• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

I don't NEED another accordion.

Here’s my solution.
I live as a retiree in a 5th wheel. It’s a large 5th wheel but still……
Plus that we need room for guitars, banjos ukuleles & concertinas. Oh yeah, I think there’s a tin whistle hiding somewhere.

Most musicians seem to be afflicted with IAS ( Instrument Acquisition Syndrome) The symptoms vary. Just after a violin friend of ours died, his wife sorted out his many violins and then found secreted around the house at least half a dozen "secret" violins that she didn't know about.
I'm down to 2 1/2 accordions now, the half being one I share with the boss. But I also have two mandolins and 3 guitars. I've half an eye on this vintageguitarsrus.com/collections/paul-brett-series/products/vintage-paul-brett-signature at the moment. Good guitars are tremendously good value at the moment, there's worldwide over production and as such good instruments are often heavily discounted at the point of sale.
Anyway, wanting more instruments than you can possibly play is normal.

I know it's definitely not worth as much money he is asking for it but that won't stop me from constantly looking back at pictures😂.
There is some joke in there involving adult magazines and squeezing but I cannot put my finger on it. Wait, that's it: no buts but just a colon.

Anyway, wanting more instruments than you can possibly play is normal.
The trick is to only ever buy an instrument if you absolutely positively have a definite use for it that cannot possibly be catered for by any other of your instruments.
By strict adherence to this principle I have managed to confine the number of my instruments to less than a few dozen.

1000003439.jpgIs anyone able to tell if this is a Heligonka button accordion? I know it is diatonic but am unsure if it would have helikon reeds. Normally if they do it would just say heligonka. I'm considering making an offer😂

Then you have exactly as many as you should have… lol
I sold/gave away 6 this week. Finally closer to where I was 10 years ago. Kind of a relief.

1000003440.jpgThese reeds are too big to be standard bass reeds, right?
Right. And no standard bass reeds get to share valves with their octave reeds. Or have the octave reeds right next to them on the same reed plate. And do you see any weights on them like with ordinary bass reeds? They are low enough by size.

These are just pictures posted on the listing so I don't know much about it. If they are helikon reeds I think I will make an offer.

These are just pictures posted on the listing so I don't know much about it. If they are helikon reeds I think I will make an offer.
They are. Nothing half-baked; they are the full deal in every respect.

1000003444.jpgSome of these leathers look off.
I beg to differ. I think the ones you mean are long leathers (actually, look more like vileda to me which shouldn't curl but may stiffen) without boosters (plastic or metal) and the reed blocks appear to be held at an angle. To my eye, that does not amount to curl but suppleness. To me it looks like they would close without noticeable delay.

I sold/gave away 6 this week. Finally closer to where I was 10 years ago. Kind of a relief.
And I thank you for assisting me in my own bellows driven morass. According to my daughter's count - who flitted by this past weekend from the bright lights big city to the dimly lit basement where her father dwells- thanks to your kindness in taking some of my overflow I only have 38 left...

5 CBA, 22 PA, 7 club type biisonoric, one two row bisonoric, one one row bisonoric, a four row steirische, a 56 button English concertina and... a flutina.

All have what strikes me as distinctive features. None are less than 60 years old- most much older.

Not just excess- wretched excess. Given about three hours a day squeezing away I play through the inventory about every two three weeks. Some, much to my sorrow, mainly collect dust.

The fruits of a misspent life. In some ways, I'd have been better off snorting meth than fooling with accordions...

The fruits of a misspent life. In some ways, I'd have been better off snorting meth than fooling with accordions...
Well, the meth does not continue taking up space once you have played with it.

It's the cases that are absolutely killing my available space. I keep the instruments on racks so I can grab whatever suits my fancy and they lead a pretty pampered existance- but, regrettably, while I can readily figure out which case goes with the concertina, the rest sum up as a huge pile of semiserviceable (all have handles) battered items which don't stack neatly and are absolutely not one size fits all.

They live in the basement on rubber mats to keep them from damp from the concrete floor (have a dehumidifier in there as well) but really are really but a brief impulsive moment from being turned over to the bulk junk removal service.

What a mess.

Back