• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Upgrading from beginner instrument?

This is an interesting post, and I am currently in the same boat and looking at an upgrade, albeit to a slightly different instrument. I'm playing balkan and classical, and currently have a Hohner organola, 120 bass with double octave, but tired with messy key mechanics. Its a great instrument but now that I'm sure I want to invest a lot of time into the accordion I would like something nicer.

I've narrowed my search down to a few makers, and for me keyboard mechanics and the feel of the instrument is very important. I would like something with cassotto, and if possible a free bass converter. But wouldn't we all! I'm on a budget so I'm not sure where to go. I'm planning on heading up to Accordion Lounge in Shropshire UK to try a few Bugari and Giustozzi models which should be fun. I'm also considering heading over to Prague to take a look at the new offerings from Delicia (and have a few beers of course, but I'm going for musical research, honest)

I'm not sure if free-bass should just wait, and I should get a mid level Bugari (I think it would be used at my price range) so I can really focus on the right hand and keep playing at an intermediate level with a good quality instrument. Any input from experienced players would be appreciated, although I'm developing an understanding of what I want to play I haven't had an opportunity to play many instruments in this price range, and I've found some trouble finding dealers stocking what I'm looking for
Playing a few different instruments at a great store today was SO helpful in helping me decide what I want. I didn't know I had preferences until I played a few - like, how shallow the keyboard depth is, or how far the bass buttons move.

If only it weren't scary to fly with one - otherwise I'd say come visit Accordion Heaven in Minneapolis, MN (it's shockingly close to MSP airport...). Ken is a lovely and extra-knowledgeable person - it was rather like visiting the fictional Ollivander's Wand shop. The accordion chose me (with Ken's help)

Reactions: Tom
Playing a few different instruments at a great store today was SO helpful in helping me decide what I want. I didn't know I had preferences until I played a few - like, how shallow the keyboard depth is, or how far the bass buttons move.

If only it weren't scary to fly with one - otherwise I'd say come visit Accordion Heaven in Minneapolis, MN (it's shockingly close to MSP airport...). Ken is a lovely and extra-knowledgeable person - it was rather like visiting the fictional Ollivander's Wand shop. The accordion chose me (with Ken's help)
Great to hear Liz!

Back