• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

The Borsini Accordion Factory is resurrected?

Jaras

Reaction score
IMG_0298.jpeg
There are very new Borsini accordions on the Chinese accordion market, why is this happening? Are there new Borsini accordions in other countries as well?

They are appearing here and there in Europe, also. Very nice too, it seems. This dealer in the Netherlands writes they are being made by Mengascini, who is issuing certain models under the Borsini marque. This recent "Borsini Shanty" model was a special super-wet MMM tremolo specifically for "For the Wide Musette Lover!" A 34/72 like the example in the original post on this thread. Note the reference to Mengascini in the description at both the Reverb and Youtube links.

Last edited:
A Borsini on the Chinese market is something I would not trust. I heard that some people have registered several accordion brand names in China (Pigini, Borsini, Victoria...) and as a result they can sell rubbish with these names legally in China (and the real factories might even get in trouble using their name in China). No such problem in North Korea as there they don't care about registration of names and just produce fakes of all the good Italian brands.
That said, it is quite possible that some Italian accordion maker has acquired the right to use the Borsini name in Europe. That does not imply in any way that the design and production process of the accordions they sell as Borsini is in any way related to the old Borsini design and factory. So why anyone would prefer an accordion made by Mengascini that has a Borsini label instead of a Mengascini label is something I do not understand. If they then feel they own a Borsini, power to them. Dream on... But at least Mengascini will likely not be selling them a Chinese accordion. The one in the picture I would not trust at all: anything you find on the Chinese market you cannot trust to be an Italian accordion (unless you get a nice proof of the manufacturer and purchase from Italy.

Well, the phenomenon of Italian makers issuing boxes under defunct Italian marques that retain positive associations in the accordion world isn't unknown. Nothing really wrong with it so long as there's a way to confirm the instrument is wholly Italian-made by a credible maker. Pigini is producing Excelsior models alongside its own product. And there is the PASCO concern issuing well-made Italian accordions under the Paolo Soprani and Moreschi marques. The trick with the PASCO stuff was that one Paolo Soprani line was only assembled or checked over in Italy. I think it was called "Studio" or "Junior." Same with Moreschi under PASCO, there was a cheaper line that was essentially made in Asia. But they also issued Italian lines of each marque.

Haven't seen any new Moreschis in quite a while, but new Italian made Paolo Sopranis are still being produced---the "Professionale" line and the "Super Paolo" line of cassotto instruments. Who knows who they're contracting to make the Italian-made ones, but they are nice. You want to be sure to verify what you are getting, but they are perfectly fine Italian accordions. Stocked at "Castelfidardo Musica," and viewable in stock at that website. Some UK dealers order Italian Paolo Sopranis in for the folk market, and I see that Acccordionology in the U.S. has them available to order.

I'd love to see Mengascini or whoever resurrect the Borsini Vagabond---An elegant model very similar to the 34/72 "Shanty" and the model in the original post, but in a 30/72 configuration. The inch-and-a-half-ish less from "lap to chin" is very comfortable in a folk box, and 30 treble is ample for that niche. The Scottish PA wizard Phil Cunningham famously had one. Come to think of it the PASCO Paolo Soprani "Professionale" line also includes a 30/72--that is what some UK dealers seem to order in, sometimes with TAM upgrade from the stock Super Durall. The "Super Paolo" line has cassotto and TAM or a mano.

What you said makes a lot of sense! There are many accordion brands in China, and various brands can be regarded as Italian imported accordions. The most popular product is Polverini1889. This brand seems to be sold well only in China, and it is also called Italian imported.

Back