• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Upgrading from beginner instrument?

Lizpea

Reaction score
Hi! (Apologies in advance as I imagine this is a common question - I'm new on the forum, and cannot find a thread that addresses this).

I started playing accordion when I inherited an instrument back in January. Luckily, this little Morelli is in mostly great condition! I work with a great teacher here in the Driftless, and have made a lot of progress. This instrument has a limited set of registers (two options on bass side, three on the treble). I'm learning a lot and have made a lot of progress through the Galla-Rini and Palmer Hughes books, and have moved on to solo and accordion-club transcriptions that are stretching my skills. As a pianist/multi-instrumentalist, I have some advantages but of course it's a very different animal!

The instrument I have is lovely, and I surely have a lot more to learn skills-wise that I can practice on this accordion...I'm totally hooked. However, I'm casually starting to look at "upgrading" to an accordion with more register/timbral options - right now I'm at the "save money!" stage but I'd love recommendations.

My teacher is also the regional repairperson and has an eye out if anything comes by - in this very German-ish settled area of WI/MN, there are lots of used accordions around, but most have been beaten to death by age and disuse. It's overwhelming looking at places like reverb.com for secondhand instruments as well - so many brands that no longer exist and it's tough to find information - also, I would never purchase something without playing it or having a more experienced player "vet" it.

744333CF-6F20-4713-B521-5F23DE8BA08B_1_201_a.jpeg

It is such a personal choice. I have no specific recommendations, only to suggest that an upgrade would be anything you like better than your current instrument. Maybe you should go to some accordion stores and play several instruments to get an idea what you might like. I think there are at least two in the twin cities area.

I will say, be careful what you think you want. My upgrade from a beginner instrument, long ago, was a full size and featured Giulietti. A beautiful instrument, but as I play mostly folk music, I soon realized that such a large accordion was overkill, and I felt ridiculous bringing it to folk events. I have long since "downgraded" to smaller but high-quality accordions.

Last edited:
I will say, be careful what you think you want. My upgrade from a beginner instrument, long ago, was a full size and featured Giulietti. A beautiful instrument, but as I play mostly folk music, I soon realized that such a large accordion was overkill, and I felt ridiculous bringing it to folk events. I have long since "downgraded" to smaller but high-quality accordions.

I did similar - went from a 12-bass to 72-bass, which was too big for folk. I still have the 72, but play a 48 more often.

I started with 72 bass, went from there to 120 bass, then bought a quality 120 bass.  I have had thoughts about getting a small instrument to at least spend some time with and experiment with for more folk/barn dance tunes, but wouldn't want to be without something at bare minimum 72 bass, and preferably at least 96 bass.  Classical and stuff from musicals is in the type of music I like, so I actively use much of the bass redundancy.  One piece I arranged for myself is in F minor and Ab major, for example.

I started with 72 bass, went from there to 120 bass, then bought a quality 120 bass.  I have had thoughts about getting a small instrument to at least spend some time with and experiment with for more folk/barn dance tunes, but wouldn't want to be without something at bare minimum 72 bass, and preferably at least 96 bass.  Classical and stuff from musicals is in the type of music I like, so I actively use much of the bass redundancy.  One piece I arranged for myself is in F minor and Ab major, for example.

Repertoire is everything - for my folk music I'm only playing in G and D and their relative minors. I don't need dim or aug chords. So while a 12-bass isn't quite enough as it typically lacks a Em button, I don't need much more.

When playing in my friend's rock band, there's a lot of guitar music in A, and some songs in D that suit the lead vocalist - so I need my 72. But then there's a drummer and bass guitarist so I don't have to be quite as energetic.

I soon realized that such a large accordion was overkill, and I felt ridiculous bringing it to folk events. I
It reminds me of a story I heard from a sewing machine salesperson .
For many years she'd managed her sewing hobby with a tiny Elna Lotus sewing machine which was made by a Swiss manufacturer (25 year warranty!) and had "only" about half a dozen basic stitches available to use.
Although she produced numerous works. she always longed for something upmarket.
So, when she came into some disposable cash, she splurged it on something with all of the fancy bells and whistles.
She got a good trade in on her Elna.
Unfortunately, when she came to use her new acquisition (like in the case of some of our Roland owning members), the user handbook was so extensive, with so many options, she couldn't get her head around it, remember the details or utilise the multitude of options usefully.
Worse still, the whole shebang was so impracticably heavy for her to carry around , it tended to remain unused,
How she missed her practical, so useful, so simple and manageable little Elna!
So often, less is more! 🙂

Last edited:
Please say hi to Ron for me! Please be sure that timbre and tone come from the quality and tuning of the reeds, not the number. If cash is not a problem, head up to Accordion Heaven and try a small Planet and whatever else is around. At least you’ll be able to try a few options. As other people mention, your goals are what is important and should inform your choice. Good luck!

I agree with SteveBox recommendation - only buy an instrument you like better than your current one, and do try to go and play instruments to see what you like! Often it's not the instrument, it's who's playing it, and since you're an multi-instrumentalist, I'm sure you're bringing a lot to the table. I had not played in over 50 years, and bought an accordion from a neighbor of my mother's who did not particularly like that accordion, and did not play it much. He had his main instrument (he had like 5 accordions, now 4) which cost him thousands of dollars. On day one, my mom already said that she thought I sounded better than him! And I don't think it was just a mother's love! :D

Hi all! Thank you for your thoughts so far. Tomorrow I'll be visiting Accordion Heaven (twin cities' Mahler Music) and trying out a few new-to-me rigs.

I'm "upgrading" for a few reasons. My student instrument is a bit leaky and needs repair (also getting that looked at); I think a slightly larger keyboard scale is better for my hands, having played a few sizes now; and I want at least a 3rd reed option. I'm into cabaret, tango, and "classical" accordion so having the 120 bass is important to me - I've found I use the entire bass board in the rep I've been choosing.

I tried a gorgeous 3 reed Titano (the prettiest clarinet reed and played like a dream) a few weeks ago up at Ken's store, and if I can't find one I like even more, that'll be what comes home with me tomorrow. It's an investment in myself, money to a great local music company, and I'm excited!

It reminds me of a story I heard from a sewing machine salesperson .
For many years she'd managed her sewing hobby with a tiny Elna Lotus sewing machine which was made by a Swiss manufacturer (25 year warranty!) and had "only" about half a dozen basic stitches available to use.
Although she produced numerous works. she always longed for something upmarket.
So, when she came into some disposable cash, she splurged it on something with all of the fancy bells and whistles.
She got a good trade in on her Elna.
Unfortunately, when she came to use her new acquisition (like in the case of some of our Roland owning members), the user handbook was so extensive, with so many options, she couldn't get her head around it, remember the details or utilise the multitude of options usefully.
Worse still, the whole shebang was so impracticably heavy for her to carry around , it tended to remain unused,
How she missed her practical, so useful, so simple and manageable little Elna!
So often, less is more! 🙂
Definitely. Something that has given me confidence with the accordion store I'm working with - Ken seems very keen on making sure folks leave with the lightest, simplest instrument that's right for them. Definitely not an up-seller. Highly recommend checking out Mahler Music/AccordionHeaven if you can!

Please say hi to Ron for me! Please be sure that timbre and tone come from the quality and tuning of the reeds, not the number. If cash is not a problem, head up to Accordion Heaven and try a small Planet and whatever else is around. At least you’ll be able to try a few options. As other people mention, your goals are what is important and should inform your choice. Good luck!
I'm headed back there tomorrow! and I will say hello to Ron - just had my lesson an hour ago : )

• Love It!
Reactions: Tom
So, what exactly will an "upgrade" get you other than an expensive ping in the cash
register?🤔
More noises I can make, a less leaky instrument at this point, and potentially a keyboard width and response that works better for my hands. Gear Acquisition Syndrome is real, but I am trying to be as practical as I can while following my joyyyyy

I'm casually starting to look at "upgrading" to an accordion with more register/timbral options
What are your limitations in terms of size and application? I have a couple of "in perfect playing condition on the inside" accordions available at the right price... free, if you show up in the driveway.

The two most likely to work for you are a Crown (3/5, 41 key LMH double cassotto, 17 3/4 inch, 120 bass, five with palm master RH, 3 LH, 24 pounds) or a Scandalli Polyphonico Brevetto (4/5, 41/120, LMMH, switchable mute, 9 RH switches, 2 LH, 23 pounds).

Both play very well- all 246/328 RH and 120 LH both draw and push. Valves are very good. Tuning quite acceptable. Bellows serviceable, touched up exterior dings on both cases but surely look ppresentable- perfect from a couple of feet away. As it happens I'm blind as a bat these days but my possibly inept assessment on appearance is backed up by third parties... and my hearing's fine.

The Crown is really nicely finished in the interior- varnished mahogany- simply mechanically beautiful. But I generally play with the case closed and imagine you do too. For a manageably sized instrument its's surprisingly heavy, and the double cassotto means that it's relatively smooth/dark sounding. Great for smooth melody, not so hot for Irish folk tunes- something of a niche instrument in that aspect. It had been miked but I pulled all the wiring and old mikes/jacks. It is Italian made- imported to Chicago, dates to the fifties; it was/is clearly a high end model. Wax and valves very good.

The Scandalli is a good all around LMMH -full sized but surprisingly light for same. The cup mutes on the grill work smoothly and quite well. Mellow when closed and satisfyingly bright when open- probably why it's such a long lived design. Insides copacetic.

I figure I'm about 70 minutes away- just south of Saint Paul. PM if interested.

If you're concerned that I'm a lunatic with some wierd scam, I'm not. There are at least two forum members who can testify that "come to driveway, collect perfectly decent instrument, vanish in a cloud of dust" sums up the situation. They probably will decline an assessment of the "lunatic" aspect.

I am simply awash in instruments and l like to place them in the hands of someone who can get good enjoyment and use out of them.

Henry

Sorry for any typos, I really can't proof off the screen to save my life.

Attachments

• Crown.jpg
    Crown.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Scandalli.jpg
    Scandalli.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Henry is not a lunatic. I have a beautiful Lira Centra Matic from his driveway. Henry is a kind soul and knows what he’s doing about accordion restoration. If I didn’t need more accordions like a hole in the head, I’d be up there checking out that Scandalli!

IMG_5244.jpeg

This is an interesting post, and I am currently in the same boat and looking at an upgrade, albeit to a slightly different instrument. I'm playing balkan and classical, and currently have a Hohner organola, 120 bass with double octave, but tired with messy key mechanics. Its a great instrument but now that I'm sure I want to invest a lot of time into the accordion I would like something nicer.

I've narrowed my search down to a few makers, and for me keyboard mechanics and the feel of the instrument is very important. I would like something with cassotto, and if possible a free bass converter. But wouldn't we all! I'm on a budget so I'm not sure where to go. I'm planning on heading up to Accordion Lounge in Shropshire UK to try a few Bugari and Giustozzi models which should be fun. I'm also considering heading over to Prague to take a look at the new offerings from Delicia (and have a few beers of course, but I'm going for musical research, honest)

I'm not sure if free-bass should just wait, and I should get a mid level Bugari (I think it would be used at my price range) so I can really focus on the right hand and keep playing at an intermediate level with a good quality instrument. Any input from experienced players would be appreciated, although I'm developing an understanding of what I want to play I haven't had an opportunity to play many instruments in this price range, and I've found some trouble finding dealers stocking what I'm looking for

Last edited:
Henry is not a lunatic. I have a beautiful Lira Centra Matic from his driveway. Henry is a kind soul and knows what he’s doing about accordion restoration. If I didn’t need more accordions like a hole in the head, I’d be up there checking out that Scandalli!

IMG_5244.jpeg
Ditto on the Scandelli, but I sadly live in New York City!!

Reactions: Tom
Back