• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Bach Double Feature: Prelude in C Major & Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring on Hohner Morino Bayan

I guess some types of music are just about making a big sound, or lots of rhythm for dancing, or "impressing" people with lots of notes - musical plate spinning etc. That's okay and accordion is often good at that.

Other types of music are more delicate and really need to breathe, and that kinda underlines the importance of musical rests to me, as one element that matters. I have a theory, of sorts, that goes further still and I'd suggest that music that has lyricism is something to be appreciated also. Finally, I'd take another bold step and suggest that musical instruments are even more "special" when they have the capacity to be like the human voice. I think of the violin, cello and some of the woodwinds, like the oboe, that can possess a tonal quality that almost sings.

Generally, I'd say it's harder (but not impossible) for the accordion to sing because of its complexity in voicing, the mechanical nature of the stradella chords and the widespread use of digital sounds and midi etc. These can be strengths in other types of music, but not so much in music with lyricism. I think somehow when simplicity is embraced, by perhaps using "less", the accordion can be quite lyrical. An alabaster-like "clarinet" voice or shimmering "violin" coupled with free bass left hand can be exquisite and give any instrument a run for it's money, if you've got the right musician playing it.​

Last edited:
Back