• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Hohner Atlantic IV de Luxe

Since the reed is quite important ;) to the sound of a squeezebox, it's probably worth a mention that some Atlantics are equipped with Hohner Artiste reeds. Others have lowly T-scale.
Artistes (afaik) are the best reeds Hohner have ever produced (if you exclude one-off hand-made Italian reeds fitted to some highest end Hohners. On one occasion, I saw hand-made reeds riveted onto Artiste plates :unsure: ). The reed has a very sweet (to my ear) tone - there's still quite a bit "pre-war hohner" character in the timbre, with a civilised touch of a harsher, bayan-like squeal in the middle. That's what Hohner used in the original (German & Swiss-made) Morino boxes before they sold their soul to the Italians.
It looks like the "Deluxe" version has Artistes, while regular version can have either T or Artiste.

But that's not the end of it. Reading the German forums, one of the differences highlighted between Atlantics and Morinos was a suggestion that Morino reeds were tuned by the best Hohner workers (and typically, filed instead of ground or excessively scratched). Atlantic and Club Morino reeds are often hastily butchered during factory tuning by really poor electric-wheel grinding or brutal scratching, ruining a set of very good reeds.

Geek alert: Artiste reeds appear to be made in an interesting way: Typically, for a rivet of, say, 2.0mm, you'd have a 2.1-2.2mm hole punched in the reed tongue base and then rivet it onto the plate. The rivet expands to the hole's diameter and holds the tongue in place.
With Artistes, the tongue hole is a lot bigger than the rivet(!). The rivets are installed by a machine rather than by hand, but they don't grip the tongue well enough to prevent the base from moving (like they do in a traditional rivet). Every reed has a drop of glue (epoxy most likely) on its base, and it's the glue , not the rivet (!!!) that holds the reed in place. Break the glue bond, and you'll never be able to fix the reed without filing off the rivet and installing a much, much thicker one.
Reverse-engineering the reedmaking process, I suspect that Hohner were trying out some innovations. The reeds and plates are machine-made and machine-riveted, but that's not the whole process: then (I infer) the reed would go to a reedmaker who would fit it (with a small fitting gap - not quite Italian a-manos, but probably a good TAM level) and glue:eek: it down. The fitting part is made a lot easier because the machine rivet holds the reed down with enough force that it's not loose, but not enough force to allow easily adjusting the reed position with light sideways taps on the tongue base. In contrast, while traditional rivets can still be adjusted with sideways taps, that requires a lot more force (essentially, de-forming the rivet) and the scale of adjustment is miniscule - less than half a mm.
TLDR version: Hohner Artiste reeds are glued, not riveted in place.

I was after a set of Artistes recently, so got to peek into a few Atlantics and I failed to spot any logic to the reed or reedblock quality.
E.g. One de-luxe was equipped with gold-anodised Artiste reeds that have never seen a dremel grinder. Very accurate filing job by the factory tuner. Perhaps, all trainees were on holiday and the job had to be done by one of the "Morino guys". Good quality wood in the reedblocks. Another de-luxe had very poorly made reedblocks with cardboard gasket (yuck!) and the reeds were brutalised with a dremel at the factory (and yes, that's definitely a factory thing).
Artistes don't do particularly well at the lowest notes on the treble side, because the plates are too short, requiring a big braze-on. Well, one Atlantic had the lowest notes on (longer) H plates, but they were still hand-fitted to a very small gap and glued, just like the Artistes.

Anyway, enough reed erotica. Enjoy your box!

Last edited:
What particular aspect is causing you problems (nightmares)? Which parts are causing you problems?
Most of them made in Trossingen, Deutschland, have rubber parts in the keyboard that wear out, I think called Wechselgummis, and people try to fix them with rubber glue, which doesn't work except for a very short time. Hohner doesn't make those any more, that I know of.
A few Atlantic IVs were made in Switzerland and may have a different keyboard design without the rubber lifters between the keys, and these wear out more slowly.
The factory bellows are just okay, but may not last, as the cardboard IMHO is not the absolute best.
Hohner no longer exists. The name continues.

That isn't correct. Its ownership has changed but a number of elements carry on including the old parts store. You could ask there, but there were also some other salespoints offering Wechselgummis if I am not mistaken.

I was after a set of Artistes recently, so got to peek into a few Atlantics and I failed to spot any logic to the reed or reedblock quality.
E.g. One de-luxe was equipped with gold-anodised Artiste reeds that have never seen a dremel grinder. Very accurate filing job by the factory tuner. Perhaps, all trainees were on holiday and the job had to be done by one of the "Morino guys". Good quality wood in the reedblocks. Another de-luxe had very poorly made reedblocks with cardboard gasket (yuck!) and the reeds were brutalised with a dremel at the factory (and yes, that's definitely a factory thing).
Artistes don't do particularly well at the lowest notes on the treble side, because the plates are too short, requiring a big braze-on. Well, one Atlantic had the lowest notes on (longer) H plates, but they were still hand-fitted to a very small gap and glued, just like the Artistes.
I have an Atlantic IV de luxe with reed blocks made out of cheap wood and using a cardboard gasket. "Yuck" is indeed a good word to describe my feeling when I found out about this.
Still, with the sordino closed the accordion produces a reasonable tone, not too sharp. And after I replaced the pallet felt+leather the most annoying clacking sound (upon key release) is gone as well.

Most of them made in Trossingen, Deutschland, have rubber parts in the keyboard that wear out, I think called Wechselgummis, and people try to fix them with rubber glue, which doesn't work except for a very short time. Hohner doesn't make those any more, that I know of.
A few Atlantic IVs were made in Switzerland and may have a different keyboard design without the rubber lifters between the keys, and these wear out more slowly.
The factory bellows are just okay, but may not last, as the cardboard IMHO is not the absolute best.
Whasanike:
Atlantics remain popular here after all those years. I've owned one and still see a few for maintenance and repairs. The rubber connectors in the treble keys have not caused any problems; I suspect they 'harden' with age but so far have not been responsible for misalignment/ air leakage.
New rubber connectors remain available, if you need them.
Regarding existence of Hohner, I communicate with a 'Hohner' website, with a German domain, on an irregular basis (three times per annum) and receive advice about spares and repairs from a very helpful and knowledgeable staff.

I did not have any issue with the keyboard. Bellows are fine and tight.

AFAIK Hohner still exists 😊 It might have changed hands but it is still there.

I did not have any issue with the keyboard. Bellows are fine and tight.

AFAIK Hohner still exists 😊 It might have changed hands but it is still there.
The company is there, the museum and conservatory are also there... I was in Trossingen a couple of weeks ago and was at Hohner, even picked up my 4 certificates of delivery for my 4 Hohners.

I'm a bit of a Hohner fanboy (let's say more a fan of the OLD HOHNER), and would love to say that it is the same accordion powerhouse manufacturer as it was in the 50's-80's... It's sadly not. Their speciality now is more mouth harmonicas than anything else, and from what I was told, only 3 models of accordion are now made in Trossingen (XS, Corona and Gola), some in Italy, but the majority are made in China.

Someone here mentioned that they are now a Korean owned company? I'd have no trouble believing that.

Last edited:
The company is there, the museum and conservatory are also there... I was in Trossingen a couple of weeks ago and was at Hohner, even picked up my 4 certificates of delivery for my 4 Hohners.

I'm a bit of a Hohner fanboy (let's say more a fan of the OLD HOHNER), and would love to say that it is the same accordion powerhouse manufacturer as it was in the 50's-80's... It's sadly not. Their speciality now is more mouth harmonicas than anything else, and from what I was told, only 3 models of accordion are now made in Trossingen (XS, Corona and Gola), some in Italy, but the majority are made in China.

Someone here mentioned that they are now a Korean owned company? I'd have no trouble believing that.
Taiwan. KHS Musical Instruments bought them out completely through their subsidiary HS Investments in 2014 (ending Hohner's run as an "Aktiengesellschaft", publicly traded company). They've been turned into a GmbH ("Ltd") in 2016.

KHS Musical Instruments had been a majority stake owner for some time before that since they were an important part manufacturer for Hohner and Hohner repeatedly had to pay their bills in company shares. While they went all-in in order to take over the financial management, they've been treading very lightly around the brand recognition of what is now their property.

I'm a bit of a Hohner fanboy (let's say more a fan of the OLD HOHNER), and would love to say that it is the same accordion powerhouse manufacturer as it was in the 50's-80's... It's sadly not.

I am a bit like you! I have 7 "old" Hohners, with fabrication dates varying from the 1940's (pre-Erica) to the early 2000's (Morgane that I bought new in 2007). My dad bought his 2-row in 1952, which I still use today. My workhorse acoustic is a Maestro IV CBA from the late 50's. They are very easy to repair and maintain and we can find parts and donor instruments easily. The T and H reeds seem to have a long life.

There is something about old Hohners! :cool:

Back