• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Buying the Roland FR-1X in 2022 - is Rolland discontinuing it?

I think someone should make a 'simple' digital accordion that focuses on these 3 qualities...

1. Serves those that wish to practice accordion quietly
2. Feels as close as the real thing as possible
3. Is not as fancy as the others (doesn't have many features), and thus, is not as expensive
Everyone has their own opinion of the ideal digital and acoustic accordions. My FR8X gives me great pleasure and I like it more each month and year that I own it because of its additional layers of complexity which add to my enjoyment of the instrument.

1. The store provided headphones which have been seldom used, but allow me to practice quietly even though it's possible to turn down the volume so the ability to practice silently is a bit oversold.
2. A digital accordion feels like an acoustic in every aspect apart from the bellows action but this is to be expected since the bellows don't serve the same purpose
3. Plentiful features are a function of the electronic components found in these instruments and these components are becoming more inexpensive when you look at their expanding capacity and manufacturers try to make the items that they offer attractive to the largest number of potential customers. For instance my FR8X works very well in tandem with my Bk7m and it would be very useful if both devices could be Incorporated into one instrument. Keyboards have done this for many years and it's a shame that Roland didn't do this with their accordions. It's frustrating to me when you buy a product and find a useful feature that's only available with an additional purchase. So as far as simplicity is concerned, it is best if your fantasy digital accordion is easy to start using but as you learn that there are many useful features that can be easily accessed to enhance your experience.

I have a 4x which I love but the thing that really bugs me about the price of the Roland’s is that they are basically mass produced items. Circuit boards are all made by machine, most of the parts are molded, keys and use a circuit board and rubber contacts. It all clips together so there very little skill involved in the assembly. The main cost was probably in the software but I am pretty sure it’s paid for itself by now. But they still cost the same or more than an acoustic accordion even though every one of those (even the cheap Chinese ones) takes a good deal more time and skill to assemble. Realistically Roland could probs lay sell 8xs for a couple of grand but they continue to price them comparably with acoustic boxes even though they are nothing like each other. A good electronic keyboard is nothing like the cost of a similar quality real piano.

And while I love my 4x reliability does concern me. There’s not much you can do if a circuit board dies except replace it, if you can get the part. But you can still fix a 60year old acoustic box.

Ok, done with my complaining. Have to admit though it’s nice to be able to put earphones on and play without disturbing the wife.

I have a 4x which I love but the thing that really bugs me about the price of the Roland’s is that they are basically mass produced items. Circuit boards are all made by machine, most of the parts are molded, keys and use a circuit board and rubber contacts. It all clips together so there very little skill involved in the assembly. The main cost was probably in the software but I am pretty sure it’s paid for itself by now. But they still cost the same or more than an acoustic accordion even though every one of those (even the cheap Chinese ones) takes a good deal more time and skill to assemble. Realistically Roland could probs lay sell 8xs for a couple of grand but they continue to price them comparably with acoustic boxes even though they are nothing like each other. A good electronic keyboard is nothing like the cost of a similar quality real piano.

And while I love my 4x reliability does concern me. There’s not much you can do if a circuit board dies except replace it, if you can get the part. But you can still fix a 60year old acoustic box.

Ok, done with my complaining. Have to admit though it’s nice to be able to put earphones on and play without disturbing the wife.
I can see it your way, regarding the pricing. My Roland FR-1XB cost twice as much as my (German made) big Startone.

However, I know that I'll run into recurring maintenance matters and costs with that acoustic one, like tuning. (I have hardly had it out of its case since I bought it in November 2021.) Many of you all will see that better than me...

Believe it or not, I got in trouble with the Mrs for being too loud while picking my electric guitar in the evening when the kids were asleep.
It was unplugged...

I sure hope those Roland buttons don't make a clicking sound when you press them.
yeah, the keys are not really the most discreet sound one could hear. I usually play in a different room, so no one hears the click-clacks.
But that's the same for my MZX500, so I'm kind of used to it :)

Back