• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

I don't NEED another accordion.

Looks like I'm buying it!πŸ˜…
It's always a matter of when and not whether.

I usually have a very low restraint. There was one occasion in which I found a 45 key 5 row Giulietti Super V Bassetti in Kimric Smythe's shop. It was priced at a very attractive $1100. At that time I had not played any free bass. I thought I'll sleep on it for a few days and then but it if I still wanted it. I made up my mind in about 2 weeks and I have him a call. It already sold!

I never expected it to sell that fast. It took me more than a year to find something like that. And I paid significantly higher. If all the accordions, I would've never guessed that an extended keyboard free bass only piano accordion will sell that fast.

I never expected it to sell that fast. It took me more than a year to find something like that. And I paid significantly higher. If all the accordions, I would've never guessed that an extended keyboard free bass only piano accordion will sell that fast.
About 80% of the people I know who play a piano accordion with extended keyboard (45 to 47 keys) bought it just for the extended keyboard, and never ever learn to play the free bass. Very few people seem to know that you can actually buy a piano accordion with extended keyboard and with just Stradella bass. Victoria lists them in their catalog but most other companies only list accordions with extended keyboard with (converter) free bass, even though some will make you one with just Stradella if you bother to ask.

About 80% of the people I know who play a piano accordion with extended keyboard (45 to 47 keys) bought it just for the extended keyboard, and never ever learn to play the free bass.
CBA here, but the main reason I got my instrument with free bass was because the price was right. I did not buy it for the free bass even though I happened to end up in the 20%. And I know of people who got themselves a Morino M VI because they liked the sound of its Stradella bass better than of the pure Stradella versions, again without bothering to actually play the free bass.

CBA here, but the main reason I got my instrument with free bass was because the price was right. I did not buy it for the free bass even though I happened to end up in the 20%. And I know of people who got themselves a Morino M VI because they liked the sound of its Stradella bass better than of the pure Stradella versions, again without bothering to actually play the free bass.
Yep, the bass sound may be another good argument for getting an accordion with free bass, ... or not. The main difference with the Morino is that the one with free bass (VI M) has the bass start at E and the IV M has the bass start at C, quite a bit higher.
With many Italian accordions the Stradella bass starts at A while the free bass starts at E. I prefer the lower bass too.
But many people I know only play in an orchestra where they don't use the bass side at all, and they still get (and pay for) a convertor instrument because they don't know they can also get the extended keyboard without the added weight and money for the convertor.

Yep, the bass sound may be another good argument for getting an accordion with free bass, ... or not. The main difference with the Morino is that the one with free bass (VI M) has the bass start at E and the IV M has the bass start at C, quite a bit higher.
With many Italian accordions the Stradella bass starts at A while the free bass starts at E. I prefer the lower bass too.
But many people I know only play in an orchestra where they don't use the bass side at all, and they still get (and pay for) a convertor instrument because they don't know they can also get the extended keyboard without the added weight and money for the convertor.
I now have three with extended keyboard.

1) Giulietti Super V Bassetti (free bass only)
2) Petosa cathedral free bass transformer (with quint reeds in the treble side)
3) Hohner Morino C converter Bayan

This week I acquired another Giulietti super Bassetti (free bass only) but with only 41 keys.

Since this Hohner Morino VIM is free I suppose this works as well as the for sale section. It would seem of general interest on an accordion collection thread. You'll never sneak this one into the house but it's a great addition anyway.

Free with the proviso that you’ll have to show up and pick it up in person or through an agent of your choice. I will not, under any circumstances, transport it myself any farther than the middle of my driveway. The original case is in surprisingly good condition.
The Morino VIM is replete with a full complement of darned nice reeds- in great condition sonically and cosmetically and in tune. The C griff three row free bass works just fine.
The chin switch and front shifters work but that: THE M REEDS IN TH THE CHAMBER ARE ALWAYS ON. The top thumb killer shift bar (Chin, grill, and thumb bar switches; no option left off this one) has been removed; it originally activated the chamber M reed bank and the impact of the shift bar mechanism over the years is what ruined the original end of the chamber M slide.)
This means that you can flawlessly play LM LMMM M MMM LMMH MMMH MH to your heart’s content but eliminating the in tune M bank isn’t going to happen (the end of the slide for this bank took a trip and turned out to be beyond my ability to improvise satisfactorily so I simply eliminated it from the options. The slide (absent the end) is still in there for a hearty soul who wishes to try their luck. You’ll need to make a new slide or find a Morino VIM to replace it though, the pile of junker part donors isn’t apt to help on this one.)
Why am I offering it up?
-It weighs a bit more than a VW bug but less than a Mercedes…
-As a result of my nature- I can’t play it without thinking about the slide. This really detracts from the enjoyment I get from squeezing away for the wild turkeys strolling in the yard. Someone less obsessive would have no issues as the remaining options sound full and satisfying.

Free because I’m in the accordion enjoyment business, not the accordion selling business and I don’t want to mix the two at all.

PM me and enjoy. I’m just south of Saint Paul, MN.

For those of us who actually speak English what does "live in a fifth wheel" mean?πŸ€”πŸ™‚πŸ˜„
A fifth wheel is defined as to how it is attached/pulled. A trailer is pulled by a hitch and maybe some stabilizer bars. A 4th wheel is basically the same design as a huge tractor trailer, and the trailer on a 5th wheel has a drastic cut out so that the truck can fit under where the attachment point is. It's made to haul larger trailers safely. It also takes up a lot more room in the bed of a truck vs the ball that sticks out behind a vehicle.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 7.34.46β€―PM.png

1000003439.jpgIs anyone able to tell if this is a Heligonka button accordion? I know it is diatonic but am unsure if it would have helikon reeds. Normally if they do it would just say heligonka. I'm considering making an offerπŸ˜‚
It's not.
A Heligonka is defined by (other things), it's name, its VERY DEEP bass, strong musette tune and small size as a start of some of the traits.

I ended up buying it. It does have the amplified bass so I do think it is heligonka.
Not sure what you mean by "amplified bass", maybe when you make a video with it I will hear it better. No its not a Heligonka... this is a specific style of accordion, yoursmay be a diatonic, but it's a different style of accordion. Heligonka have a very distinct style and look:

By the way, congratulations on the purchase, I hope it serves you for many years and gives you countless hours of pleasure! :)

Not sure what you mean by "amplified bass", maybe when you make a video with it I will hear it better. No its not a Heligonka... this is a specific style of accordion, yoursmay be a diatonic, but it's a different style of accordion. Heligonka have a very distinct style and look:

By the way, congratulations on the purchase, I hope it serves you for many years and gives you countless hours of pleasure! :)
I think that if it has the correct button arrangement (diatonic, no Gleichton on the left) and helicon basses, "Heligonka" may be the most accurate description anyway. The only reasonably detailed Wikipedia page, by the way, happens to be the German one. "Distinct style and look" is not listed there as a requirement.

It's not the first Heligonka of @RYLUNDO I think, so he'll be able to judge whether it plays like one. If it does, there does not seem to be a point in calling it anything else.

It actually does have gleichtons, so it does have the slovenian layout rather than the standard bohemian layout. That is one reason I believe it is a heligonka. While it doesn't necessarily look like the traditional heligonka, it has a lot of similar features to a well known brand known as John Kuchar. When I say amplified bass, I mean it has the sound of helikon reeds on the bass side. I can only play the outside row because the inner rows have gleightons but this can be changed at some point.

The trick is to only ever buy an instrument if you absolutely positively have a definite use for it that cannot possibly be catered for by any other of your instruments.
By strict adherence to this principle I have managed to confine the number of my instruments to less than a few dozen.
What??? :oops: Where is the fun in that? :cool:

Back