• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Minimal practice instrument for CBA

I have now had for years, and much enjoyed, "MusixPro" by Shiverware. It allows all sorts of iPad keyboard layouts, including both CBA B and C, Janko, Harmonic, etc. With headphones and any MIDI instrument (lots built-in, but plays well with others) it is as portable as one might imagine. Tactile response is great, but missing that third-dimension button-ness, to be sure. I try to attach a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.png
    IMG_0263.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I need one of those accordions that works with minimal practice that’s for sure. Mine doesn’t seem to be functioning properly.

I just took up learning to play harp, I have a bigger problem than you have, in the area of a portable practice instrument :D
That's the same problem I had with my 400 lb. B3 and 200 lb. Leslie. I am now in the process of selling both of them after having them for 55 years. I can get all of the sounds of my B3 and 122 Leslie with my 8X, Neo Microvent 122, and Bose L1 Pro8. The big thing for me is that my "new system" is portable and I can take it to the people. They really enjoy the "sound" that I create. It brings back memories for them.

I am using an FR-1xb as a starter instrument, but I don't have to use headphones.
And I'm very glad: it sounds pretty bad through headphones.
In particular, the attack on each note is instantaneous, which sounds totally artificial.
There may be a workaround for this, maybe just a different register; I just went back to the internal speakers and haven't researched it.

I’ve been learning C-system CBA since last June. More sporadically than I’d like due to illness. But I am making good progress. Usually play on my French 4-row Maugein box. But sometimes eg at night sitting on the sofa I might play on my iPad.

Here is the app I use:

And this is what it looks like as I hold it up vertically to play:

IMG_6999.jpeg

Sure it doesn’t have a physical haptic response effect, but I find it very playable, especially with the audio response. And you can use headphones. Though it might be a bit unsteady to hold on a train. I find it handy for odd moments when I’d like to run over some core exercises or a tune that I’m learning. I tend to focus on the right hand, because I’m a very long term piano accordionist newly learning the CBA. But both can be played together. And with or without bass I find the app handy as an extra option.

The Apple App Store has the PA version too and both are really quite effective and inexpensive. I was looking for something to help me learn a little about CBA, what’s more using air pods (or similar) it’s easy to work out fingerings. Nice one @vivdunstan and Nice Two Hohner!

Back