• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

can i play an a flat instead of a g sharp on my accordion?

No offense to the forumites but you're talking to a group of accordion elitists, not in a bad way, but people that have dedicated an extraordinary amount of time into the knowledge of playing "correctly" and of high opinion instrument quality.
Where would people like that find the time to post on a forum?

Was not meant to offend, I love reading this forum and I've gained a ton of knowledge from opinions, facts and videos from members and I'm grateful this place exists. However music is what you get out of it and should be measured in enjoyment not comparing skill or having elite gear etc. (unless that's your definition of enjoyment)

Just a humble opinion, I'll go back in my hole. :)

I seem to remember that the great Harry Hussey ( perhaps Terry can enlighten) had no musical training, but is a fantastic accordionist with quite a few cds to his name
Harry Hussey was on uk tv last year on a program called the Piano he was Brilliant . ... His age seems no barrier and also received a university degree !! he continued studying for the degree ......whilst seriously ill in Hospital .....God bless him nothing holds Harry Hussey back !!
I always had a good laugh with him teasing him don't you know anything other than requests !! ha ha ha .
that man can play anything ...................you have to see him in action to believe it

I met Harry about 20 years ago when he came to our club as a guest.
He was absolutely fantastic and an inspiration to us all. He kept us enthralled with his tales of his childhood playing in pubs.
As you say, he took requests all night and was never stumped. I still have a couple of his cds which I play constantly in the car, but I would love to hear him again in person.

To go back to the original post, it was answered succinctly by the second. As far as I'm concerned two things count if play on your own, Do you enjoy your music making and the process thereof?. If you play in public, does the audience however big or however small enjoy what you do? If the answer is yes to both, you're doing all right. Not knowing technical jargon doesn't matter that much. I haven't a clue about diapason for example, I've read about it but the words do a lap of my brain bud and then flutter off somewhere. I picked up the terms "mordant " and "acciacatura" ( Ornaments) as well, ornaments will do for me. Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy. And by the way, I really do admire musicians such as Paul De B , who really do fully understand the ins and out of the technical side of things and can make that knowledge work for them.

I met Harry about 20 years ago when he came to our club as a guest.
He was absolutely fantastic and an inspiration to us all. He kept us enthralled with his tales of his childhood playing in pubs.
As you say, he took requests all night and was never stumped. I still have a couple of his cds which I play constantly in the car, but I would love to hear him again in person.
Hi pipemajor , so glad you echoed what i had written about Harry Hussey . i know that he had been ill and I sincerely hope he has recovered .
He does musical arrangements that are published in the Accordion post this september edition he did an arrangement for accordion of "more than you know " Accordion Post email address . accordions2010@hotmail.co.uk
Editor Barry Smith .........it's a good magazine (you may be already aware of the magazine )

Hi pipemajor , so glad you echoed what i had written about Harry Hussey . i know that he had been ill and I sincerely hope he has recovered .
He does musical arrangements that are published in the Accordion post this september edition he did an arrangement for accordion of "more than you know " Accordion Post email address . accordions2010@hotmail.co.uk
Editor Barry Smith .........it's a good magazine (you may be already aware of the magazine )
Hi Giovanni, is this a printed only magazine? Please tell us more!

Please tell us more! Is this a print magazine or

Hi Giovanni, is this a printed only magazine? Please tell us more!

Please tell us more! Is this a print magazine or
hi Tom ,Yes it is only a printed magazine .........it is not available on line not available in the shops .
Barry smith is a good accordionist and very good entertainer he lives near Birmingham in the midlands .and also runs festivals !!

hi Tom ,Yes it is only a printed magazine .........it is not available on line not available in the shops .
Barry smith is a good accordionist and very good entertainer he lives near Birmingham in the midlands .and also runs festivals !!
Thanks !

I feel like "The Accordion Post" deserves a post of its own on here (pun slightly intended) to raise awareness. I'll check it out thank you

Back