• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Standing/playing on one leg?

Mike t.

Reaction score
I saw a player standing with his left foot on a stool to support the weight and maybe comfort of playing? I was wondering do many players preform this way? I was taught, why stand when you can sit. Then I thought, why sit when you can lay down? (Doesn’t help playing accordion, but feels good!) I feel standing has more showmanship, but doesn’t improve my playing. So, I’m an old fat guy sitting in a chair when we have to play out for an hour, but if it’s only a couple songs I stand. I play a 120 P.A. that’s heavy. I think sitting on a taller folding bar stool type chair looks better than a regular chair, but one more thing to pack along, as would a foot stool. Just wondering.

By preference I perform on a bar stool, but as you say it's one more thing to pack. But I do take it for longer performances.

When I play double bass I have a small child's stool to put my foot on - it's not much but makes all the difference in stopping sciatica from flaring up.

Left leg has some importance on posture, for bellows and bass buttons control, the weight balance of accordion on you. It makes better control on left leg up if you hold the accordion properly (especially 72 bass and up). There are arguments on how to hold accordion properly but the general idea is to make fixed the left knee to bellows. Bar stool is kind of dangerous for newer accordion players I have experienced myself. You may lose the balance easily and fall down with heavy accordions.

Last edited:
When I play melodeon I like to rest the bellows on my left knee; it stops the keyboard from tilting upwards due to the single shoulder strap, and prevents the entire instrument from moving around too much. If I'm playing sitting down then it's obviously fine, but when I'm playing standing I sometimes put my left foot up on the case so I can rest the box on my knee comfortably. If I don't have the case with me I will either play without any support, or stand on one leg, whichever works best for the situation!

When I play melodeon I like to rest the bellows on my left knee; it stops the keyboard from tilting upwards due to the single shoulder strap, and prevents the entire instrument from moving around too much. If I'm playing sitting down then it's obviously fine, but when I'm playing standing I sometimes put my left foot up on the case so I can rest the box on my knee comfortably. If I don't have the case with me I will either play without any support, or stand on one leg, whichever works best for the situation!
You are the same guy with the YouTube channel. Your last Jan mijne man was great. Keep going (y)(y)

Resting one's foot on an elevated surface while standing for prolonged periods is hardly accordion specific. In my sordid youth (which segued into a disreputable middle age followed by the current decrepit geezerhood) the solid comfort of a foot rail for use while standing or perched on a stool at the counter of my beverage establishment of choice as I quaffed a few cold ones has been an enduring solace.

Works when working the squeezebox as well.

I saw a player standing with his left foot on a stool to support the weight and maybe comfort of playing? I was wondering do many players preform this way? I was taught, why stand when you can sit. Then I thought, why sit when you can lay down? (Doesn’t help playing accordion, but feels good!) I feel standing has more showmanship, but doesn’t improve my playing. So, I’m an old fat guy sitting in a chair when we have to play out for an hour, but if it’s only a couple songs I stand. I play a 120 P.A. that’s heavy. I think sitting on a taller folding bar stool type chair looks better than a regular chair, but one more thing to pack along, as would a foot stool. Just wondering.
hey Mike,

i have touched on this before, and it partially depends on the context

professionally speaking, every seat. chair. stool in an establishment is
needed to support the patrons and make a profit.. every time a Musician
"borrows" a chair they are hurting the bottom line of their employer,
so as a professional, you take your own chair to the gigs..

(and your own extension cord)

if you are playing for free or beers, well then, consider the seating
part of your compensation in kind

now Stools can be dangerous.. not all stools have a good center
of gravity or strong legs or a good solid footprint to support you
AND the accordion.. nor does every stool have a footrest in the right spot..

i agree, a stool is the best compromise, as it keeps you elevated like you
are standing, but saves your back and legs.. a good Stool is almost as
important a tool as your instrument.. therefore, find a stool that
really suits and supports you, buy it, and take it with you and sit
and play with confidence and support

my 2 cents

therefore, find a stool that
really suits and supports you, buy it, and take it with you and sit
and play with confidence and support

Here's what I use. The "K&M 14050 Multi Purpose Stool" with optional back rest. Bought to play double bass in an orchestra. It has about six adjustments on it. The downsides are it's flippin' heavy, coming in around 20 lbs, and the price has shot up since I bought it pre-covid / pre-brexit.

Attachments

• 16886841_800.jpg
    16886841_800.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you- I may spring for one. It will probably serve better thant the slouch inducing picnic bench I use in the front at the present. A recommendation from an accordionist/musician who actually uses it is worth a lot to me. The steamer trunk models I frequently play just beat me up too much when I stand for more than an hour and even the tenor/baritone saxes are starting to wear on me.

Good thing is that it’s seen as pretty ok to take a short break after an hour. Still need a place to sit and rest during break, so bringing a light chair can be good. Using a 37/96 or “ladies size” helps. If I were to play the Lira I would bring a chair for playing though.

My own "play for myself in front of the house or in the front window depending ont the time of year" profile doesn't require near as much portability as is required by someone performing in public. Even given the adrenaline rush which always comes upon me when speaking to audiences I simply do not play music for audiences myself) I'd surely need a break after standing and playing an hour with an accordion of pretty much any size.

That's supposing there exists an audience which would refrain from tossing vegetables for that long were I to play- a specific putative issue in my case.

My own "play for myself in front of the house or in the front window depending ont the time of year" profile doesn't require near as much portability as is required by someone performing in public. Even given the adrenaline rush which always comes upon me when speaking to audiences I simply do not play music for audiences myself) I'd surely need a break after standing and playing an hour with an accordion of pretty much any size.

That's supposing there exists an audience which would refrain from tossing vegetables for that long were I to play- a specific putative issue in my case.
I’m sure you would do just fine! Weird thing I find is that some people just love the “give cash to the musician” without even listening to the music. Which is good I guess. I always donate to any busker I see, as long as they are “real”, that is, actually playing music. In Green Bay the other day it was an electric violin outside Barnes and Noble. Gone when I came out. Chased off? Hard to say.

Originally from Manhattan (NY, not Kansas) I have surely run into the full range of buskers from the truly gifted players to the tattered addict with a decrepit toy trumpet. I'm pretty much a soft touch for them all- with no regrets about being so.

Reactions: Tom
Originally from Manhattan (NY, not Kansas) I have surely run into the full range of buskers from the truly gifted players to the tattered addict with a decrepit toy trumpet. I'm pretty much a soft touch for them all- with no regrets about being so.
Yeah, the old saying “He who needs money/love most deserves it least.”

Back