• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

What I need is a B/C/F box.

John Doe

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Promises all the strong points of a club box and then some- ought to be able to play anything I would likely want to throw at it. Assuming I can come up with a decent set of B (or C# which could do about as well I suppose) I would think it would be (relatively) easy to do.

Any naysayers out there? What have I overlooked? Gleichton on the F row but not the C or B? General "are you nuts" comments (feel free, but please offer some reasons why).

Thanks for you thoughts-
Henry

Generally the layout was GCB for the 'accordéon mixte' - popular before the CBA became the musette standard.
Best known player? Probably Emile Vacher. To check your 'ought to be able to play anything ' find him on theTube. There are still a few players around, favouring the 'old' sound.

Thanks- an interesting seemingly new idea -to me- that had already been done long ago. The man <E Vacher> certainly could make it fly.

Given that I'm most likely to try to force the instrument into Rodgers and Hart or Gershwin I figure I probably ought to just leave things alone for the nonce and stick to mastering what I have.*

Thank you again, very much.

Henry

*That being several piano/cba unisonorics, several club bisonorics, a couple of one and two row bisonorics, and two Sterische Harmonika four rows. These last two and my frustration with the lack of accidentals leaving me unable to play the melodies/harmonics I normally play on them is what led to my "old is new again" notion.

Last edited:
You can set up reed blocks with pretty much anything you want! As long as the reed plates fit. With my digital FR-18 which has 3 rows, it is configured as a 2-row and the 3rd row (bellows side) has all the accidentals. You can have a similar setup with an acoustic, with a semi-tone row on the outside.

I can set it up however I want if I have the reeds- which I don't! I am positively awash in unisonic accordion reeds of many sizes and qualities.

Diatonic, not so much- and I'm a bit leery of tuning down or up more than a half step- even that is pushing it, for me at least.

I'm halfheartedly on the look out for a junk B/C# or F# box I and use- but mainly I figure I ought to work on mastering what I already have.

Thanks fo your input.

Back