• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

I don't NEED another accordion.

RYLUNDO

Reaction score
I'm sure this has happened to other people plenty of times, but I just came across an accordion I would absolutely love to have. It's a very old model so accordions in that good of condition are very uncommon. There is a 4 row Hlavaček posted on Facebook Marketplace that I think looks really pretty. Only issue is the price, it is listed far over what I would ever want to spend on an accordion. I believe it is priced at $2,300. If I ever did spend that kind of money, I would probably want it to be new as well. In general, I just love the sound and aesthetic of Hlavaček accordions.1000002930.jpg1000002929.jpg1000002928.jpg

A friend of mine also "collects" accordions. He certainly doesn't need any more (he has close to 20 I think) but he just cannot resist when he finds another interesting model he doesn't already have.
I on the other hand have "only" 11 accordions, 5 of which I actually bought and 6 that I inherited, received as a gift or as a junker, for parts. All of them are in playable condition, some barely, but at least 8 and soon 9 will be in very good condition.
It's very hard to say no when someone just wants to give you an accordion...

I have only been playing for about 5 months and I have 4 accordions. One piano accordion, one Novak button accordion, and two Hlavaček accordions. It doesn't help that accordions are also built to look pretty as well as sound good. It's always so tempting even though I know I don't need any more.

This model is an Anton Hlavaček model, that one is well overpriced in terms of what it's value is, IMHO. The new top of the line ones made now by Delicia retail for $5000US (could likely pick one up in Horovice for about $3500US if you are in the area), maybe that is why they are asking such a silly price for that one. I'd price this one somewhere between $1100-$1500 US **if** it is in perfect condition... and that silly dragon is NOT something you would ever see on an original Hlavaček, BTW.

Let me go on record that not only do I also not need another accordion, this time I am putting my foot down and saying that the 16 I have (3 of which are not really playable), is as far as I am going in my accordion purchases. That's now on the record... lol

I have only been playing for about 5 months and I have 4 accordions. One piano accordion, one Novak button accordion, and two Hlavaček accordions. It doesn't help that accordions are also built to look pretty as well as sound good. It's always so tempting even though I know I don't need any more.
That's how they trap you! :D :D :D

I'm not planning on buying this accordion or any other for a while. I actually know the person that listed it. I don't know them well but I have asked them a few questions after he was done performing at an event.
that silly dragon is NOT something you would ever see on an original Hlavaček, BTW.
I thought it was kind of interesting as well. Mainly anything czech made has the 3 tailed lion as opposed to the Polish using a Phoenix. Do you think that might be some sort of aftermarket add on or change?

I know it's definitely not worth as much money he is asking for it but that won't stop me from constantly looking back at pictures😂.
Let me go on record that not only do I also not need another accordion, this time I am putting my foot down and saying that the 16 I have (3 of which are not really playable), is as far as I am going in my accordion purchases. That's now on the record... lol
Maybe you find another accordion that catches your eye! 🤣

that silly dragon is NOT something you would ever see on an original Hlavaček, BTW.

I didn't notice the dragon as much as this... I'm no expert, but in the treble half of the instrument the text is inlaid with a nice border around it. The text in the bass half is has no border, it's almost stuck on. The font is different too?

I didn't even notice that! It is also a darker shade of brown where it says Heligonka. It very possible he got part of it worked on, but I feel like they would be very major fixes. Aren't cosmetic fixes/refurbishing really expensive when it comes to accordions?

I don't think it got worked on, the lower "Heligonka" is the EXACT same font and matches, it could be that simply that while being made they applied a slightly different tint. Being hand made objects some things like this do happen from time to time, though yes I would assume that they would want to have this minimized. Those dragons? Very asian... saw a near identical one on my Chinese neighgbor's mailbox when they were installing it, somemthing to ward off bad vibes or something. :)

I don't think it got worked on, the lower "Heligonka" is the EXACT same font and matches, it could be that simply that while being made they applied a slightly different tint. Being hand made objects some things like this do happen from time to time, though yes I would assume that they would want to have this minimized.

Although I don't think the fonts match, I'll have to concede this one Jerry - here's another random instrument I found on the internet - has exactly the same features!

Attachments

• Hlavacek.jpg
    Hlavacek.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 11
A little info that some people don’t know (I only have parts of the story myself), there was a family that made accordions. Once the father passed the sons took over but had disagreements of who would lead the family business… so they split up.

Anton, Joseph, Peter and one other son, I cannot recall went their own ways. The one you displayed above is from Joseph who settled in the town of Louny. There were other family members in the towns of Pragueand Horovice as well. Mine, for example is an Anton Hlavaček (Prague}

Today I believe Hlavaček are all made by Delicia about 30 min drive outside of Prague… matter of fact, I plan to be there next month just to check them out. :)

Made by different “factories”, yes there are going to be differences… even though they all have the same family name.

Last edited:
I managed to find a video of it playing.

I must admit, I was major disappointed that I could not find anything accordion related during the time I lived in Texas. Now we’re seeing things there in many towns. I must have been blind or something… lol

The eternal dilemma... Ask yourself: if you bought it, would you really play it? Or just enjoy owning it? :oops:

My philosophy is "If you know how many accordions you have, then you don't have enough".
Life's too short and you can't buy them when you're dead.
Here's a pic of my next dwelling but I'm actually thinking of scrapping the bedroom and sleeping with the accordions.

Attachments

• Accordion Collection.jpg
    Accordion Collection.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 12
My philosophy is "If you know how many accordions you have, then you don't have enough".
Life's too short and you can't buy them when you're dead.
Here's a pic of my next dwelling but I'm actually thinking of scrapping the bedroom and sleeping with the accordions.
I'm already not too far from that... imagine a complete full sized basement where 3/4 of it's entirety is dedicated to my computers, video/audio recording section and accordion shelves, the only reason it's not all of the basement is that I have a 3rd bathroom down there! :D :D

Back