• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

clacking keys querie

Pipemajor

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
another querie regarding key noise.
I have just noticed a couple of adjoining keys have developed a loud clatter when the button (cba) is released. None of the other keys are affected.
I've enclosed a photo of the pallets. It's two of the red ones that are the problem.
You will see that these are held on by the red rubber(?) sleeves.
Can I just lift these off of the sleeves to examine the pallet surfaces or is there any thing I should be aware of.
TIA Ian

Attachments

It isn't very clear in the picture but you should check that when you press (and release) a (white) key the pallet passes through the two levers on either side without touching them. There isn't a lot of tolerance as far as I can tell. For instance, the 8th pallet from the left looks like it may be a bit too far to the right. (Perspective / shooting angle of the picture may be deceiving though.) Other than that these pallets and the green felt+leather looks so similar for all notes that the "hit" on the soundboard would be different for some notes.

Pipemajor: Perhaps I'm missing a point here but if you can identify two 'clacking' keys then it follows, in my mind, that you can point to/identify the two 'offending' keys on the picture.
On an unrelated issue I notice that the 'musette' coupler shows that there are three MMM reeds but these are not apparent on the 'master' coupler; one 'M' reed has disappeared.

Solved (sort of)
Thank you Paul and Box for your assistance.
I think I've finally tracked down the problem.
The two offending notes were A5 and Bflat5 corresponding to 1st and 2nd row buttons (CBA).
I removed the A pallet which was very easy, just slid it off the rubber coupling and wiggle it out.
The pallets are in perfect as new condition so that was not the cause.
I did find however that the clack was still there with the pallet removed so the problem was in the linkeage.
I took the underside panel off the keyboard to expose the linleage and noticed that on all the repeater buttons i.e. rows 4-6. the pistons were very close to the upper edge of the hole and in the case of the A and Bflat buttons, actually made contact with the base plate when released quickly, although it didn't happen on "normal" playing, only when playing triplets etc.
With carefull use of Swiss files I was able to open up the hole that the piston went through on the A button and the clack disappeared- so much so that all the other buttons sounded noisy!!:oops:. This must have been a fault from new which wasn't picked up as it only happened playing triplets .
I was unable to completely fix the Bflat note as I was unable to reach the piston/hole to file it. However, as I'm not likely to do too many triplets on the 2nd row and it wasn't as bad as the A, I'll leave it.
Also, all the other notes which now sound noisy compared to the one I fixed will be left alone.

Well spotted Box, on the musette couplings.
I originally bought this box as it was advertised as LMMMH as per the couplings, but, on arrival and inspection, it is LMMH, the MMM musette button is in fact MMH.
I didn't return it as it is a very nice accordion, and, apart from a few minor problems, virtually as new.
It was bought new by a man who had played piano accordion all his life and, on retiring, decided he would like to try a CBA.
After a couple of weeks he found he was too set in his ways with the piano accordion and this one was consigned to a cupboard where it remained until he passed away.
His wife needed to dispose of his accordions and his friend, also and accordionist (piano) since childhood advertised them on her behalf, which was how I came to buy it, as I was looking for a decent LMMM box and this seemed to fit perfectly.
I'm very happy with the box, which, apart from a few minor problems not helped by being stored away (luckily dry) in a cupboard for about 10 years, such as a few valves needing re glueing etc. were all easily fixed and I have an as new accordion for a very reasonable price.
However, I've now got my eye on a lovely Borsini CBA, LMMM, with midi and mikes, newly refurbished, so things may change:)
I've enclosed a couple of photos to show what I've been blethering about.
Sorry 2 had to be as attachements as it said wrong format.:unsure:
thanks again, Ian

Elka1.jpg

Attachments

Sorry, I missed that it was a CBA. (That wasn't visible in the first 4 photos.) Slightly misaligned buttons causing noise is not an uncommon problem.
As for the register markings, especially where and when this accordion comes from it was quite common to use the register markings more as "decorative" than "informative". I have a Crucianelli that has the same style register switches and it too has markings that are decorative but wrong. They suggest the accordion has H reeds whereas the accordion is LMMM.

I own two Excelsior USA Symphony Grands; On is the "standard LMMH" the other LLMM. Both have the normal Excelsior SG arch of switches on the front surrounded by a chromed metal surround which has the semi-cute Harmonium, Celeste et al cast into the metal with no other indication of the banks affected by the switches.
The LLMM is from the factory.
The markings on the metal surround are (were, since I redid them) identical. Seemingly the factory only had one metal surround part style in use and just slapped it on regardless.
It's not as though I -or anyone for that matter- would try to read the names for the various switches while playing. I would think anyone would run through the switches and listen to determine what was what for playing- but it sort of sums up the "mainly cosmetic" labelling convention on many accordions.
When I filled in the cast in labelling, coated with silvertone enamel paint, and relabled the switches I used a four dot system with tiny pointed jewels so that I could feel what the banks engaged were with my finger tip. Worked fine cosmetically and functionally but sort of a waste. If you play the thing at all regularly you know which switch is which without thinking.

Back