• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

What actually does bass blocking do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beemer

Reaction score
I am aware that cardboard inserts are used in the bass mechanism when shipping accordions. However, I would like to know why this is done as the buttons are designed to be depressed in any combination (or are they not?) without damage. Also, after arrival and the cardboard removed is there any action by a player that can damage a bass action?

Too much force on the bass buttons can cause bending of the rods and pins in the bass mechanism. Or the rods can "jump" the pins (I don't know the technical terms), causing issues with playing particular notes and chords. This could happen both from the accordion being dropped, or jolted in shipping or by aggressive playing. I've repaired both instances.

Too much force on the bass buttons can cause bending of the rods and pins in the bass mechanism. Or the rods can "jump" the pins (I don't know the technical terms), causing issues with playing particular notes and chords. This could happen both from the accordion being dropped, or jolted in shipping or by aggressive playing. I've repaired both instances.
Indeed, and another potential problem is that a shock causes the pistons to move further (deeper) than when you play and then the button goes all the way through the hole and may then jump sideways. When a few buttons do this more buttons may fall down... and everything becomes one big mess. Even going over a bump with the accordion laying down in the trunk of your car can already be enough to cause this problem. It's not limited to "shipping". Once I was just transporting my bayan on shopping trolley (with two wheels) and the handle broke so the trolley took a tumble and the bayan with it. It took me an hour to get the bass mechanism sorted...

I had an ebay accordion that had the bass register messed up AND it was dropped in transit so it was doubly messed up. They somehow dropped it again and created twice the problems it had previously. Luckily it was a Scandalli, and relatively easy to fix - but the chunks of accordion inside the wrapping material indicated a severe drop from height during shipping.

All clear now thanks. Using the Scandalli backpack I have transported my Air3 in the boot of my MX-5. Had it had been 1/2" wider it would not have gone in. My car's is a sport model and its suspension is firm. In future I'll strap it to the passenger seat but with the heated seat off!

Transporting an accordion in its carry case, sitting on a passenger seat, strapped in using the safety belt , has worked well for me.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back