributing positively, you chose to leave a discouraging and incorrect comment about the limitations of the Stradella bass system.

There's no need to be defensive about playing simpler music on the accordion—it's a valid choice. However, your experience of 32 years does not make you infallible, especially when it comes to aspects you haven't fully explored. Please consider sharing constructive input or allowing others to contribute without negativity.
Some people may not like some other people. Thats OK and natural. Have a nice day...

Breezy Bellows’ 5 waltz medley on “I did that” caused me to think of such songs/pieces which with Stradella bass must make them easier to learn to play and add to our repertoire.

Does it have to be major and minor of the same note? I've played other songs that modulate to a different minor.

I got one for you. Rasputin by Boney M.

Does it have to be major and minor of the same note? I've played other songs that modulate to a different minor.
Yes, so Torna a Surriento which you included in your medley goes from E minor to E major and back again, hence my comment regarding the bass button change moving only one position on the horizontal row which is very easy.

Yes, so Torna a Surriento which you included in your medley goes from E minor to E major and back again, hence my comment regarding the bass button change moving only one position on the horizontal row which is very easy.
Ok. My teacher recently gave me a song called fiesta de Brasil. It has C Major and C minor on the same measure.

I thought about this a little more and realized that several songs I play have these chord changes that play the major and minor chords of the same note back to back. Not all of these are key modulations though.

In fact 4 of the 5 waltzes I played in that video have such transitions.

French Card has 2 bars of F major followed by two bars of F minor.
La Partida has a Am followed by a A7
You already mentioned 5 now waltz and Sorrento.
The 5 note waltz has a Bb major followed by a Bb minor.
Sorrento goes from E major to E minor and back to E major (this is a key modulation).

1) Chim Chim che-ree - F major followed by F minor.

2) Once upon a December. (Am and A7)

3) Godfather waltz (Dm D7)
4) Sous le ciel de Paris (Fm and F major. Then Bb major and Bb minor)

5) Indifference (Em and E7)

6) Ghostbusters theme (D major and D minor)

7) My favorite things (E minor and E major. A minor, A major and back to A minor)
https://youtu.be/PCdoO4BEvXk
8) Autumn leaves (E minor followed by a E7)
https://youtu.be/Rl-bAf9JjeY
9) Libertango (D7 and D minor)
https://youtu.be/zOJn9Lm3RnI

Maybe this isn't that uncommon.

• Romance Anonym
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps
In addition to the already-mentioned I Love Paris, Cole Porter also used the trick on Too Darn Hot, and maybe some others. He loved messing around with major/minor tonalities in general, although it wasn't always parallel minors/majors.

Norwegian Wood shifts to minor, but it's just for one chord in the bridge. I guess that's more like modal interchange than a full-blown key change.

• Romance Anonym
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps
In addition to the already-mentioned I Love Paris, Cole Porter also used the trick on Too Darn Hot, and maybe some others. He loved messing around with major/minor tonalities in general, although it wasn't always parallel minors/majors.

Norwegian Wood shifts to minor, but it's just for one chord in the bridge. I guess that's more like modal interchange than a full-blown key change.
Hi Jeff,
With reference to your comment regarding Cole Porter the song Let's face the music and dance ( Irving Berlin ) even does this "trick" within a theme
However, I was thinking more of full blown key changes , another one for example being Les Bicyclettes del Belsize, made famous by Engelbert Humperdinck.

The myth is that Africans came (not so willingly) to America and created a whole genre of music based on this recurrence of “flatting of the third.” They had the blues for sure.

Back