• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Case for my accordion

Squeezeplay

Reaction score
Recently I became the owner of a nice Victoria accordion, with a wireless midi system in it. The case it came with is a disaster.
I was looking at the fibreglass case from Jim Laabs music. Does anyone have one,is it decent ? or have a suggestion for a new case ?

πŸ™

Recently I became the owner of a nice Victoria accordion, with a wireless midi system in it. The case it came with is a disaster.
I was looking at the fibreglass case from Jim Laabs music. Does anyone have one,is it decent ? or have a suggestion for a new case ?

πŸ™
If you live within driving distance of a shop that services or sells accordions, chances are they have a room full of used cases for you to pick from that should cost much less than a new one. Personally, I would want to choose the case myself, in person. I’ve had people say that their cases are in mint condition or like new, only to find that, even though they appear to be in good condition, they have stains or, worse yet, an odor of mold or mildew.

The problem with hard cases is that, when travelling, the case and accordion tend to rub against each other with damage to both.πŸ€”
Generally, the plush lining becomes holed in several places, then wear to the celluloid comes next.
My foster father would travel several hundred miles along unmade, corrugated gravel roads, to and from construction
sites , with his accordion sitting in the car in a plush lined plywood hard case. Eventually, sections of celluloid on the treble keyboard corner and edge wore right through to the underlying aluminium base.
I have seen similar wear on a number of different accordions.
My impression is that this kind of wear is less likely with a soft case ( although all my own accordion cases are of the hard variety).πŸ™‚

Last edited:
Ron, looks like you are going to have to add another skill to your toolbox... master accordion case maker! :)

Just based on the dynamics of the materials, I would think the wood ones to be better at absorbing impact than fibreglass, but they don't last as long (and are likely heavier).

πŸ™
I've also looked at those fiberglass cases from Jim Laabs and they look tempting, however I have some concerns. There didn't seem to be any specific dimensions when I looked so there was no way to estimate how an accordion would fit and the velvet lining in many cases just doesn't cut it anymore. If those cases were sufficiently large enought to line with impact resistant foam like that found in some guitar cases, then it probably might make sense to purchase one of those light weight fiberglass cases. Failing that, you might not want to carry your valuable accordion in a case that doesn't offer good protection.

A few years ago I purchased some heavy duty road cases for some equipment and it was easy to go to my local Long and McQuade store and their supplier built them for me for a quite reasonable price. They built something that was exactly to my specifications and although I don't remember the exact price it was close to the price of the fibreglass cases specified in your post. They were very good at working with me to design something that met my needs and exceeded my expectations.

A Pelican case is awesome at protecting an instrument. That does come with considerable bulk and weight. The model I have has wheels and an extendable handle to use it as a tow behind.

A Pelican case is awesome at protecting an instrument.
They are also extremely strong, heavy and waterproof. Depending on the accordion, a mode 1660 or 1620 looks about right. Now, the bad news it is that those things are quite expensive. If I was forced to transport one of my accordions on a plane, the only thing I would place it in would be a pelican case.

for air travel, when it's gonna be checked in with the rest of the luggage,
on my Italy trips i used that big square Samsonite clamshell, which inside it
fits the Italiacinte soft case with a full size accordion inside that,
plus a bit of extra bubble wrap

brought back the 960 one trip and the Woody the next this way

some box players who air travel a lot of course invest in an Anvil case
custom sized..

both these options are bulky and not practical for local everyday use
but i thought i would mention them

Back