• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

How to practice and work on specific songs

It is interesting to see that several of you mention the "why" as a key point, and it has made me think.

What I aim for is to play a song without having to do the thinking part. Just like driving a car, I want my body to play it automatically, so that I can shift my focus from "hitting the right notes", to conveying them in the way I want to.
That only happens not after you have learned the piece, but MEMORIZED it, and that is another process altogether. "auto-pilot" a song that you have not learned to play without mistakes and not taken the time to memorize means playing that piece with more mistakes... and that's a slippery slope. :)

I'm curious since it hasn't come up yet -- at what point in learning a song are folks thinking about dynamics, articulation, and bellows direction?
For me I am passively aware of the markings at the beginnings. Bellows direction is natural for me and I practically never think about it unless it is the first couple of times I play a phrase. Dynamics? After I've reached about 80% of the progress of a song.

Articulation? Never crosses my mind, that is more or less automatic. I never play a song exactly the same way twice, there are always minor differences after I've learned the basics of the song and can play it without much effort or thought.

Back