• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Problems with Roland FR4X operation when exiting user programs

Geoff

Reaction score
Hi
I'm having some problems with my FR4X accordion when exiting user program mode.

When I press the user program button the first time it seems to enter user program mode OK and I can select the user programs via the register buttons as normal.
However when I press the user program button again, to exit the mode and go back to standard mode, whichever of the the orchestra, organ, orch bass, orch chord, fbass, drums etc. that were in use at the time in the program mode, do not turn off.

Once I have switched them off manually the accordion will often go into the "B" register mode whem scrolling through the sets with the + and - buttons. If I reset this to the "A" mode, as soon as I press + or - it reverts to "B" mode.
There are various other anomolies that I have discovered, and probably some that I haven't.

I've performed a full factory reset but it's still the same.

Have any of you more experienced users had a similar problem, and how did you fix it?
I've only had it since March, so I'm still finding my way around it.

Thanks in advance of any tips or tricks to get this working again.

The FR-4X is similar to my 8X. Here's what's happens when I go into User Program mode (UPG) on my 8X.
When I go to UPG and make selection with a register switch, I get the UPG I programmed. When I press the UPG button again, I get the "standard mode" start-up screen just as you did. Also, the UPG that I selected is still there, just as you experienced. You really are in the "standard mode". However, you need to make a selection, in this mode, from one of the register switches on your 4X. Once you make the selection, you should now be back to the "standard mode" selections that were there when you started.
Hope this helps,
John

Hi
I'm having some problems with my FR4X accordion when exiting user program mode.

When I press the user program button the first time it seems to enter user program mode OK and I can select the user programs via the register buttons as normal.
However when I press the user program button again, to exit the mode and go back to standard mode, whichever of the the orchestra, organ, orch bass, orch chord, fbass, drums etc. that were in use at the time in the program mode, do not turn off.

Once I have switched them off manually the accordion will often go into the "B" register mode whem scrolling through the sets with the + and - buttons. If I reset this to the "A" mode, as soon as I press + or - it reverts to "B" mode.
There are various other anomolies that I have discovered, and probably some that I haven't.

I've performed a full factory reset but it's still the same.

Have any of you more experienced users had a similar problem, and how did you fix it?
I've only had it since March, so I'm still finding my way around it.

Thanks in advance of any tips or tricks to get this working again.
I have a similar problem with my 4x. Let's say press the UPG button to get to user programs, and then pick a UPG program. When I am done with it I press the User Program button again to leave the UPG. At this point I am taken to the work area screen (WA), which still has the UPG settings, not the set I went to the UPG from. I then press the + button and it brings me back to the correct set. Usually, the set instrumentation is correct for my set, sometimes it comes back with sounds from the UPG I exited from. Go figure. Sorry I don't have an answer but at least you are not alone.

Another quirk of my 4x (which is shared by my 8x) is if I use a snare drum sound and hit a bass button a little too hard, like when I am playing some rock song, the bass will sustain until I turn the 4x off and then on again. My Roland dealer who is a friend, tried swapping out the bass machine with a new one and the same thing still happens. Problem is that this happens intermittently and not always on the same bass note so it's almost impossible to find the problem Just another quirk I can't find an answer for.

This is as designed by Roland. Exit any UPG, leaves all settings as is in the WA. One way of fixing it, would be to save a UPG with a prefferred standard setting originating from the SET you want when you are outside UPGs.

Back