• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

New Musatunix Digital Piano Accordion

Aha! I may have found my niche in the accordion world....With practice, I think I could learn to be the "third hand" pushing the selection buttons on the piano side!

But seriously, it looks like a very flexible and capable instrument, when in good hands. Thanks!

Does this need special programming by a third party expert? I find this very disturbing that purchasers have to go through many hours of programming. I used Roland Synths and keyboards for several decades. Never had to go through so much sound setup as I have done on my FR4x. Yes, we have different tastes in sound. This demo may suite many whom enjoy playing accordion music with an arranger built in which I believe I am hearing. But what is more important to me is how to access the Songs or setups. When playing a show or a dance, you need to get to the next song without a delay. Can you Use Songbook Plus iPad app to access the programs/songs? Use a Bluetooth pedal to control arranger start, stop, variations, next song, accordion sounds?

So, the trend is that manufacturers show ā€œthe basicsā€ of what any digital instrument can do, but the key selling point is wide range of sounds and hundreds Iā€™d not thousands of variations based on being able to program the accordion. This can go from something simple like 8 buttons that equate to 8 drawbars of an organ to any combination that you can dream upā€¦ to being able to take a simple sound and modify any of itā€™s 128 parameters to change itā€™s sound. This concept was used on the old legacy Yamaha DX keyboards back as far back as the early 80ā€™sā€¦ so the concept of programming a device to get it to make a sound we want and saving it later to recall it is nothing new.

This is the price of versatilityā€¦ LOTS of choices, lots of fooling around. If it was not so, it would soon fade and fall to its competitors.

Now if the question is do we need experts to program them for usā€¦ sure if the owner doesnā€™t want to learn who to do it on their own instrument, that is the only option besides living with the limited factory options. Besides, we are not really hardcore programming, weā€™re just making selections of sounds that go well together and changing a few of their parameters. The old Yamaha units went WAY deeper in terms of available options and things we could do. Pickup an old DX7 or ( what I own) an FB-01 if you want to get a headache just going through the parameters of a single sine wave to make it sound like a steel drum or clap of thunder. :)

Maybe the Roland was programmed less because you liked and used the available soundsā€¦ I bet itā€™s programmability is no less complex as any other arranger on the market. I was looking at the options in an Event X, it made my head spin at all that one could do!!

Last edited:
Does this need special programming by a third party expert? I find this very disturbing that purchasers have to go through many hours of programming. I used Roland Synths and keyboards for several decades. Never had to go through so much sound setup as I have done on my FR4x. Yes, we have different tastes in sound. This demo may suite many whom enjoy playing accordion music with an arranger built in which I believe I am hearing. But what is more important to me is how to access the Songs or setups. When playing a show or a dance, you need to get to the next song without a delay. Can you Use Songbook Plus iPad app to access the programs/songs? Use a Bluetooth pedal to control arranger start, stop, variations, next song, accordion sounds?
I actually like all the programming choices they have given us it allows us to make the instrument sound exactly the way the user wants and to behave (button programming) the way the user wants and in that you end up with a very personalized instrument

Aha! I may have found my niche in the accordion world....With practice, I think I could learn to be the "third hand" pushing the selection buttons on the piano side!
I think this doesn't work visually. In contrast to performing the same function in a church organ, the registrant is constantly invading in the player's "personal space" and does not have the appearance of a helper but of a nuisance.

. . . 8 buttons that equate to 8 drawbars of an organ to any combination that you can dream upā€¦
---With volume adjust from 0-8 on each drawbar. On a Hammond, there are 9 drawbars corresponding to different footages (16 Ft. to 1 Ft.) of a pipe organ.

---With volume adjust from 0-8 on each button/drawbar. Actually there are 9 drawbars corresponding to different footages (16 Ft. to 1 Ft.) of a pipe organ.
On what, the 8X? I was referring to other accordions, the #8 comes from my Elka. :)

On what, the 8X? I was referring to other accordions, the #8 comes from my Elka. :)
Yes, my comment was relative to an 8X. I'm referring to your comment . . ."equate to 8 drawbars of an organ". The only drawbars I am familiar with are the type that are on a Hammond. On the 8X, if you go to Menu item 7.1, the screen is a duplicate of Hammond's 9 drawbars, with the footages and volume control for each.

Yes, my comment was relative to an 8X. I'm referring to your comment . . ."equate to 8 drawbars of an organ". The only drawbars I am familiar with are the type that are on a Hammond. On the 8X, if you go to Menu item 7.1, the screen is a duplicate of Hammond's 9 drawbars, with the footages and volume control for each.
Yup, I know it well... been there dozens of times. :)

I think this doesn't work visually. In contrast to performing the same function in a church organ, the registrant is constantly invading in the player's "personal space" and does not have the appearance of a helper but of a nuisance.
I agree. I could learn to be a nuisance! Ask "herself" and she might confirm I am nearly there....

Reactions: dak
So, the trend is that manufacturers show ā€œthe basicsā€ of what any digital instrument can do, but the key selling point is wide range of sounds and hundreds Iā€™d not thousands of variations based on being able to program the accordion. This can go from something simple like 8 buttons that equate to 8 drawbars of an organ to any combination that you can dream upā€¦ to being able to take a simple sound and modify any of itā€™s 128 parameters to change itā€™s sound. This concept was used on the old legacy Yamaha DX keyboards back as far back as the early 80ā€™sā€¦ so the concept of programming a device to get it to make a sound we want and saving it later to recall it is nothing new.

This is the price of versatilityā€¦ LOTS of choices, lots of fooling around. If it was not so, it would soon fade and fall to its competitors.

Now if the question is do we need experts to program them for usā€¦ sure if the owner doesnā€™t want to learn who to do it on their own instrument, that is the only option besides living with the limited factory options. Besides, we are not really hardcore programming, weā€™re just making selections of sounds that go well together and changing a few of their parameters. The old Yamaha units went WAY deeper in terms of available options and things we could do. Pickup an old DX7 or ( what I own) an FB-01 if you want to get a headache just going through the parameters of a single sine wave to make it sound like a steel drum or clap of thunder. :)

Maybe the Roland was programmed less because you liked and used the available soundsā€¦ I bet itā€™s programmability is no less complex as any other arranger on the market. I was looking at the options in an Event X, it made my head spin at all that one could do!!
The Korg Pa5x is an amazing arranger too. Create a songbook list, sounds good out of the box and the song number is compatible to SongbookPlus. But accordionists seem to want modules or more compact setups. Which is fine, but I just play accordion if it requires it, otherwise a keyboardists. Find more versatility this way. When in Florida I played Keyboard gigs and accordion depending on the venue type. A oldies show, I would rather rattle the keys on the Korg. Now a house gig, no need to get a arranger module since I do not need setup time. I think we should stick to what we are accustomed to. Musitunix would be my first choice to try if needing an arranger module. Been looking at this for quite some time. Whether you have an arranger module or keyboard arranger, you still have to take it out of the case and set it on a stand, connect wires. These type of accordion with built in arrangers may be the next generation and I am sure many more will be popping up.

Keyboardists have that advantage over accordionists, we cannot reach that left hand out there to hit the pitch key, drum fills and all, that is a big advantage over us. :)

But seriously, it looks like a very flexible and capable instrument, when in good hands. Thanks!
Hi David, it was I who did the selection on the side from the camera in that video. That guy playing is indeed a talented accordion player, specifically when it comes to jazz or Balkan style of music. But once you figure out what you need, you do not need a 3rd hand to switch the styles or sounds.

Nice, not sure if this necessarily ā€œbeatsā€ a Roland, but I welcome anything new in the digital accordion world. Competition and/or development of any kind is a GOOD thing!
Jerry, of course it's hard to beat Roland with their resources and factories, however my intent was to make an instrument which has features the other brands are lacking. Basically, that is tons of musical styles and jazz chords support (~ 50 extended, widely sounding chords in manual and automatic modes). Plus convenient big touchscreen for quick access to all features in it.

Back