• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Where is the serial number (Atlantic IV N Deluxe)?

Progress for you Silken Path!
I've always found Ralf Tritschler very helpful in all matters Hohner; history, spares etc. If he doesn't know then he knows where to go to get the answer and it's a re-assurance for Hohner owners that they're less likely to be left high and dry without answers.

Regarding the reeds, I am not a big fan of the Hohner Artiste reeds. Yes they are better than Hohner H or T reeds, but in terms of tolerance, meaning room around the reed tongue that is a source of "hiss" while playing, especially with higher notes, they are not great. I understand Hohner could do any better apparently, but these reeds are clearly inferior to good Italian reeds.
Sure, but that doesn't change that the Hohner Artiste reeds (in Hohner Atlantic Deluxe instruments) are what make an Atlantic with a sound admissable in decent company. You can sensibly integrate an Atlantic Deluxe into an accordion ensemble because you get enough dynamic range and recognizable timbre to represent and integrate a voice. With a non-Deluxe, that isn't really a good option.

That doesn't turn an Atlantic Deluxe into an Italian instrument or a Morino or even an Imperator. But it does make a significant difference.

Well, here's the information. My Atlantic IV N De Luxe was delivered on Dec. 22, 1977 (I was 18 that year) to the Lindberg company in Munich (where I was delivered, too, at the US Army Hospital). The model number is 3-445 and the list price was DM 2820 in 1977, which is about $1500. My mother recalls that the exchange rate was DM 4 to $1 in the early to mid 60s. I bought the Atlantic this year from a guy that restores Hohners... in Munich. Ralf T. said that the accordions were clad and painted, and then the numbers were stamped in.

So... 1972 was when the Atlantic got longer white keys, differently shaped black keys, new register switches with symbols, and the resonance hood, which I notice is easily removable. Mine is the black and gold model. The blue Hohner brochure says that the keys are removable without disturbing the surrounding keys. Also said that Atlantic IV N De Luxe was available in ivory.

Well, here's the information. My Atlantic IV N De Luxe was delivered on Dec. 22, 1977 (I was 18 that year) to the Lindberg company in Munich (where I was delivered, too, at the US Army Hospital). The model number is 3-445 and the list price was DM 2820 in 1977, which is about $1500. My mother recalls that the exchange rate was DM 4 to $1 in the early to mid 60s. I bought the Atlantic this year from a guy that restores Hohners... in Munich. Ralf T. said that the accordions were clad and painted, and then the numbers were stamped in.

So... 1972 was when the Atlantic got longer white keys, differently shaped black keys, new register switches with symbols, and the resonance hood, which I notice is easily removable. Mine is the black and gold model. The blue Hohner brochure says that the keys are removable without disturbing the surrounding keys. Also said that Atlantic IV N De Luxe was available in ivory.
Nice to know a bit of history of your instrument.
Note that the "resonance hood" was/is needed to make the reeds under it a bit more mellow, to match the sound of the reeds at the opposite end, hidden under the registers (which also dampen the sound a bit). Mostly though the "resonance hood" was a cheap "substitute" for the much better but also more expensive curtain-sordino of the older Atlantic IV (before the N). The "resonance hood" is indeed easily removable but it makes the sound even sharper than it already was and also uneven because it differs from the sound of the reeds under the registers.

Thank you, Paul. I've heard of a jalousie-like contraption on some of them. Well, simple is often good. Now all I have to do is to learn to play it.
Here you go: jalousie open and then jalousie closed.
Many people with an Atlantic play always with the jalousie closed.

P8164445.jpg

P8164446.jpg

Thanks, Paul. Neat. So a cover over the grille would work too. By the way, my Atlantic is supposed to be foam free and have been tuned right before I bought it. The only thing I've found appearance-wise is that the keys have longitudinal marks that look like the hysteresis cracks (inside cracks) that older auto headlamp covers get. It hasn't bugged me, but I read that the keys can be changed while leaving their frame attached on Atlantics.

I got my cheerful vintage but only mildly used Palmer-Hughes books one through four in the mail yesterday... Now to get busy learning how to play this thing.

Thanks, Paul. Neat. So a cover over the grille would work too. By the way, my Atlantic is supposed to be foam free and have been tuned right before I bought it. The only thing I've found appearance-wise is that the keys have longitudinal marks that look like the hysteresis cracks (inside cracks) that older auto headlamp covers get. It hasn't bugged me, but I read that the keys can be changed while leaving their frame attached on Atlantics.
A friend of mine put a layer of insulator material (like used between a radiator and the wall to save energy) under the grille of his Atlantic IV N to create a similar effect as the sordino of the older Atlantic IV. I have not heard it but he really likes what it does to the sound. Someone else posted here a cardboard contraption that went under the grille of his accordion (not an Atlantic) to create a cassotto-like effect. That was also a neat idea.

There is an Atlantic in a box - used for parts, probably - at my local (Atlanta) accordion store. Next time I go, I'll look and see if it has a sortina and if they have common parts. Again, thank you for the information.

One thing that I can attest to - losing aural sensitivity with age, which occurs mainly in the higher frequencies, can be a blessing at times.
The need to reduce harshness from some accordions, and the necessity of bearing with the off-key screeches of some Grand Opera Coloratura divas, is thereby substantially reduced. ;)

Today I found a way to alleviate one of the "rubbishness" issues with the Atlantic IV de Luxe. The first few notes above A6 had a noticeable hiss, caused by air being wasted through the opposite (non-playing) reed. Good quality accordions typically have valves on the notes up to and sometimes including C#7. On the Atlantic the highest valved note was A6, and higher notes showed absolutely no sign of ever having had a valve (as evidenced by absolutely no trace of glue ever having been applied). I added valves to A#6,B6, C7 and C#7 and the hiss is completely gone. (I also had to tune up the notes by about 10 cents because valves cause the frequency to drop about 10 cents, that's completely normal.) I can now play a somewhat believable oboe part using a single M reed and with the sordino closed. (On accordions with cassotto playing a believable oboe imitation is impossible unless you can play a dry-tuned single M outside of cassotto.) Now I will start working on an arrangement of an oboe quartet by Mozart, to see how the "oboe" blends in with my other accordions. The biggest challenge will be playing the part because obviously the Atlantic is a PA whereas all other accordions I play are CBA...

The biggest challenge will be playing the part because obviously the Atlantic is a PA whereas all other accordions I play are CBA...
Might be a motivation to look for an Atlanta, the CBA incarnation of an Atlantic.

Might be a motivation to look for an Atlanta, the CBA incarnation of an Atlantic.
They can occasionally found for sale on-line for a lot of money (much more than they are worth). The Atlantic I have I got for free. You cannot beat that price...

Last edited:
They can occasionally found for sale on-line for a lot of money (much more than they are worth). The Atlantic I have I got for free. You cannot beat that price...
If by the time you finish with it there is nary an original part in it, the original price is more of anecdotal value than as a reference for your investment.

If by the time you finish with it there is nary an original part in it, the original price is more of anecdotal value than as a reference for your investment.
I'm pretty much done now. I replaced the pallet felt+leather on the treble side (and the felt under the keyboard), I added a few valves. And I did tuning. So the vast majority of the accordion is still original. The cost of pallet felt and a few valves is negligible. Most of what went into the accordion was "labor of love".

Very neat, Paul.

Hmm. It turns out that I actually have, from somewhere online, the 1977 Musik & Hohner Akkordeons booklet. It's nice to have the correct year's catalog, but there is nothing new in the Atlantic IV N D description since the 1972 booklet. I'm still waiting for my production certificate.

It turns out that I actually have, from somewhere online, the 1977 Musik & Hohner Akkordeons booklet. It's nice to have the correct year's catalog, but there is nothing new in the Atlantic IV N D description since the 1972 booklet. I'm still waiting for my production certificate.
Does it look like this?:
Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 7.15.28 AM.png

If so, your "somewhere online" source was me. :)

And Jerry, let me add thank you very much for preserving these documents and making them available to the great unwashed.

Back