• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Is a digital accordion a good choice?

So going by that, a 3x at the same price of a 1x would be a better choice then, given it has more basses and treble-buttons (and more buttons for changing settings I guess). Unless smaller size is the preference?

So going by that, a 3x at the same price of a 1x would be a better choice then, given it has more basses and treble-buttons (and more buttons for changing settings I guess). Unless smaller size is the preference?
That's what my takeaway was from sifting through the documentation (having owned neither instrument myself). Most people looking for an FR-1x seem to be size/weight driven, however. It's also likely that the onboard speakers of the 3x deliver somewhat better results given that they are working in a less limited environment. Unless, of course, you want constrained bass rendition because your main practice hours will be in the night and don't care for your instrument punching through walls.

Nothing wrong with the Roland Fr3xb.
I have both the fr3xb and the fr8xb and like them both.
Check out the 3xb on You Tube.
Loads of demos there

You threw me for a loop there. I was not familiar with Dorgival Dantas. Thanks for the introduction.

One thing's certain, I'll never be on stage in front of thousands of enthused people, playing either an accordion-ish instrument or an authentic accordion and singing in Portuguese.

Thanks for Sharing ...............A fine player and entertainer ...................
I've never seen a microphone stand like the one he is using ...............It seems perfect to use when playing the accordion standing up .
If anyone knows a link to a site with that type of microphone stand please share it with me .

Reactions: Tom
I play both digital and acoustic accordions. I like them both. The digital is so practical for gigging, just plug and play! Plus you have access to many accordion models and registers, plus MIDI. I have been playing a Roland FR18 for almost 10 years, and I also had a FR-1xb but I found it too small and the bellows too stiff. I bought a second hand FR-3xb, which is much better, and sold the FR-1xb. Digitals are fun.

I play both digital and acoustic accordions. I like them both. The digital is so practical for gigging, just plug and play! Plus you have access to many accordion models and registers, plus MIDI. I have been playing a Roland FR18 for almost 10 years, and I also had a FR-1xb but I found it too small and the bellows too stiff. I bought a second hand FR-3xb, which is much better, and sold the FR-1xb. Digitals are fun.
I totally agree horses for courses as the saying goes.

I tried gigging with my FR1x but found it uncomfortable. More of a feeling than anything else. I probably could've made it work if I persisted. It's certainly got enough 'playability'.

I tried gigging with my FR1x but found it uncomfortable. More of a feeling than anything else. I probably could've made it work if I persisted. It's certainly got enough 'playability'.
I understand! My FR18 has no internal speakers, so it always needs amplification, playing at home or on a stage is kind of the same experience, except on stage, I really need a monitor.

Thankfully this faux thread by alleged Newbie poster died a natural death. There is a category carved out for digital & midi accordions where this discussion belongs and should have been posted, just sayin

Regards,
RTW

And just like that, you revived the thread!

As a newcomer it is never easy to decide the best place for a thread, and I guess that going in a digital sub forum could give more biased answers perhaps?

Anyway, if anyone happens to wonder, I have contacted some people and I hope to secure either a fr-1xb or a fr-3xb shortly, though supply seems to be shorter than the general interest. But for my part, the thread has been answered. Unless anyone is very curious about following the journey regarding actually buying one, but I will probably give an update about that regardless.

Thankfully this faux thread by alleged Newbie poster died a natural death. There is a category carved out for digital & midi accordions where this discussion belongs and should have been posted, just sayin

Regards,
RTW
Shhhhhh. We almost got him to believe we are a friendly and welcoming bunch. Now who are we going to sell our old stinkers to?

Just a final update in case anyone need closure (and to spite RTW!):
I ended up making a listing for buying an accordion, and got a response after some time with a very good offer for a FR-1xb that I accepted. It arrived yesterday, and to be honest I believe that I really lucked out on this deal. The accordion is in prestine condition (and max 2 years old based on documentation with it), and it included the bag (which also seems unused) and an extra set of upgraded shoulder straps (the latter wasn't even mentioned by the seller). So after unwrapping it and testing it, I would say that I certainly got a bargain here. The only thing I can think of as a negative is that it is a little tricky to get the accordion into the bag with the upgraded straps (but seriously, how could I even complain about that as I also got the original straps as well)?

After the initial testing to verify that all buttons and knobs were working, I played around for about half an hour just to see how it felt to actually try playing melodies on it. I am pleased to say that I found it very enjoyable, and I feel confident that this accordion will provide me with years of enjoyment. While it certainly is not the same as a "real" accordion, for me as a newcommer I find that is it similar enough. Even though I am familiar with the piano, I am glad I opted for buttons. It seems like something that will become very intuitive once I can get the time spent to "program" my fingers for it.

So I guess my main point in this update is as information to anyone who happens to be in a similar situation as I was. If you want an accordion, but for some reason can't play a real one, definantly consider a digital (and if possible, try one). At least as long as you are aware of the "shortcommings" of a digital one, and can accept that. For me at least, I just regret not finding out about digitals sooner. I have years of cathing up to do now, and the hardest part will probably be not jumping straight to more advanced songs than I should. Children's music, here I come.

I ended up making a listing for buying an accordion, and got a response after some time with a very good offer for a FR-1xb that I accepted. It arrived yesterday, and to be honest I believe that I really lucked out on this deal. The accordion is in prestine condition (and max 2 years old based on documentation with it), and it included the bag (which also seems unused) and an extra set of upgraded shoulder straps (the latter wasn't even mentioned by the seller). So after unwrapping it and testing it, I would say that I certainly got a bargain here. The only thing I can think of as a negative is that it is a little tricky to get the accordion into the bag with the upgraded straps (but seriously, how could I even complain about that as I also got the original straps as well)?

After the initial testing to verify that all buttons and knobs were working, I played around for about half an hour just to see how it felt to actually try playing melodies on it. I am pleased to say that I found it very enjoyable, and I feel confident that this accordion will provide me with years of enjoyment. While it certainly is not the same as a "real" accordion, for me as a newcommer I find that is it similar enough. Even though I am familiar with the piano, I am glad I opted for buttons. It seems like something that will become very intuitive once I can get the time spent to "program" my fingers for it.

So I guess my main point in this update is as information to anyone who happens to be in a similar situation as I was. If you want an accordion, but for some reason can't play a real one, definantly consider a digital (and if possible, try one). At least as long as you are aware of the "shortcommings" of a digital one, and can accept that. For me at least, I just regret not finding out about digitals sooner. I have years of cathing up to do now, and the hardest part will probably be not jumping straight to more advanced songs than I should. Children's music, here I come.
I'm so pleased for you ...........Good luck I'm sure you will make steady progress

Best of luck with your FR1xb. It may take some getting used to the small size, but especially with this small model you get a lot more with the button version than with the piano version.
I'm hoping that KORG will be coming out with something really good in the size of an FR4xb. I would really like to have a (digital) accordion that never goes out of tune. I'm getting increasingly frustrated at how fast accordions go out of tune, and how reeds start suffering from metal-fatigue... all a thing of the past with digital.

Best of luck with your FR1xb. It may take some getting used to the small size, but especially with this small model you get a lot more with the button version than with the piano version.
I'm hoping that KORG will be coming out with something really good in the size of an FR4xb. I would really like to have a (digital) accordion that never goes out of tune. I'm getting increasingly frustrated at how fast accordions go out of tune, and how reeds start suffering from metal-fatigue... all a thing of the past with digital.
I think part of the issue with you Paul is that you have an unbelievably good ear for picking up very small nuances in accordion reeds. I'm sure it doesn't just end with accordions - you most likely have the same ability with other instruments. I've heard you comment on some videos that I thought sounded great and then when I went to the part that you mentioned and I REALLY REALLY listened for it I could also hear it. And then it bothered me! The fact that you can hear this immediately amazes me. I do not have that ability.

My Excelsior 960 has not been tuned since new. I think if you were to hear it you'd either immediately tune every reed or put in back in the box for the next 20 years. I know you wouldn't play it!

I think part of the issue with you Paul is that you have an unbelievably good ear for picking up very small nuances in accordion reeds. I'm sure it doesn't just end with accordions - you most likely have the same ability with other instruments. I've heard you comment on some videos that I thought sounded great and then when I went to the part that you mentioned and I REALLY REALLY listened for it I could also hear it. And then it bothered me! The fact that you can hear this immediately amazes me. I do not have that ability.

My Excelsior 960 has not been tuned since new. I think if you were to hear it you'd either immediately tune every reed or put in back in the box for the next 20 years. I know you wouldn't play it!
You are probably correct here. The problem with such hearing is that once you hear a flaw you cannot "unhear" it and if it bothers you you cannot later ignore it and not be bothered by it.
Let me give you a simple example: Listen to the beginning of this video (one of my recordings). Just past 0:14 you can hear an F# that is out of tune and at 0:18 the same F# occurs again and now it is correctly in tune. (The out of tune note was on pull and the good one on push.) I cannot help but be bothered by that note at 0:14 every time I hear that recording. Nobody else seems to notice...

Just a final update in case anyone need closure
Great news.
I was in a similar boat earlier this year and also took the digital version as my first accordion.
I recently bought an acoustic one, and I’m really grateful for the Roland still. Maybe there’s a method to play the acoustic quietly, but I haven’t found it yet, so the Roland and headphones are my favorite method of practicing during the nighttime.

The FR-1x feels so light compared to the acoustic, is about 4 kilos less, and my back and shoulders notice the difference.

The point where the acoustic feels way better is at the bellows. For once they feel with much less resistance (without feeling leaky) and for some reason I can do the same amount of bars pulling / pushing in the acoustic but not on the Roland.

Have a blast with the accordion!

Last edited:
Back